How and Where to Move Notification Sounds ....

Agrajag

Reaction score
I'm having a problem I hadn't noticed with my previous phone (the OG Droid) and I've finally realized what's going on.

I have several notification sounds and ringtones that I've put on the phone in what was the right places for them. However, with my RAZR I find that these vanish when the phone is plugged in obviously because the SD card gets unmounted so access is lost.

As I often will charge my phone from my PC (and that being the slower route) it can be pretty mute for hours.

There must be a better way to deal with this. Where can I move the sounds and ring tones to make this stop happening?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If the only reason for plugging your phone into your computer is to charge, just choose a different method besides Mass Storage Mode. Such as MTP or Camera, then the SD card won't be unmounted.

OP
A

Agrajag

Reaction score
I also like to copy files from time to time. Not a huge deal but there must be a way to store these off the SD.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I keep my notifications on my sdcard-ext and I don't have this problem

Daballa

Reaction score
I also came from the O.G. I have mine in media/audio/notifications. I copied it straight from the O.G. It works just fine. I can't remember if I made the media folder myself or the old phone had it setup that way. I also use the media folder for separate alarms and ringtones.

OP
A

Agrajag

Reaction score
I also came from the O.G. I have mine in media/audio/notifications. I copied it straight from the O.G. It works just fine. I can't remember if I made the media folder myself or the old phone had it setup that way. I also use the media folder for separate alarms and ringtones.

So it works on the RAZR when you have it connected to USB and with Mass Storage as the option?

Daballa

Reaction score
Agrajag said:
So it works on the RAZR when you have it connected to USB and with Mass Storage as the option?

Never tried it that way. I think the only sure fire way to have them stick while your connected via usb w/ mass storage is to include them in the system media/audio folder but you have to be rooted to do that with an app like root explorer.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3

While connected USB in Mass Storage mode, you would have to have the notification sounds placed on your internal phone storage in order for it to work properly. That is because in mass storage mode, both your external storage card and internal storage card are unmounted and your phone no longer has access to the files on those two cards... your pc does. If you are stock (not rooted) you can use File Expert (free from play store), open My Files---->Phone Internal Storage---->System ----> Media ---->Audio----Notifications. Save a copy of the files you are moving onto your pc or keep a copy on your sd card (as a backup). So as not to clutter your phone with multiple copies of the same notification sound, once you have the copy backed-up to your pc and you know it works in Mass storage mode, delete the copies on your sd card.

I believe, also in order for this to work, once you move the notifcation sounds to your internal storage, you will have to go into your various apps and re-set up the notification tone by selecting it from the Android System files, otherwise the app will still look for the notification tone in the folder that it was previously stored on.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
In what folder structure, just to be safe?

U have a folder titled "media' and inside it I have a folder for "ringtones" and "notifications"

So its like this. MEDIA: a)ringtones, b)notifications.

Daballa

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
U have a folder titled "media' and inside it I have a folder for "ringtones" and "notifications"

So its like this. MEDIA: a)ringtones, b)notifications.

mine goes: media/audio/a)ringtones b)notifications etc.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, that is the correct folder in the internal phone storage. If you put it on the external sd card, the notification sounds will not work if on usb- mass storage. For explanation, see post #9.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
A

Agrajag

Reaction score
If you are stock (not rooted) you can use File Expert (free from play store), open My Files---->Phone Internal Storage---->System ----> Media ---->Audio----Notifications. Save a copy of the files you are moving onto your pc or keep a copy on your sd card (as a backup). So as not to clutter your phone with multiple copies of the same notification sound, once you have the copy backed-up to your pc and you know it works in Mass storage mode, delete the copies on your sd card.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I was thinking regarding how I expected it to work.

Interesting though: I have Root Explorer (I'm rooted) so I just used that to, at first, copy the files (thus I had dupes showing as expected) but the oddity is that if I picked the one moved to the Internal storage it would not play the expected file but just the default beep sound. Do you have to reboot or does File Expert do something with the files to alter them in some way?

Update: Yep. Seems you have to reboot first for the files to work properly once put into the System hierarchy. All working fine now. Thanks.

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No, root explorer should move them the same as file expert. I only chose file expert because it is the only file explorer that I know that lets you get to those files if you are stock. Odd that it does not play the sound file. I'm gonna have to experiment to see if I can figure out why.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
A

Agrajag

Reaction score
See the post above yours. It's updated with the answer.