HORRIBLE HD video quality- anyone else??

droidxnewguy

Reaction score
I just tried to shoot some HD video, during a video recording session while the other cameras were rolling, and unless I did something wrong, the video quality is absolutely horrible. Yes it's HD dimensions, but there is no clarity whatsoever, so many artifacts, worse than VHS quality in my opinion. I attached a screen cap of part of the video picture. What's wrong here?

Attachments

• HD-capture.png
    HD-capture.png
    227.3 KB · Views: 536

wsbsteven

Reaction score
While I can't speak for the video quality since it isn't posted, that pic screams low lighting and it's using a high iso to compensate for it (which makes it grainy).

Rugerdog

Reaction score
Im not sure yet but I think that when I move the video to my Mac, then to Youtube I get better results that if I upload it directly from my Droid X to Youtube.

Play with the settings, there might be more than you may have noticed.

abean

Reaction score
I've recorded a few movies in low light and they look the same, very grainy. I actually have not yet recorded in normal lighting to see if there is a difference.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Your trying to shoot good HD though a pinhole? ;) Buy a real camcorder if you want semi-pro results. This thing is a "toy" when it comes to video and pictures.

It does O.K. in full sunlight but I would NEVER consider the X video "good"

Guyute

Reaction score
For a phone I got some good video in good lighting conditions. Will it replace my HD Cannon camcorder no.

Super Turtleman

Reaction score
I agree, HD on my Droid X is nice in full sunlight, indoors, not so much. Then again, indoors, my Sony HD Camcorder isn't the best either. If you want High Quality, you gotta pay for it.

Let's all remember, it is a phone (and more) after all. dancedroid

DAVID2010

Reaction score
Droid X video

It is true that the video is not the best. Yes, it is a smartphone but some do have better camera's and video recorders than others. As for the Droid X I found that outdoors during the day I recorded great videos. If indoors I needed good lighting. If not enough lighting the video was horrible as you know. The iPhone 4 takes better pictures and videos I noticed.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The iPhone 4 takes better pictures and videos I noticed.

I KNOW MY WIFE REMINDS ME ALL THE TIME!!!! Is it my fault AT&T does not get service here?

DAVID2010

Reaction score
Droid X

The iPhone 4 takes better pictures and videos I noticed.

I KNOW MY WIFE REMINDS ME ALL THE TIME!!!! Is it my fault AT&T does not get service here?

HAHA. I know it sucks to not have good coverage in your area. I had to give up my Droid X because I could not take the bad coverage in my area. I know that it just depends where we live. No company covers everywhere. Since the states I lived in (Virginia, Michigan, IL and now Southern CA) always had good coverage with AT&T I went back. I always heard that Verizon was superior and started believing it but as I said earlier it just depends where you are. In the end I went with the phone that worked in my area and that meant returning the Droid X for the iPhone 4.
But even though the video is not as good. I can tell you I really miss having the option to use the Droid X as a mobile "HOTSPOT". I also found a Verizon store that was amazing. Can't stress how great customer service was.
Pro's and Con's-ever phone has it.

franwhite

Reaction score
I just tried to shoot some HD video, during a video recording session while the other cameras were rolling, and unless I did something wrong, the video quality is absolutely horrible. Yes it's HD dimensions, but there is no clarity whatsoever, so many artifacts, worse than VHS quality in my opinion. I attached a screen cap of part of the video picture. What's wrong here?
I'm definitely disappointed in the HD Video capabilities of my DROID X. That is NOT HD... someone said barely VHS and I believe I'm going to have to agree. I'm going to keep working it and change my ISO, right now I'm trying it on 100 instead of auto to see if it makes a difference.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I did a short video comparison it is CERTAINLY HD but lighting is VERY key.

Since my last head to head, some folks wanted to see shots on a tripod. In good and mixed lighting, etc... I taped and velcro'ed my Droid X to my camcorder then mounted it to the fluid head tripod. It was actually, surprisingly, secure.

I have been known to "dog" out the Droid X video capabilities but for A PHONE, I think it did excellent head to head. It does studder on pans and has washed out colors but all and all compared to a $1500 device. Nice! :)

Since the Droid runs at about 10 mbits and the HMC-40 runs at almost 80 mbits I crushed the compression down to 3500 to make it a more fair fight. Then uploaded that to YouTube.

Be sure to pop it up to 720p

[video=youtube;XUuEDDYoU9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUuEDDYoU9g[/video]