Horrific WiFi speeds - Droid X bug

Discussion in 'Droid X Tech Support' started by Coldbricks, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Coldbricks

Coldbricks New Member

Ratings:
    +0

demonstrating my issue.

interestingly, today at the mall it worked flawlessly on the public wifi. wtf? Either way, SOMETHING is wrong. I just dont know what. it is beyond me. I have more important things to worry about than fixing my droids Wifi. Tho, It is extremely agitating. I hope it will be fixed. I am ALMOST tempted to buy a cheap router from WalMart and see what happens. For the record I am using a Netgear WNR2000, which supposedly has a LOT of problems with newer N devices, of which the Droid X falls into.

Good luck

2. deranger

deranger New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The issue lies with WPA2 AES encryption. I set my DIR-655 to WPA/TKIP and it works flawlessly on Auto B/G/N.

3. SaurusX

SaurusX New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One thing I immediately notice is that your 3G symbol stays on even when youre connected over wifi. My 3G turns off and disappears when connected to my home network. Hopefully that helps you out a bit. As a side note, im using WPA2 encryption on a netgear router on G.

#15 SaurusX, Aug 8, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  4. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +674
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Yeah I changed my network to the WPA/TKIP only and that seemed to work good, I am still using N as the speed and my 3G connection also drops when I am on WIFI.

5. Coldbricks

Coldbricks New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. thanks that is a very interesting observation. ill look into that . I am beginning to believe it is my router.

6. zamslam

zamslam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can't tell from your punctuation, but did you try "G only". That is what did the trick for me. I have a Netgear WNDR3700, and set it to "54Mb/s max" for it's 2.4GHz radio. Constant slowness/disconnects evaporated. Problems with N or multi-modes that include N seems to be a known issue that I hope they fix in 2.2

7. baniels

baniels Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I will try G only this evening. I am pretty sure I only tried G/N mode.

8. goracer

goracer Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. baniels

baniels Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to zamslam's suggestion, I tried something I hadn't thought of. I set my wireless AP to broadcast in G only. As soon as I did that, my X got 4 tests in a row with download speeds of 18-20 Mbps, and upload speed equivalent with what I was getting before.

So if this information tells us anything, it is that there is an issue with the X's performance when connected to a wireless-N network. With a G network it seems to be a touch better than the Droid 1. Now if I can figure out how to tell the X to connect to the G broadcast, so I can leave the N broadcast in place for my laptop and other N-capable equipment.

10. zamslam

zamslam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have a dual band wifi router, you can have it use N for the 5GHz band and G for the 2.4. Worked pretty well for me.

11. zamslam

zamslam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For many folks the 5 GHz band isn't "best", because it's more prone to interference. If I am right next to my router, 5 is faster, if I am on the far side of the house 2.4 says "good" signal strength, while the 5GHz band won't hold a connection.

12. zamslam

zamslam New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    (and have different SSIDs for each, though the X isn't capable of using the 5GHz).

Search tags for this page
does droid bionic support 5.4 ghz wifi

droid x 5ghz wifi

motorola droid x 5 ghz