How accurate are apps that locate your device?

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I heard someone on the radio who said they could, with their software, literally pinpoint the location of their misplaced device (in their case, an iPhone) to the exact room in their house where they had placed it. I find it hard to believe, with cell tower triangulation or gps, that such is possible. Is it, though? If not, how close are you all able to pinpoint yours?

Psykho

Reaction score
I use Google maps latitude on my DROID DNA and I can pin point my device it even shows what direction it is pointing ...

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have Lookout Security installed and I would say it knows well within 20 feet, no matter where I've been. If it's lost, I'll find it.

evan2001

Reaction score
If you have wifi on it is much better. Even if you are not logged in to one. Google using them to figure out where you are

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
GREAT first post, tdeamicis! :icon_ banana: And thanks to all who responded to my question. I've downloaded Lookout, and so far I'm pretty impressed...

Reaction score
I used to use Wavesecure. It was great. It would give you location of your device, you could remotely set off an alarm even if the sound was off so you could find it and if you were rooted you could remotely turn on your GPS if it wasn't on. It even has a web UI for it. I was with them since it went into beta. Now McAfee took them over and...Meh.

Now I don't even bother...I never let it out of my pocket unless I am using it anyway so I don't think I need an app to track it. Everything I have on it is in the cloud and backed up anyway so if it goes away I get a new phone and I am up and running in no time.