Hotspot question

aarong03

Reaction score
I was wondering, since I changed over to a shared data plan from an unlimited data, can I still use my Razr Maxx HD as hotspot and not be charged for it? It's rooted and I did have it setup to have the free hotspot under my original unlimited data plan. I'm thinking I will be charge for data usage now, but wanted to check with the experts.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I believe under the new "screw everyone......I mean share everything plan" hotspot is free...

MAXXED OUT!!!!!

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
The Hotspot is free because they want you to go over each month. I'm unlimited, so I have to pay, but since I go just under 60GBs each month, it's well worth $25 per month.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
The Hotspot is free because they want you to go over each month. I'm unlimited, so I have to pay, but since I go just under 60GBs each month, it's well worth $25 per month.
You and others like you, are the reason the rest of us lost unlimited. I will giggle the day VZW cuts unlimited off for everyon. It will hurt you more than it hurt me

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
You and others like you, are the reason the rest of us lost unlimited. I will giggle the day VZW cuts unlimited off for everyon. It will hurt you more than it hurt me
You are not correct. The reason unlimited went away is because Verizon got sued for charging an additional $30 per month for the hotspot. Please check your facts before assuming.

Mobile hotspots for all: Verizon settles with FCC for $1.25M, must allow tethering apps | VentureBeat | Mobile | by Devindra Hardawar

I pay for the Verizon Monthly charge for the hostpot. I do not use FoxFi, or any other work around tethering app. I live in the country and have slow DSL for my home internet, so the Hotspot is my household Internet. I'm following Verizon's rules and paying Verizon for my usage.

Reaction score
I love having my unlimited data i use foxfi. I think Verizon makes more then enough money to let people have unlimited data and teather. They just moved into Canada people i know say Verizon is wicked expensive in Canada compared to the states. So they make more then enough i believe

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Droid Forums

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
You are not correct. The reason unlimited went away is because Verizon got sued for charging an additional $30 per month for the hotspot. Please check your facts before assuming.

I am aware of the lawsuit. You just have your cause and effect reversed. Once the extra charge for hotspots went away, unlimited had too. VZW is a mobile phone company. The original biz plan was unlimited MOBILE data. Not someones entire computer, laptop, TV (Netflix, etc) data plan. This is a very simple concept... economics 101. McDonalds charges more for a Big Mac than the smallest burger. Chevy charges more for their Suburban than their Cobalt. Band width is VZW commodity. They guy using 20 gigs should pay more than the guy using 2 gigs. I just wish VZW chose to punish their abusers than punish everyone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am aware of the lawsuit. You just have your cause and effect reversed. Once the extra charge for hotspots went away, unlimited had too. VZW is a mobile phone company. The original biz plan was unlimited MOBILE data. Not someones entire computer, laptop, TV (Netflix, etc) data plan. This is a very simple concept... economics 101. McDonalds charges more for a Big Mac than the smallest burger. Chevy charges more for their Suburban than their Cobalt. Band width is VZW commodity. They guy using 20 gigs should pay more than the guy using 2 gigs. I just wish VZW chose to punish their abusers than punish everyone.

Ummm , Unlimited. Unlimited means buffet. Use as much or as little for the same price. If you go to a buffet do you complain about the person that eats 20 plates full because it's not fair to the one that is full after 1 plate but paid the same amount at the door ?
The lawsuit was an excuse to do what they already wanted to do for profit enhancement. Verizon home internet (dsl unlimited) is doing everything in its power to cause users to switch to Verizon mobile for their internet because it's much more profitable for Verizon. Fios expansion was abandoned due to a lack of profitability.
Now if you are saying someone is paying for a defined finite amount and using extra without extra fees, I'll agree with you totally. That's cheating, stealing, whatever.
I recently switched from unlimited to the 6gb plan for the same price because unlimited will be phased out in time and I don't use anywhere near that amount. I'll bet it'll be like the old days where in order to buy a new phone at any price you had to switch from an older grandfathered GTE wireless, Alltel, etc plan to the new Americas Choice plan. Until then if someone uses a terabyte of data a month with unlimited plan that's between them and Verizon, both signed a contract and both are following its terms.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
s pen aholic in Beast Mode (Notetoo)