HOSTS file for Droid?

MuzzleBuster

Reaction score
I use a HOSTS file on my computer to block ads.

Is there a HOSTS file built into the Droid?
If so, can I edit it unrooted?

TIA

th9203

Reaction score
My bet is that you have to be root to get to the hosts file assuming that it exists. Every Unix, Linux or Windows system that I have had access to in the last 10 years or so has required Root/Admin access to change it. Since Android is a Linux based system, I suspect that you will need root.

Having said that, (offtopic) how do you block ads using the hosts file?

(subscribing)

forkup

Reaction score
Yes you need root to change the file. There is a thread on xda forums about adblock that has links to the hosts file you want.

Larkitect

Reaction score

(subscribing)
a HOSTS file is the first place you comuter looks to resolve a URL to an ip address. a carryover from when there was no such thing as a dedicated DNS server online you could query. so if you know the URL of the ads you can make the HOSTS file point them to 127.0.0.1 and… no more ads. even better is to find an already configured HOSTS file.

makes for great pranks too if you edit it to make google point to, well, anything. :D

Last edited:

Varking

Reaction score
As stated, you if Google "Droid AdBlock" or something similar you should be able to find it. Also, if you run Bugless Beast ROM by Pete, I believe he now has adblock built into it for you.

OP
M

MuzzleBuster

Reaction score

(subscribing)
a HOSTS file is the first place you comuter looks to resolve a URL to an ip address. a carryover from when there was no such thing as a dedicated DNS server online you could query. so if you know the URL of the ads you can make the HOSTS file point them to 127.0.0.1 and… no more ads. even better is to find an already configured HOSTS file.

makes for great pranks too if you edit it to make google point to, well, anything. :D

My HOSTS file has over 200k so far. I'm sure some of it has to be obsolete now.
Easiest way to get started is with HostsMan program and have it update to give you a pre-configured file..
Go to abelhadigital.com

There may be better programs but it's pretty easy.

OP
M

MuzzleBuster

Reaction score
As stated, you if Google "Droid AdBlock" or something similar you should be able to find it. Also, if you run Bugless Beast ROM by Pete, I believe he now has adblock built into it for you.

Thanks. I'm thinking about rooting. I like having a hosts file, probably because I always had one on my computer. I've never had spyware, malware, or a virus. Ever.
I believe one reason is because bad crap has usually been blocked by my hosts file that's always been updated with whatever I could find. Firewalls and "family friendly" web surfing habits help too.

The gallery and camera are failures. Force close is only half the problem. I use them a lot and it's getting real old for the camera to fail or take too long to open. Then the gallery either crashes and have to power down or it's 20 minutes before pics are visible. Once they are there, about half of my attempts will make it through MMS (I check file size, but others still do not receive).

I take pics every day and everything I've tried is the same result. Fail.
Missed getting a great video of my puppy running this evening because camera crashed.

Phone will either end up back at Motorola or it gets rooted.... or both. I've read others with the same problem(s).