How and where should I buy my Bionic?

DoctorV

Reaction score
I never bought a phone on launch day and want to know what's the fastest way I can get it in my hands when it gets released. My friend told me that a lot of times Verizon stores wont have new phones on launch day so I won't be able to line up the night before. He told me I should order it off the Verizon site and they'll overnight ship it to me. Is any of this true? How is everyone else going to get their Bionic?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm either going to buy it online and order next day shipping or I'm just going to call and order it. I haven't decided yet.

I doubt I'm going into the store to get it, especially since I work all day on Thursdays.

AdamPA1006

Reaction score
If its like the Droid 3 launch, then order online. The Droid3 took a week to be in stores

Reaction score
How to buy it: preferably with legal U.S. tender

Where to buy it: at an approved motorola/vzw retailer.

^^:icon_ banana:^^

Prolly pick it up either at best buy or vzw retail. When the D1 dropped and sears had it $50 cheaper a few days post launch, best buy honored the cheaper price. Plus they have that return/buy back policy to switch out for if the phone is a piece of **** = )

Vito.a

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt and Droid 3 launches were different. The Thunderbolt was actually cheaper from some of the online vendors, but you had to order it with a new 2 year agreement. Best Buy and Verizon stores all had it in the first week.

The Droid 3 was only available from Verizon online or over the phone (direct fill) ordering the first week. July 14 will be the first day for the Droid 3 in Verizon stores.

Usually, if you want to be one of the first Bionic owners, you can order on the Verizon web site sometime after midnight on Aug 4 and get overnight shipping. If you want the best price, you can wait a week or so and one of the online vendors (Amazon ect) will usually drop the price. If you wait long enough, refurbished units become available at good discounts.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
So, you're talking like you know when launch day is. Care to share?

illmatic636

Reaction score
August 4th!!! As far as we know, Sams Club will have it then.

Reaction score
So, you're talking like you know when launch day is. Care to share?

They operate on the assumption that since the FCC filing shows the confidentiality agreement ends aug 7th...that the device will either be released prior to that, or shortly thereafter. VZW releases phones on thursdays pegging it either the 4th or 11th. This is all speculation just as all the specs have been up to this point.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Alrighty, so no official release date. Thought I might have missed something. Thanks.

sqchram

Reaction score
Pertaining to this launch, unlimited data grandfathered, my new every two which is up, and ordering from an online retailer vs Verizon.

From what I've read I'm confident that when I use my NE2 and upgrade phones I'll keep my unlimited data grandfathered. My question is Vito.a mentioned that ordering online you'll need to sign a new two year agreement... Isn't that the same thing you do every time you exercize your NE2 discount regardless of the vendor?

illmatic636

Reaction score
That is what I was going by.

Love when people ask for answers to topics they already have the answer for. Almost as if they want to entrap a debate.

Last edited:
OP
DoctorV

DoctorV

Reaction score
That is what I was going by.

Love when people ask for answers to topics they already have the answer for. Almost as if they want to entrap a debate.

Is your statement directed towards me?

illmatic636

Reaction score
No no no. Directed to nobody particular.

Sorry for the confusion.

Vito.a

Reaction score
Pertaining to this launch, unlimited data grandfathered, my new every two which is up, and ordering from an online retailer vs Verizon.

From what I've read I'm confident that when I use my NE2 and upgrade phones I'll keep my unlimited data grandfathered. My question is Vito.a mentioned that ordering online you'll need to sign a new two year agreement... Isn't that the same thing you do every time you exercize your NE2 discount regardless of the vendor?

To get the good pricing you will have to sign a new 2 year agreement (the 1 year Verizon contracts have been eliminated). With Verizon and some of the other dealers, you have the option of buying the phone outright. I think the Thunderbolt was around $649 (Best Buy had it for $749) and the Droid 3 is $460.

Some of the online retailers would not allow you to order a new Thunderbolt in the first few days unless it was a new contract, not just renewing an exisiting contract.