Horrible video recording

Iria

Reaction score
I tried recording my toddler running around at a parents' night party in a gym tonight and the darned thing stuttered in a couple of places. Never saw that with my old Droid X. Anyone else have this issue with the Droid 3?

Quertyman

Reaction score
Problem is that the droid 3 camera sucks

sent from my beast DROID 3

davishusband

Reaction score
I tried recording my toddler running around at a parents' night party in a gym tonight and the darned thing stuttered in a couple of places. Never saw that with my old Droid X. Anyone else have this issue with the Droid 3?

If you are rooted use "VM Heap Tool" that should help with the studdering. It allows bigger apps to run faster because it allows more use of memory, check it https://market.android.com/details?id=com.martino2k6.vmheaptool&hl=en

Last edited:

ndoren

Reaction score
I agree with Davis. Short of that, if you know you're going to be recording a special occasion, try to boot your phone just prior. It's a band aid that helps memory clutter and reduces the video stutter. Of course, that doesn't help when you quickly grab the phone to record that unanticipated special kodak moment. Neall

Last edited:
OP
I

Iria

Reaction score

ndoren

Reaction score
Yes, I'm rooted, so I'll give it a shot. Makes me wonder if this would be an issue with other Android phones. Like I said, I never saw it with my old Droid X.

The Droid X isn't recording in 1080p. A lot less computational and memory requirements at 720.

OP
I

Iria

Reaction score
The Droid X isn't recording in 1080p. A lot less computational and memory requirements at 720.
Ah, that's right. But now, I'd guess that most of the newer Android phones will be 1080p ... and perhaps exhibit this problem sans root and this app.

ndoren

Reaction score
Ah, that's right. But now, I'd guess that most of the newer Android phones will be 1080p ... and perhaps exhibit this problem sans root and this app.

Yes, I've dealt with enough Android phones to guess that video stutter may be an issue with any Android phone recording in 1080p. I've also had enough experience to believe that changing the VM heapsize may not be a perfect solution, either. The VM heapsize debate goes all the way back to the first days of the Droid 1, and adjusting its value has shown inconsistent results, depending on the reason it's being adjusted. It probably can't cause any harm to adjust it around a little, but I wouldn't bet on it being a cure for the camera problems. I guess the problem is that the Droid is a phone first, and camera second, and sometimes I'm not sure it does either as well as it should :)

OP
I

Iria

Reaction score
Yes, I've dealt with enough Android phones to guess that video stutter may be an issue with any Android phone recording in 1080p. I've also had enough experience to believe that changing the VM heapsize may not be a perfect solution, either. The VM heapsize debate goes all the way back to the first days of the Droid 1, and adjusting its value has shown inconsistent results, depending on the reason it's being adjusted. It probably can't cause any harm to adjust it around a little, but I wouldn't bet on it being a cure for the camera problems. I guess the problem is that the Droid is a phone first, and camera second, and sometimes I'm not sure it does either as well as it should :)
Wow, and I just discovered that by default the camcorder is set to 720p. So that discounts the argument about 720 v. 1080. It was also set to internal storage, if that makes any diff.

Erikbal

Reaction score
The other day on an offroading trip with my brother I took 6 videos, the longest being a little over 5mins long and didn't get a single stutter.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

zentech

Reaction score
I noticed on my Droid X2 that when I freshly boot the phone my video recording is a lot better than when I just pick it up after it's been on a few days and try to record. Change it to record to internal memory also helps but recording in general is just crappy in 2.3.x. I think it's even worse than in 2.2/2.1. I had an original Droid that shot pretty decent video (albeit not in 720p) but it didn't stutter at all now this DX2 with all it's power can't get off a video without stuttering, stopping or varying video speeds.

I've noticed my wife's Droid X1 seems to be doing the same thing as well, not as often, but still present.

Google, what gives? The camera apps should by default grab as much memory as possible when it launches, screw all the other apps.

Rotkaeqpchen

Reaction score
I just wanted to post the thread that gkitab posted too. In 5.6.890 low-light-recording has 12fps, you can set it back to 25fps. Also be sure to use the better working Atrix BlurCamera! Better BlurCamera from Atrix - xda-developers

This works far better, shutter speed is much improved and the black flickering in videos is gone too.