Horrible Experience with Rooted Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by flemdroid, Oct 14, 2010.

1. flemdroid

flemdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey All

So after gettign a droid several months ago i decide to root it in late August. I successfully rooted with easyroot and installed Kangerade. Ive been from Kangerade to Cyanogen with a few custom low voltage kernals, i unrooted and rerooted using RSD lite and installed liquid frozen yogurt and about a week ago i unrooted and back to stock.

So why did i do this? BATTERY LIFE

I love the capabilities of root and when i owned an iphone i was all about the jailbreak. i had to say goodbye to root and i dont understand why because battery life should not suffer with custom roms. or should they? i mean i was charging 3 times in a 24 hour period... if be on my phone and id see it drop in 10 percent increments every 10 minutes... i wasnt overclocking i set setcpu to 600 and et max to 125 when screen is off. i used minfreemanager and even switched to a taskkiller but showed no improvement to rooted batt life.. now, unrooted im lasting a full 18-24 hours with no charging.

Did i miss something guys? why cant i enjoy the privileges if root and have to deal with a consistently depleting battery?

shouldnt root give you the potential to improve battery life and not just immediately shoot it? i need root back with efficient batt usage

2. donerico

donerico Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They say every droid is different. I am rooted, running UD 1.o with an 1.1 GHz LV Chevy kernel. I took my phone off the charger 13 hs ago and I am still at 60% battery after low to moderate use all day. My phone/battery is one year old by the way.

3. UltraDroid

UltraDroid Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +555
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 3, straight stock
    Same with me. Battery life has never been an issue on my Droid 1. It *was* on my Dinc., until I sprang for one of those Siedio 3500 Extended Batteries, Best investment I've made on these phones. The battery life is *amazing*, and I like the different feel (in my hand) of the larger battery case. Makes it easier to hold on to.

-Mike

#3 UltraDroid, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  4. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    maybe your kernel is constantly at its highest setting. I have UD 1.0.0 and i get a full 14-15 hours with 20% left over with moderate use.

(Have FB, Twitter, Engadget, Genie widget running, browse for about 1.5 hours, 50-75 texts, 20 minutes on the phone, some angry birds and NOVA action)

I have my screen off setting set to min/max 125, normal is 25min/1000max. My other profiles are:
    battery < 40% max 900,
    battery < 30% max 800,
    battery < 20% max 700,
    battery < 10% 600 max.
    (All my min settings are 125mhz)

5. flemdroid

flemdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i forgot to mention... i did the rooting process i mentioned to a close friends droid... did exactly the same things i did to my droid and it yielded the same results with battery life.... i dont understand how every droid is different? hardware wise theyre exactly the same.... how can no one understand why this horrible battery life is happening with root?

Has anyone experienced this horrid battery life?

so imma root again.... try one more time... what do u guys recommend?

6. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Look in my post right before yours. Make sure you have setcpu and that you set a profile for when your screen is off you set it to minimum, and you'd normal setting (setting on main screen) is set to lowest on min, and whatever on max. And in terms of technology, the hardware is ever so slightly different, even at the micro level.

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    root != ROM

Root has nothing to do with battery life. Root gives you the ability to modify system files to do whatever you want to. If "whatever you want to" includes installing a new ROM and/or kernel, that could have the potential to improve (or hurt) battery life. You can get a "rooted stock" rom. That's basically a rom that is identical to a stock system with just a few minor changes to allow you to run root apps, and not override the recovery console. Install that, wipe your data, and run that for awhile. See what your battery life is like.

9 times out of 10 (fabricated statistic), battery life problems are the result of an application, not a rom. It's certainly possible/likely for a rom or kernel to cause your droid to suck down battery, but it's also possible that some app you installed since you rooted is doing it, and you didn't even realize it. Maybe it's some widget you added and forgot about? Maybe it's a chat/video app that stays running all the time whether you opened it or not. The fact that you probably had to wipe your data partition when you unrooted does a better job of explaining why you are seeing better battery life than just the rom change does.

Multi-tasking on the droid is a blessing and a curse. With great power comes great responsibility :p

8. Sniper_5

Sniper_5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Fyi the phone still uses the processor on screen off. Your setCPU profiles could be to blame. I had similar issues until I turned up my screen off speed( the processor will be forced to run longer to do the same thing when set too low) and did a slight revamp of all my profiles. I get 8+ hours on average under heavy use. 5-6 hours under constant use. Here is what my profiles look like.

Sent from my D1 on SS4.8 @ 1Ghz

9. flemdroid

flemdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks to all you guys for your advice.... theres nothing differnt from what i had installed/running before/during/after root... sportstap widget, music widget, facebookwidget, beautiful widgets, more icons, and gtasks....

i guess imma try out ultimate droid in a few days... and some LV kernal as well.... start barebones and gradually add in my typical widgets...

i hope i can get my batt back

does UD 1.0 come with its own kernal??? if not whats a good low volt kernal for it?

10. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, comes with a slayher. LV 1000ghz kernel with minimum of 125mhz. I love this rom setup, 60% battery now, been right at 12 hours now

11. doublea500

doublea500 Active Member

Ratings:
    +13
    i have had the same problem that you have had. the task killer your using isnt helping your droid at all though you should stop using it.

12. teddyearp

teddyearp Senior Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Current Phone Model:
    Motorola XT1103 (Nexus 6)
    ^^^ totally agreed. I don't use any task killers or app managers and with the setup I have below I can get as much as 40 hours. Of course, that's light use, medium I still get 20-24, heavy probably at least 12-18. Oh and although I have setCPU installed, it's only function is to set my cpu to 800mHz, otherwise I don't even have any profiles set.

good luck