How about faster orientation switching, like on iPhones?

Rocky

Reaction score
Hey, guys. I wonder if anyone else here thinks that Android phones have slower orientation switches than iPhones (you know, when it goes from portrait to landscape view and visceversa). I'm on my 4th MotoDroid and as far as I remember they've all taken about the same to switch in normal operating conditions.

Does anybody know of an app or any tweak that can be done to kick it up a notch? I'd appreciate it if someone does and share it with me.

Thanks in advance,

Rocky

B

Brucew0617

As I remembered that the orientation switches is really not so fast as iPhone, I just had a compare with my incredible s and iPhone 4.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
i turned mine off, it would go upside down too often, so i do without it.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd rather look for a way to boost a bit that switch. So far nothing on the Market have I found, even for rooted phones.

marleyinoc

Reaction score
My Bionic doesnt quite look as slick as my ipod ..(running 4.2.1) .. seems it has fewer frames of animation or whatever that is... but each go aboit same speed and recognize the time to change in same timeframe...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC w/ Th3ory Purity ROM using DroidForums

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
My Bionic doesnt quite look as slick as my ipod ..(running 4.2.1) .. seems it has fewer frames of animation or whatever that is... but each go aboit same speed and recognize the time to change in same timeframe...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC w/ Th3ory Purity ROM using DroidForums
Really? From what I can remember the Android phones take about twice as long to rotate. I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure that's a fact.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Really? From what I can remember the Android phones take about twice as long to rotate. I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure that's a fact.

Well depends which phone you're comparing. The original droid was indeed quite slow at switching orientation, but today's Android phone switch quickly. My Incredible takes about 2 seconds to switch orientation so about a second slow than an i4s, but then again that's single core vs dual core, and I'm running 3 widgets on one screen.

Orientation is about polish, and iOS is definitely more polished than Android.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Hopefully ICS changes that.

Who knows. Hopefully the software has caught up to the hardware. ICS isn't supposed to be fragmented like 2.2+ is and hopefully it becomes a more seamless OS like iOS between devices without it being locked down like iOS. Looking forward to getting a Nexus and then receiving ICS on my xoom.:hail:

StupidGenius

Reaction score
Well depends which phone you're comparing. The original droid was indeed quite slow at switching orientation, but today's Android phone switch quickly. My Incredible takes about 2 seconds to switch orientation so about a second slow than an i4s, but then again that's single core vs dual core, and I'm running 3 widgets on one screen.

Isn't this a pretty major difference though between, iPhone and Android phones. With no widgets, iPhone only has rows of icons to switch.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score

I have a Droid III (like it says on my User info area) and, other than that, I'm pretty happy with it. Well, actually I remember that even when I'm switching between screens I can see a difference between how responsive the iPhones are to the touch as compared to the Android phones I've owned (the D1, 2 and 3).

Anyhow, I was just hoping there was a tweak or something to make the phone more responsive. Maybe there ain't one -- yet.

How do I turn off orientation switching? Thanks, Jim.
I've seen apps in the Market that should give you the power to do that. Maybe search for "orientation switch"; I'm pretty sure I did that and saw the apps I'm talking 'bout.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Isn't this a pretty major difference though between, iPhone and Android phones. With no widgets, iPhone only has rows of icons to switch.
Yeah, that probably justifies it -- yet it'd be awesome to see a match on orientation and screen touch responsiveness.

OP
Rocky

Rocky

Reaction score
Besides the orientation lag, there's also a touch lag that will hopefully be taken care of in the near future:

[video=youtube;J6oWDLk31EQ]http://youtu.be/J6oWDLk31EQ[/video]

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

This....My IPad2 doesn't switch all that more quickly than my Rezound (which has a bunch of widgets). It is noticeablely slower on the Rezound, but in fact I think this feature is sub-par on both OS's.

I turn off orientation switching, anyway (don't like how a lot of widgets look in landscape). I only use it for video and sometimes websurfing. That switch is pretty comparable between the two devices.

My preferred launcher is Sweeterhome which, sadly, appears to no longer be supported by the developer. But it had a cool little feature where you could create separate layouts for landscape and portrait. That's the route to go, IMO. Unfortunately Sweeterhome is a bit heavy and difficult/time consuming to set-up (mainly because it does almost anything, so problematic for people with OCD).