Hot Time Last Night With Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by hookbill, Feb 5, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    OK, so it's another temperature thread. Overclocking my Droid at 125/800 I woke up this morning to find the temperature on my Droid at 118 degrees F. I mean it was almost too much to handle.

In addition it had been on the charger all night and was running at 50% on the charger. I did a reset and then the temperature started to come down.

I'm starting to wonder if I did the right thing by rooting my Droid. I did my first battery pull ever last night because it got locked up on me. I have to use the old browser because 2.1 doesn't type worth a crap. And now I got to worry about massive temperature increases on an idol phone?

Has anybody figured out yet how hot these things can safely get? Last I heard it was 140 and I find by touch that's got to be unbelievable.

I have it running now at a "cool" 84.2 degrees now.

2. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    you had it running at 800 mhz while charging? using profiles in setcpu? Sorry, trying to understand the issue...I put mine down to 550mhz/250mhz while charging to avoid the extra heat, usually mine gets to about 80-90 F while charging if I am NOT using it...goes up to 110 if in heavy use while charging

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    OK. I thought we just left it at 800 mhz because that was a safe range to leave the Droid. So you're advising that when charging I should drop it back to 250/550?

Point is I wasn't using it I was sleeping. I'll take that into consideration but it still doesn't answer the question I asked. How hot is safe?

4. bL33d

bL33d Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Min 125 for all profiles. And 800-125 while running aswell.

I run mine 125-1ghz normal operation and charging the 125-250 when asleep.

BTW u have an app running I see no reason for the CPU to be in use while charging....
    With mine set to 1ghz-125 while charging my temp is 28c in the morning.

#4 bL33d, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  5. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I've read that anything over 45 C could potentially harm the CPU. I'm not quick on conversions but that's about 115-120 -ish I think. Personally my Droid gets really hot while charging, maybe it is my area of the US (Florida) or maybe it is the variation in Droids and I got a hot running one. I made the personal choice to back it down to 550 while charging so as not to tempt fate so to speak. I only run it at 800 when unplugged and in-use, my sleep settings are 550/250, charging 550/250, less than 25% battery 550/250, and over 45 C 550/250

I found that if I put 250/125 for sleep, then it takes about 5 seconds for me to be able to answer the phone when it rings, due to the CPU having to "wake up" and the battery savings aren't big enough for me to justify missing a call. That's just my .02 of course and I am no expert by any means...this is simply what i have read, my understanding of it, and what works for me.

6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    OK....thanks for the response. I'm not getting what I'm looking for here exactly. Does anyone know what a safe temperature for the Droid battery is? I know what speeds to run it at, and I'll take into consideration reducing that speed when I'm charging (which I'm doing now and it's running at 82 degrees f) but that's what I really want to know.

7. mrnelson86

mrnelson86 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No one knows for sure, but like I said in my last post, the general consensus is that 45-50 C is the upper limit, which I think is 115-120 F and above you wouldn't want to go higher than that if you can help it...

8. DroidxRage

DroidxRage Member

Ratings:
    +0
    #8 DroidxRage, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Which put me right at the border line. Thanks, that's what I really wanted to know.

I want to give rooting a try, I like the speed it's giving me I just don't want a boatload of problems as a result of picking up the speed a bit.

10. DroidxRage

DroidxRage Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So from that information, while not "dangerous" per say, probably a little higher than I'd hope while charging.

Like others have said, set your profiles, and the newer updates have a profile for heat also, which overrides all other profiles.

11. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah use the profiles .... I used the last section about temperature at I think 40 degrees C and it drops it to 550 (stock).

12. Zodduska

Zodduska Member

Ratings:
    +0
    woops, sorry nevermind