How Bad Is Heat from Extended Video Recording?

BIrONIC

Reaction score
I know the obvious answer is that heat is bad for electronics in general, but I'm wondering if there are any real-world experiences out there on the Bionic yet.

Eventually, I will purchase a dedicated, mobile, video surveillance system, but for now, I'm testing out some apps that do this sort of thing (in particular, right now I'm using 'DailyRoads Voyager', which seems pretty nice), and after recording video all the way home from work (can be an hour or even two on heavy traffic days), the Bionic is pretty hot.

Now, to be clear, it's not way too hot like it seems something is wrong with it. I think it is completely normal, and it doesn't bother me. I'm just wondering if it's OK to do that, or will that severely reduce the amount of time that I will have it around?

Any experience with this kind of thing?

Oh, and does anyone have any suggestions for a good car dock app? I'm testing Car Home Ultra right now, and it seems pretty cool. I've also tried others, but this one seems like the most helpful in a finished package so far.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
as far as heat goes it will decrease battery life more than anything .. but honestly i dont think you are hurting it .. it is not much diffrent than watching a movie on netflix or something similar to that.. i honestly use the moto dock made for the bionic.

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
as far as heat goes it will decrease battery life more than anything .. but honestly i dont think you are hurting it .. it is not much diffrent than watching a movie on netflix or something similar to that.. i honestly use the moto dock made for the bionic.

Moto dock = Ya, I use the physical one from them in the vehicle. However, I'm talking about software.
...or do you mean their default app?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you say hot, what is the temperature?

You can get an app called GSam Battery Monitor (recommeded by FoxKat), which'll tell you that.

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto dock = Ya, I use the physical one from them in the vehicle. However, I'm talking about software.
...or do you mean their default app?

sorry about that i guess i missed the app part .. but i did use factory app..

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
When you say hot, what is the temperature?

You can get an app called GSam Battery Monitor (recommeded by FoxKat), which'll tell you that.

Well, I'm not exactly sure of the temp, but it's 'hot to the touch'....not like I could cook on it, but hotter than I'd want directly touching my face, for example.

I downloaded and tried that one and about 2 or 3 other apps that claim to be able to tell me the temp of the battery, but I don't think they work on my Bionic (the 6 million dollar retard). After recording all the way home, the hottest it read was 77 f for bat temp, and right now, after hours of just sitting there, not doing anything, it says 75 f......and isn't hot at all....could have been off for that whole time since I got home if I didn't know already that it's been on.

rckrz6

Reaction score
The phone goes into a low power state to cool down if its over heating.. i left my phone in the sun once and that's what happen

OP
B

BIrONIC

Reaction score
The phone goes into a low power state to cool down if its over heating.. i left my phone in the sun once and that's what happen

It's pretty nice to have a phone that does that. What a wonderful life it is now that we have smart phones.

In my case, I'm not talking about it getting way too hot in any,, single, given event.
I'm simply talking about constantly using it as a video recording device for prolonged periods of time. It's not going into low power mode, because it's not that hot. It's just that, I'm wondering about the long-term consequences of using it like this.

Even though it's not registering as a BAD thing during the recording, and it keeps on going just fine, is there any significant problem that anyone knows of with using it like this over time?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had it reach 125 degrees, mainly because the screen was on in my holster (problem with the Screebl app), but it dropped quickly when I found that out. Normally it's between 75 and 90 degrees.