Horrible CPU Usage for Smart Actions Drains Battery

ydol

Reaction score
My Droid Razr has started running fully charged battery down within 3 hours! At about the same time (within the last week or so), Smart Actions started popping up in my "Watchdog" app (watches for high CPU% apps and alarms when high). The app has a CPU usage monitor, and Smart Actions is CONSTANTLY using 30+% of the CPU. No other app breaks single digits.

I have shut off all Smart Action profiles, but cannot get the app to stop using CPU and draining the battery. This is a Motorola program that cannot be removed.

Please help with this Motorola Smart Action Developer Team!

Thanks.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I had the same happen to me one day at work. I watched the battery cascade down like an elevator with a cut cable. I had to put it on the charger and smart action was very high on the list. Plus the phone was hotter than Hell. I got home and reset and it's never repeated.

Good luck and report what you find.

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Nope soft reset, volume down + power. Still not sure what the cause was.

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi ydol,
Still having High CPU issues? Try a soft reset, Smart Actions shouldn't be eating up that much CPU. I will watch this thread for your response and let the team know.

Reaction score
Just registered to tell you guys I'm having the same issue. I don't want to root to get rid of this issue, been happening off and on since this morning (at least).

Panik

Reaction score
I too just registered because of the same issue. I just got this phone this past Saturday. This morning it offered "New Smart Action" recommendations or something. I thought it sounded like a good idea, so went with couple (turn off ringer at night, change settings when low on battery). The phone was at 100% when I did this, within 3 1/2 hours or less, the phone was down to 5%. I wasn't even using the phone. Checked what was draining the battery, and it listed Smart Actions. What in the world? I put the phone on the charger, and the battery was draining faster than the charger could keep up. I tried the soft start, and it did not seem to help. The battery drained until the phone shut off completely and then it started charging.

Something is very wrong!

Reaction score
When it boots back up turn off all your smart actions and report back

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi Panik,
Smart Actions shouldn't be eating up all that battery life, but we still want to check. What build are you using? goto smart actions home > menu > about. So, it was he sleep and low battery rules you were running at the time? I have captured your comments and will bring back to the team for testing. I appreciate the comment regarding Smart Actions offering you a suggestion, this is good detail and a place to start testing from.

Everyone else,
I can't do a full diagnostics on this forum, so if anyone wants us to investigate your case go to my forum on the Motorola site. https://forums.motorola.com/hives/fd31b6b114/summary

craigs99

Reaction score
I fixed my problem

I have had my Droid Razr for 2 days and noticed the same thing - high battery usage (a USB charger could not keep up) and high CPU use by Smart Actions (30-40%). I disabled the couple rules I had configured and powered off the phone, but that did not help.

Based on a suggestion on another forum, I went to Setting/Applications and cleared the data from Smart Actions. I noticed an immediate reduction in CPU usage.

I opened Smart Actions. My rules were still there (disabled). I enabled the rules and the CPU still seems to be running at a reasonable level.

The only odd thing that happened is that when configuring locations for the rules, I got a system message that Social Location crashed.

I will continue to monitor it.

Panik

Reaction score
Hi Panik,
Smart Actions shouldn't be eating up all that battery life, but we still want to check. What build are you using? goto smart actions home > menu > about. So, it was he sleep and low battery rules you were running at the time? I have captured your comments and will bring back to the team for testing. I appreciate the comment regarding Smart Actions offering you a suggestion, this is good detail and a place to start testing from.

Everyone else,
I can't do a full diagnostics on this forum, so if anyone wants us to investigate your case go to my forum on the Motorola site. https://forums.motorola.com/hives/fd31b6b114/summary

Running Smart Actions Version 2.1.2.0

I don't remember exactly what smart actions I used from the recommendations. I used two. One was related to when power is below 25%, and the other was related to changing ring tone at night.

After the phone rebooted, I disabled both smart actions and shut everything I could down related to smart actions (such as "Suggestion notifications"). Battery life appears to be back to normal. I am not using any smart actions. I think they are a good idea, but have not tried again.

jpwptc

Reaction score
I had the same problems. Smart Actions was pegging my CPU at over 80%! My Razr Maxx was running at over 100 degrees and dying after 6 hours. I hit 'Clear cache' on Smart Actions and that didn't help. I then tried 'Clear data' and everything cooled down. Today I've been on battery for 12 hours and I'm still at 40%. I'm running Smart Actions 2.1.2.0.

I'll try turning on some of my rules back on tomorrow (they are still there, so I guess 'Clear data' doesn't really clear the data!) and see what happens...

Last edited:

potto007

Reaction score
I had the same problems. Smart Actions was pegging my CPU at over 80%! My Razr Maxx was running at over 100 degrees and dying after 6 hours. I hit 'Clear cache' on Smart Actions and that didn't help. I then tried 'Clear data' and everything cooled down. Today I've been on battery for 12 hours and I'm still at 40%. I'm running Smart Actions 2.1.2.0.

I'll try turning on some of my rules back on tomorrow (they are still there, so I guess 'Clear data' doesn't really clear the data!) and see what happens...

Mine does the same thing. Smart Actions doesn't do it all the time, but every once in a while (like every 2 weeks or so) it bites me. The first time I had a problem with Smart Actions, it was in a night time profile while I was sleeping, and plugged into the charger. When I woke up in the morning, the phone was hot to the touch and had less than 10% battery life (PLUGGED IN!). At that point, I stopped using Smart Actions, realizing it was poorly written and harmful to my phone battery's health. I have been using Tasker (MUCH better, IMHO) for 1.5 months, and still get Smart Actions using > 50% of battery life every once in a while, as mentioned above. I have just been rebooting my phone when that happens, as killing the app with the Droid Razr Task Manager doesn't seem to be effective.

I am running 2.1.2.0. A friend just suggested uninstalling the update to revert SA back to 2.0.70. That seems like a valid suggestion, as I do not recall SA exhibiting any of this behavior prior to the update. I will keep you posted. I look forward to the long-awaited ICS upgrade, so I can prevent the app from ever running.

Cheers,
Paul

Smart_Actions

Motorola Expert
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
It appears there is a issue with cell tower ID's causing Smart Actions to behave poorly. So... you guys were right, I really appreciate all your feedback to help find this odd bug. We have a fix and will update in an upcoming release. I don't have a specific date, but we are working hard to get it wrapped up as quickly as possible.