1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Hot batteries

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by tmac7607, Sep 24, 2010.

1. tmac7607

tmac7607 New Member

People getting hot batteries you have a kernel problem. If you are using another kernel other Chevyno1 you will get a hot battery. Keep down sizing kernels till your phone stays cool at least 2 hours in a row. If you use the kernels Chevy has provided they are all fine. None of these kernels cause you to get a hot battery. I tested each one for a couple of days each to be able to tell. Other kernels that may work but cause hot battery is the P3 kernels. All of P3 kernels cause battery to get hot. P3 kernels on Chevyno1 rom are fast but can cause phone to get pretty warm as well as data connection gets a little shaky. If you like to tether your connection would get interupted every five minutes. I would recommend a Chevy kernel for a Chevy rom. Other roms are the complete opposite. All kernels seem to work on other roms if you can get it installed. :motdroidhoriz: Stuck in bootloop ya know what I mean. Also if a new kernel update comes out with a new rom you would probably want to get it. I know people are saying no thanks to it in rom manager just so they won't have to wait all day for that new rom to download. There are updates to the kernels. If you miss a update and have a newer rom then you might run into small problems that have you searching for a fix.update.zip somewhere to solve that problem. Just download the rom like you normally do then come back after rom is installed to grab the kernel. One quick download to the phone and you are right back on track with one cool battery.
  2. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

While I agree to some extent, I don't know that this is the case. I had Metickone's blackbar with a Chevy lv1ghz kernel and mine never got hot. Maybe 33-35°C.
    I moved to UD8 with the same kernel and it will hit 40°C after browsing for 20 minutes.

-Droid Does
  3. tmac7607

tmac7607 New Member

Put it to test of browsing the web for five to ten minutes then tell me what your results are. If you are a heavy web browser then you will notice and if you are a lite browser then it may take time.
  4. rollo69

rollo69 New Member

I was running the stock kernel with SS4.8 and noticed phone getting hot while charging yesterday and then today it got hot again but mine was with CPU temp and battery was just a few degrees cooler. I saw 125 deg. after reboot once. While running apps (handcent etc.) got up to 114 deg. Tried couple different new Chevy kernels both ulv and lv and different hz for each but still ran hot.

I went back to Chevy's previous kernel 1.0 ulv and it's stayed cooler. Haven't broke 100 deg yet. I didn't try the med kernels because I figured would run as hot or hotter.
  5. jerroedr

jerroedr New Member

the new 1.2 ulv is running warmer, but it may just be cuz its a fresh install. let it sit or gel for a little bit before i jump the gun.
  6. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

111-116 is not what I would consider "hot". Even the stock phone will reach that temp clocked at 550 mhz and running navigation etc.

Consistently 120 and higher from normal/moderate use..would be considered running hot.

I personally have been using the lv 1.0 ghz new chevy kernel and my phone is running cooler than it previously ran with other kernels and other roms. Last night I was playing word feud, listening to pandora, on the internet and downloaded an app all at the same time...my phone only saw about 111 tops. Hovered mostly around 102-107 with pandora going, on the charger, and playing wordfeud.

Im super pleased about that. There is NO lag at all either. :icon_ banana:
  7. rollo69

rollo69 New Member

@ yak thanks for the info. Running SS4.7 and chevy's 1ghz ulv I never ran that hot so seemed hotter to me. Sorry for noob post should have looked/read some more.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. Larry_ThaGr81

Larry_ThaGr81 New Member

I'm running chevy's lv 1.1 and and 40° celcius on the web is not uncommon if you overclock, I hit like 43° when on the web.
  9. tmac7607

tmac7607 New Member

I am running chevy medV 1.2Ghz with no overclocking no setcpu and I can browse for hours without getting hot. On top of that using juice defender with tweaked settings and getting 12-16 hours of heavy use with standard battery. Sounds like you are going with low voltage kernel to save battery but then use setcpu to try and crank it up. That sounds like the problem there. You want performance then get a bigger kernel and tweak you setcpu to turn down a bit to balance battery level. Example would be adding nitro to a Ford Pinto and trying to keep up with a Lamborghini your pinto would overheat. :greendroid:
  10. yakitori

yakitori Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

just to clarify, Im talking CPU temps...not battery. My battery temps rarely go over 100 F.

My CPU is the temp that can get up to 116 tops while using heavily. Overclocked to 800 mhz. Have battery temp, and cpu temp profiles in place.

Also...another thing to mention is if you are using your SetCPU widget to judge your temp...its not real time. To see what my temps are...I go into the info setting in set cpu and look.

The widget is just a 'quick tool' to see if its hot. I believe it displays highest temp reached though. Dont know how often it reports temps. Mine has said 118 during heavy use...when I went into the info screen it was only 107F. CPU temp was.

Most of the time my battery temp is mid 90s depending on ambient temps (I live in TX, so summer temps can get over 100f EZ, infact this year was 110 heat index)...imagine those who left their cell in the car that day...probably 140+ ambient temps. Which completely discharges your battery.
Search tags for this page

droid hot low battery

droid x battery getting hot