How bad is the eris compared to the droid?

Christian

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm gonna get the Droid. So I may just get the Eris, I was wondering if its that bad.. Whats good about it, and whats bad..

I've been watching reviews on youtube it doesn't sound too bad.. But I want your guys opinion please!

What doesn't it have, that the droid does?

Mojo

Reaction score
I dont think there is any thing "bad" per say about the Eris. The main differences is, it runs Sense UI (some say this slows the device down a bit) it don't have quite as fast as a processor as the droid. and the Droid is running 2.0 OS vs. 1.5. But both are good devices and the Eris will get updated to 2.0 or 2.1 sometime next year

Dr. Tenma

Reaction score
There is also the whole keyboard issue, which can effect gamers that use a lot of buttons...

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
Very nice phone. My wife just got one. The only thing that bothers me about it is the size. It feels a little "dainty" in my hands.:lifting:

OP
C

Christian

Reaction score
I dont think there is any thing "bad" per say about the Eris. The main differences is, it runs Sense UI (some say this slows the device down a bit) it don't have quite as fast as a processor as the droid. and the Droid is running 2.0 OS vs. 1.5. But both are good devices and the Eris will get updated to 2.0 or 2.1 sometime next year

Really? Yeah, so the Eris may be able to catch up to the droid after the year? Other than the speed and battery.. So for free (with 2 year contract) is a good deal?

There is also the whole keyboard issue, which can effect gamers that use a lot of buttons...

Yeah, thats true. I actually like the virtual one better..l:icon_ banana:

Very nice phone. My wife just got one. The only thing that bothers me about it is the size. It feels a little "dainty" in my hands.:lifting:
Thats the only thing!? Man, I think I'm gonna get it then.:D I can't wait!!!

JayMonster

Reaction score
As noted, it really is nothing more than a matter of choice. Yes, the rumor is that the Eris will be brought up to 2.0 (or 2.1)... but just because it gets the same "rev" does not entirely mean that it is "caught up" to the Droid.

The screen will never be the same size or resolution. There is no GPU in the Eris. And the MSM7201 - 528 Mhz processor is a far cry short of the OMAP processor in the Droid. So,when all is said and done, you will still have a lesser phone.

That being said, there is still nothing wrong with the Eris. It is (I believe) the best looking of all the "Hero" phones, and whether it is the squarish European edition, the odd looking edition on Sprint or the Eris, the phone is well liked.

Really, what it boils down to is what you want to spend. If you are willing to pay up for a better quality phone, get the Droid, if price is a major factor, then by all means get the Eris, it may not be up to the level of the Droid, but it is far better than even some more expensive WinMo and Blackberry phones.

OP
C

Christian

Reaction score
As noted, it really is nothing more than a matter of choice. Yes, the rumor is that the Eris will be brought up to 2.0 (or 2.1)... but just because it gets the same "rev" does not entirely mean that it is "caught up" to the Droid.

The screen will never be the same size or resolution. There is no GPU in the Eris. And the MSM7201 - 528 Mhz processor is a far cry short of the OMAP processor in the Droid. So,when all is said and done, you will still have a lesser phone.

That being said, there is still nothing wrong with the Eris. It is (I believe) the best looking of all the "Hero" phones, and whether it is the squarish European edition, the odd looking edition on Sprint or the Eris, the phone is well liked.

Really, what it boils down to is what you want to spend. If you are willing to pay up for a better quality phone, get the Droid, if price is a major factor, then by all means get the Eris, it may not be up to the level of the Droid, but it is far better than even some more expensive WinMo and Blackberry phones.

Okay, I see what you mean. But, even if I get bored of the eris I might be able to sell it and get a droid.

Yeah, thats what I've been hearing.. I really want the droid, but I don't know if I can, so the Eris would be great!

Mhm, my Dad is going on and off so I'm like its alright, I'll get the Eris..

Another question though do you think verizon will match the price of this https://mobility.dell.com/specialoffer.aspx?cid=35693_dd4033a8cda9401092500d00503860c8 ? Because if they do, I would get the Eris right away.. And also, do I still have to be allowed to get an upgrade?

Thanks!:icon_ banana:

JayMonster

Reaction score
Honestly... I don't know... but I have never heard of a VZW store matching prices with a third party dealer like that. Might as well ask... what is the worst they could do... say no?

OP
C

Christian

Reaction score
Honestly... I don't know... but I have never heard of a VZW store matching prices with a third party dealer like that. Might as well ask... what is the worst they could do... say no?

Yeah, they said no they don't match.. But now I know that its $20 more a month... I thought it was just like the $10 a month, but its $30!

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you don't need a physical keyboard, the eris is definitely worth a look. either the HTC or MOTO will be far better than anything you have had so far (especially if you are on verizon).. the debate rages on, but it really just boils down to personal preference. yes, the moto is "better" than the htc, but not by the same margin that the eris is "better" than everything else.