hotspot apps

Rocko

Reaction score
If I use the app that came with the Driod X I purchased, and I pay $30.00 a month for unlimited data usage, why should I have to pay another $20.00 to use the Hotspot app provided?

jdblake:angry:

Because you signed a contract saying you will otherwise face termination and fees?

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
It is a risk, but its his right to take it. Anytime anyone pirates an app or a song or movie, it is stealing, but im sure we have all done it. It's our risk to take. I don't tether. Only because i dont need to, not because I think it's wrong.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

OP
J

jdblake

Reaction score
How am I stealing? Motorola / Verizon provided the hotspot app on the phone when I purchased it. And I pay for UNLIMITED DATA from Verizion. If I have to pay an addition fee for data use, then it's not UNLIMITED DATA. Or am I not understanding the term UNLIMITED DATA USE?

jdblake :icon_eek:

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I agree. Verizon is wrong for doing that, but it is the contract we signed as ridiculous as it is. I would just drop it dude. This thread will get ugly. I don't care either way. If you want to tether, it's your choice!

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

ahaynes42

Reaction score
@jdblake I fully agree with you. If I'm paying $30/month for UNLIMITED data then I don't give a **** what the TOS says. I pay my ISP $60/month to access the internet. Does it matter how many laptops/desktops/blu ray players/ipods hook up to my wifi router? No, it sure doesn't. And I don't mind if they throttle me if I'm using an insane amount of bandwidth.

Also, I only use tethering when I absolutely must on the road. I'm not just browsing away or downloading torrents. I feel that as long as I respect the amount of traffic I'm using while tethering, it is fully within my rights (not terms of service, but MY moral right) to tether on an unlimited data plan that I properly pay $30/month for.

Update: Looks like there's a HUGE (256 posts) thread over at My Droid World on this very topic, and it looks like every single possible argument has been made. So we might as well stop here. Go read that whole thread if you want to know every single detail in the VZW terms of service that you unknowingly agreed to. (Shout out to the South Park that pokes fun at the long iTunes terms of service)
http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/...e-stealing-when-tethering-without-paying.html

Last edited:
OP
J

jdblake

Reaction score
The thing is I did not sign either by hand or otherwise any agreement when I purchased these phones. I did have service on 5 phone through Verizon, one of them was a crackberry that my older son had. We purchased 3 Droid X phones and upgraded to unlimited data service.

jdblake:)

lrrryo

Reaction score
Well I'm not gonna post the steps u need to root and all of that, all of which can easily be found here in the forums, but if you are not interested in rooting or messing with the phone, you could get the app "PDAnet" by June Fabrics. Although Verizon blocked it on the market you can still get the app other ways and the free version will work just fine (with exception of https) I have had a few friends and family who don't seriously need tethering and have used PDAnet without any problems.

June Fabrics PDA Technology Group

Burgundy,

Where, how can you get PDAnet from other sources? I just switched phones and am stuck. Worked fine on my Incredible for a years, but need it on the Moto X. Thanks.