How are they different?

Discussion in 'Droid X Roms' started by jimisbell, Sep 28, 2011.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. jimisbell

jimisbell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to see a paper showing the differences in the various ROMs. In the past I have been trying one and then another and the only differences I can see are battery life and visuals. There must be more and I would think promoters of each ROM would want the word to get out??

Right now, with .605 and thinking I might NOT flash another ROM unless I can see a reason to do so.
  2. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I've never seen anything like this. Different roms will behave differently on individual phones (not to mention usage varies), so I'm not sure how possible it would be to accurately compare such subjective stats. And roms are always changing, so any "guide" that was created would be out of date quickly.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  3. jimisbell

jimisbell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Why would different ROMS behave differently on different phones if they were all Droid X phones? I would expect that any particular ROM would perform the same on all Droid X phones. What would be the reason for anomalies? The differences I would be looking for are the differences of the different ROMs.
  4. Beka27

Beka27 Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    In your OP, you mentioned battery life specifically. Battery life will vary according to individual usage. Speed will vary by phone and how the phone is used. Some DXs are very quick, some lag horribly. It really does depend on the individual phone. Re-reading your post, yes, you could possibly have a chart that says what components of a rom are Blur or AOSP... but even that can change from update to update. You're just not going to get a completely comprehensive comparison. If there are a couple specific roms you're looking at, maybe post a thread with your questions and get user feedback?

My husband and I both have DXs. We have always ran the same roms. He's not into the whole modding thing, so once I find something I like more, I update him to the new rom. And our phones, purchased the same day, running the same rom, with similar apps and widgets, in the same corner of the world, will react very differently sometimes. People have different experiences, even with the same phone.
  5. jimisbell

jimisbell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There are several tests that could be used to compare ROMs and take out the operator variability. As to mentioning Blur or AOSP wouldnt help....unless you had another chart comparing those...LOL

As to battery usage. The differences you are talking about are operator induced, not OS induced and could be easily removed from the equation with testing. Yes, my daily battery usage does change depending on what I am doing...BUT...Liberty 1.0 almost doubled my battery time as compared to the original Mot OS from a year ago.

As a software engineer, I know the OS could be given several tests that would define them. But, I am pretty happy with .605 so have calmed down on swapping ROMS like I did right after I got the phone so its not likely that I will take the time.