houston, we have a brick

deeter

Reaction score
ok, i will make this as detailed as possible and hope the community here can help. I rooted my droid 2 using the step by step guide. worked perfect. installed titanium and removed bloatware. worked perfect. (did full back up prior)

read that removing vvm and help center are not so good. tried to reload my backup to get them back. they didnt come back (i guess i either did it wrong or after i remove an app from the phone it doesnt come back, i know i am an idiot)

I had downloaded the bootstrap from koush. so i tried to go in and just do a master reset, and it wont work. so i tried to do the sbf recovery through rsd, and it fails when it gets to the recovery menu. now my phone boots, i can get calls, but the screen is black, i cant get in to any menus , and i basically have a brick sitting here. does anyone have any insight on how to get this to go? rsd lite starts the process, but it fails, and i cant seem to get anywhere. is there anyway to take it back to square one? or place the official 2.2 on the sd card as an update and load it? i am a newb and went to far...so any help would be greatly appreciated....

OP
D

deeter

Reaction score
i got the phone to master reset and its still the same result, but now rsd lite wont recognize the phone. any other suggestions?

OP
D

deeter

Reaction score
Thanks Corinacakes, your words of wisdom helped me through it all....you jerk...j/k ;-)

Ok so i was able to finally get rsd to detect the phone, and although the first sbf file said it failed, it went through all 100% and then i was able to flash the second part. It went through just fine and I am back to activating the phone and not screwing stuff up. but just for clarification, and i understand that removing anything can adversely effect the phone, but is it truely bad to remove vvm and help center?

stolaf

Reaction score
Thanks Corinacakes, your words of wisdom helped me through it all....you jerk...j/k ;-)

Ok so i was able to finally get rsd to detect the phone, and although the first sbf file said it failed, it went through all 100% and then i was able to flash the second part. It went through just fine and I am back to activating the phone and not screwing stuff up. but just for clarification, and i understand that removing anything can adversely effect the phone, but is it truely bad to remove vvm and help center?

how did you get rsd to detect your phone? because im experiencing similar problems

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score

lol sorry, Glad you got it all worked out! I deleted vvm with 0 issues but I've never heard of help center.

OP
D

deeter

Reaction score
No worries Corinacakes, After I read what you wrote I said "holy over-reacting Batman"...I was a wreck, so your comment put me in check...lol

I am going to root it again, I feel pretty confidant that I can bring the phone back if I have any issues...

Stolaf, since my phone was still able to boot up partially, I was able to toggle between PC mode and Mass storage, so my PC kept trying to detect it. I reinstalled the drivers and then after plugging it in and out a few times I finally got RSD to recognize the phone. It took me a long time of messing with it. Try removing the drivers and reinstalling them and having the phone in PC mode at all times. I wish you the best of luck. Let me know if you have any other questions, I will try to answer as fast as possible.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
No worries Corinacakes, After I read what you wrote I said "holy over-reacting Batman"...I was a wreck, so your comment put me in check...lol

I am going to root it again, I feel pretty confidant that I can bring the phone back if I have any issues...

Stolaf, since my phone was still able to boot up partially, I was able to toggle between PC mode and Mass storage, so my PC kept trying to detect it. I reinstalled the drivers and then after plugging it in and out a few times I finally got RSD to recognize the phone. It took me a long time of messing with it. Try removing the drivers and reinstalling them and having the phone in PC mode at all times. I wish you the best of luck. Let me know if you have any other questions, I will try to answer as fast as possible.

Did rooting round 2 go any better? And knowing you can get back to stock makes it less scary 100% of the time!

OP
D

deeter

Reaction score
Did rooting round 2 go any better? And knowing you can get back to stock makes it less scary 100% of the time!

yeah it went very well thanks for asking.... It nice to finally feel like I am less scared to root these things. Although I am kinda torn to be honest. When I had my D1 and it was overclocked to 1.1 and the thing worked like a champ. With the D2 i am just not a fan, it seems more laggy, and i hate the menu set up and a bunch of other little things. things were much easy to navigate through on the D1. I hate the universal inbox, accounts, and overall feel of the menu on the device. I got the D2 by default of not having a D1 FRU. At first i was happy, but I guess I am just a little more annoyed with it. Maybe that will change with some customer roms when they come around. ...