How bad is reception on note2?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note 2' started by Blackcharger06, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Blackcharger06

Blackcharger06 New Member

I have a thunderbolt now, and It's time for something new. I wanted the galaxy s3 but was told and saw first hand that people were dropping calls. I'm not sure if that is a Boston Area thing or what? I have talked to a few samsung reps and they claim it is a software issue, but that they are aware of the problem and that issue was fixed in the Note 2. Can somone tell me what the signal stength is? I average around -70-80 dbm with the thunderbolt. I really want this phone but not if I am going to be dropping calls...
  2. Caesars

Caesars Well-Known Member

I can't tell you what it's like around your location, but I can say that it beats out my maxx connection wise.

Return of the Android
  3. geoff5093

geoff5093 New Member

I've noticed the Note 2 to be about 5-10dBm worse than the DNA and Thunderbolt, but so far I haven't had a problem with it even in poor coverage areas.
  4. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 DF Administrator Staff Member

In Kansas - no signal / connection issues with the Note 2...I have the S3 as well and it definitely seems improved.
  5. Wadman

Wadman Member

Consistently my signal strength is around 114-118 dbm. In my building that I work in, I never was able to get a 4g signal with my nexus and now I have a great connection. I work in a school so there are tons of wires and network cables that have always caused me to drop calls. I did a conference call with my new note and it lasted 20 minutes or so and was clear as a bell. So yes. For me the signal is much better than my nexus. I didn't know how bad my signal really was until I got this beast!!!!
  6. Tonik

Tonik Member

No issues here at all. Calls are rock solid and voice quality is far better than my Bionic. Data is also rock solid.
  7. Domestic violence

Domestic violence Member

I'm hesitant to take the plunge having had so many issues with the Nexus. My Maxx is like a tank.
  8. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

This phone is like night and day from the nexus. But I understand as i swore off samsung devices after my nexus. Amazing what having better reception will do with how you feel about a oem.
  9. toperm

toperm New Member

I am consistently around 105.. Have not lost a call yet where my Charge lost lots of calls.
  10. exmeaguy

exmeaguy New Member

What apps are everyone using to measure signal strength?
  11. daudi81

daudi81 New Member

I've had the nexus, s3, and now the note 2. The nexus had bad reception, the note 2 does not. My wife had my old s3 and we compare signal strengths and speed, and the note 2 consistently does better. It obviously has different hardware in the reception department because it's very noticeable in my area.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  12. Serpico

Serpico DF News Team Premium Member Premium Member

Perfect here in Dallas/Ft. Worth areas. Solid sound quality with no complaints from the other side either.
  13. AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006 New Member

Service just as good ad my Bionic or better. Been pleased.
  14. bsweetness

bsweetness Moderator

Most people are probably just using what the phone itself shows for signal strength (Settings -> About Phone -> Status) instead of using an app.

The reception on my Note 2 has been rock solid. Samsung made some major strides on the reception front with the S3, and they've refined that even further with the Note 2. Like many, I had major reception issues with the Nexus (as well as the Charge and Stratosphere), but the S3 and now the Note 2 have been a night and day difference when compared to those devices.
  15. big al

big al Member

coming from a VZW Gnex it is fantastic. I thought the signal around here sucked when it was indeed my phone. and yes my wife still has her GNex and her signal still sucks
  16. Blackcharger06

I've read on other forums that older phones that run on 4g were showing the 3g signal. the -db signal was the 3g not the 4g signal. Now that people are buying newer phones that are showing the -db settings of the 4g signal that is not as strong as 3g was. So what was a good signal on a 3g phone of lets say -80db is is now -110db on a 4g phone and there is almost no differnce in call quality. Idunno if I agree with this but I understand that could be possible. My whole reason for this post is I have also found tha that the radio (antenna that makes calls) in the samsung galaxy s3 is the same that is in the note 2. So what that means is that it is threw software that is improving the quality not hardware with in the phone. Another guy told me that with jellybean the reception issues wil be fixed. I just wann make sure this thing is better then my current phone (htc thunderbolt which is 2 oz heavier due to extdended battery) and has better phone reception then my friends who went out and got the S3 to use and drop calls. I also notice that friends with the droid razr usually have the best reception, ( all my friends have verzion) Had anyone done a side by side -db signal test for a samsung s3 note 2 and droid razr maxx hd?
  17. Tonik

Tonik Member

I don't agree with that, they are mixing radios and meters. The db meter is the cell radio and has nothing to do with 3g or 4g. Those are data and are a seperate radio.

Fwiw I have minus 96db in my note while my wife's s3 has 99 right next to it.
  18. Blackcharger06

Well I talked to some app designer and what I was told was that the sofware/radio/antenna are all the same. The reason the reception/bars/signal is better in the note 2 vs the galaxy s3 is due to the lay out. The way the phone is made there is more room in the note 2 so it is set up better and able to get a better signal. Not a huge difference but a noticeable one, and one that many others are realizing.
  19. big al

big al Member

I use Network signal Info app
  20. Wonmotyme

Wonmotyme New Member

Anyone else notice a qualcomm 4g sticker on the top side of their phone after getting it? Just curious
Search tags for this page
galaxy note 2 antenna problem

galaxy note 2 reception

galaxy note 2 signal strength
galaxy s3 vs note 2 reception

note 2 reception

qualcomm 4g sticker
samsung galaxy note 2 poor reception
samsung galaxy note 2 signal issues
samsung note 2 bad reception
samsung note 2 poor reception

samsung note 2 reception