Hotspot

plongson

Reaction score
I just used Hotspot for the first time since mt OTA update. I got a warning that it is a demo and when it expires, I'll have to subscribe. What a PITA...looks like a data package is mandatory. Wonder how much $$$

emptypaperheart

Reaction score
I use my hotspot for xbox live are they going to limit how many gbs we I use now that I have to pay for hotspot? even if I have unlimited data ??

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
There's really no definite answer here. TECHNICALLY, you should now pay for hotspot use, as per your contract, the unlimited 3G/4G is specifically for your phone only. People have been saying Verizon is/has been tacking on hotspot plans on people they think are tethering. They also say that the upper percentile of data users (like, the top 5% of users) speeds are being throttled back. "They" say a lot, and I haven't seen anyone confirm anything yet.

I use my hotspot without a plan occasionally, if my home internet goes out. Since everyone started getting worked up over tethering recently, I've cut back on my usage, in case Verizon really does check / penalize people for using it without a plan. Of course, if they nab you, you could always say you just stream a lot of music, all day. I'm not sure if they can determine what kind of traffic is going in and out of your phone, but I imagine they could if they really wanted to. Probably isn't worth it in the end for them to investigate an individual user that thoroughly though.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Also though if you do decide to pay for the hotspots plan I believe there is an option to pay 30 dollars a month for unlimited tethering.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

emptypaperheart

Reaction score
okay so I paid for the hotspot feature 20 dollars for two gigabytes

I really hope it doesn't just end up in a couple days because I only use the hot spot for my xbox live in the guy said it would go pretty fast and I'm like ...**** lol

jseah

Reaction score
With the Thunderbolt and any other Verizon 4G phone, you can get unlimited mobile hotspot for $30 a month. Just have to call and ask for it. They won't offer it to you, you have to know to ask for it.

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
If u had an unlimited data plan contract, one signed before 7/9 I believe was the date then it hot spot has unlimited data usage along with ur phone.

If u are on a tiered data plan then ur hot spot is limited same as your phone

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
There's really no definite answer here. TECHNICALLY, you should now pay for hotspot use, as per your contract, the unlimited 3G/4G is specifically for your phone only. People have been saying Verizon is/has been tacking on hotspot plans on people they think are tethering. They also say that the upper percentile of data users (like, the top 5% of users) speeds are being throttled back. "They" say a lot, and I haven't seen anyone confirm anything yet.

I use my hotspot without a plan occasionally, if my home internet goes out. Since everyone started getting worked up over tethering recently, I've cut back on my usage, in case Verizon really does check / penalize people for using it without a plan. Of course, if they nab you, you could always say you just stream a lot of music, all day. I'm not sure if they can determine what kind of traffic is going in and out of your phone, but I imagine they could if they really wanted to. Probably isn't worth it in the end for them to investigate an individual user that thoroughly though.

That has been a theory ever since data first came around. I remember people talking about this on pinstacks back in my blackberry days.

I can tell you from experience ( it happened to me on my bb about 3 years ago) I was tethering to laptop without paying for the feature and and at the time I was a door man in college working a night shift watching about 2 movies a night using stolen tether and my data was disconnected one night for malicious activity.

When I called they told me that they so monitor users that are using insane amounts of data simply not possible to achieve by even the most extreme use and once I consistently has back to back months of huge data use they looked into it and saw I was accessing torrent servers via Verizon data servers. They threatened to drop me as a customer, told me I breached their terms of service, and told me if it happened again I could be charged for the data use.

Now that I'm older and in my last year of law school I realize they were right. We did all sign a contract that states we can't use their network in certain ways. Even of not tethering customers did all agree to not use Verizon's network even on phone in certain ways.

As for the conspiracy theory that Verizon slows connection to users they believe to be abusing the network I personally believe it but I can't find Blantyre proof of of anywhere. I am convinced BC if u download huge files for a week you will get super fast speeds all week long. If the following week u try downloading a 1gb torrent all of a suddenly ur DL speed will drop to like 100mg/s.

Plus whenever I have heavy data days I notice a slight sluggishness.

I'm also a sucker for conspiracy theories.

Divotman

Reaction score
OK, so the free hotspot is gone and since I signed my contract in April I can get unlimited data using HS for $30.
What about Internet Connection Mode? Is there a charge for that?

NoStopN

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7
Twitter
@NoStopN
OK, so the free hotspot is gone and since I signed my contract in April I can get unlimited data using HS for $30.
What about Internet Connection Mode? Is there a charge for that?

ICM acts like hotspot. You are sharing your phone's internet connection through a USB port instead of the Wi-Fi broadcasting of the phone. It is part of the extra money you pay for mobile hotspotting.

nateccnn

Reaction score
I use my hotspot for xbox live are they going to limit how many gbs we I use now that I have to pay for hotspot? even if I have unlimited data ??

I have Unlimited Data. When the update hit the airwaves I immediately forced it and once it was installed I checked the box to add the Mobile Hotspot and was required to call Vz to activate it. I called and it took about three minutes and it was activated. It states very clearly that it is unlimited (at the price I pay it better be unlimited -- 80 bucks for data and 30 bucks for hotspot plus all the other bastard charges they throw in it comes to about 145 bucks per month for the package).

I am seriously considering changing my plan though. I don't think I need unlimited. I have never gone over 4 Gb per month...ever. Why am I paying for unlimited when I don't use it? I may analyze this over the weekend and make a change to a tiered plan on Monday just to save a little money.

But if your using it for xbox then you may need it. It will be unlimited. According to what I agreed to anyhow.

Nate

ROUGH72

Reaction score

I have Unlimited Data. When the update hit the airwaves I immediately forced it and once it was installed I checked the box to add the Mobile Hotspot and was required to call Vz to activate it. I called and it took about three minutes and it was activated. It states very clearly that it is unlimited (at the price I pay it better be unlimited -- 80 bucks for data and 30 bucks for hotspot plus all the other bastard charges they throw in it comes to about 145 bucks per month for the package).

I am seriously considering changing my plan though. I don't think I need unlimited. I have never gone over 4 Gb per month...ever. Why am I paying for unlimited when I don't use it? I may analyze this over the weekend and make a change to a tiered plan on Monday just to save a little money.

But if your using it for xbox then you may need it. It will be unlimited. According to what I agreed to anyhow.

Nate
I am wondering what data plan costs $80. My data plan is $29.99 unlimited. My understanding is that mobile hotspot is $20 for 2GIGs and $20 a GIG over.:reddroid:

Markster1

Reaction score
Anyone know when Verizon turned off hotspot access on the Incredible 2? Verizon says i have to pay for it now......unbelievable!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Markster1

Reaction score
No. I've got a grandfathered plan from Alltel. Ever since i had this phone the hotspot feature was no extra charge.