Horrible blue tooth connection

billyk

Reaction score
Been using my S9's for a while now. No skipping issues at all. I do however hear background noise (like white noise) in quiet passages at the beginning and end of songs. It's exactly the same on 3 different pairs of S9's, so I know it's not just my S9's. My mono BT headset for calls has no noise whatsoever. I just live with the noise on the S9's and hope that whatever is causing it will be addressed in 2.1. We'll see...

One thing I can say is that the BT signal on the Droid is unbelievable! I can wear the Droid on my belt on my front hip and the S9's pick up the signal loud/clear when I am outside walking. I've been using S9's since they were introduced and with a couple of different phones (BlackBerry, LG Voyager) and nothing even comes close to the Droid for BT signal strength. It's amazing!

Last edited:

Trip

Reaction score
billyk have you tried turning down the media volume on the droid? At max volume you can get white noise and even some distortions on BT headsets, try turning the volume down a few clicks and see if that does anything.

As to the skipping, I have only experienced that when I inadvertently had the droid connected to both my car for phone and a headset for media at the same time, the BT processor couldnt keep up with both. Not saying that thats your problem, its just the only time I have experienced that.

** Edited for spelling lol

billyk

Reaction score
Thanks Trip - but doing so makes the background noise worse. It's minimized by having the media volume up about 80% and the S9 gain lowered. An excellent test is to simply pause a song that's playing at a good volume. White noise will immediately surface and will turn off in about 3 seconds after the pause. I don't really hear the noise during the actual song playback though. Weird. As I said before, 3 sets of S9's (one old S9 and two new S9HD versions) all have the same issue. Interestingly, it's the same on my friends N1 (we listened for it there too), so maybe the new 2.1 OS will be of no help.

JoeeDB

Reaction score
Yeah i've noticed this too. I just recently got a pair of S9-HDs and that noise is pretty annoying at times. I wonder if there is anything to do to fix it?

billyk

Reaction score
JoeeDB:
Am I wrong, or does the noise floor seem to disappear during music playback? If I heard that white noise during playback it would be a deal-breaker for me. The S9's never had this issue with my old LG Voyager or Blackberry. But the Droid and N1 both have it, in my experience.

OP
Q

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
My problem is it skips, i have to have the droid out in my hand in front of me, cant put it in a pocket, in a belt clip, nothing, and even out i have problems. I don't know if it is the rom I am using. Smoked glass v6.0, or the headsets. I am not connecting this to my car, I'm trying to do this while I go for walks in the evening, and in montana it still drops to around 35 at night, so its a bit to cold to have my hands out holding my droid to keep it from skipping. any other suggestions guys?

p.s. I have tried telling the phone to even just use it for media audio, and it skips... rather irritating.

Lars1

Reaction score
My problem is it skips, i have to have the droid out in my hand in front of me, cant put it in a pocket, in a belt clip, nothing, and even out i have problems. I don't know if it is the rom I am using. Smoked glass v6.0, or the headsets. I am not connecting this to my car, I'm trying to do this while I go for walks in the evening, and in montana it still drops to around 35 at night, so its a bit to cold to have my hands out holding my droid to keep it from skipping. any other suggestions guys?

p.s. I have tried telling the phone to even just use it for media audio, and it skips... rather irritating.

Hey there, I did a lot of research into Bluetooth stereo headphones this week and I found that the s9's from Motorola are finicky with reception because their antenna is located in the back of the headset.

If you are outdoors, try putting your phone in your back pocket, that should help.

Hope that helps.

BTW, I bought the Altec Lansing Backbeat 903's yesterday and they ROCK!!

Laters,

OP
Q

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
ok, i'll try this later tonight.

Edit: come to think of it on my voyager with first gen s9s i could have them in my front inside pocked of my motorcycle jacket and it would get decent reception at 90 mph

theguy386

Reaction score
I've noticed that whenever I have my s9 headphones idle for too long and I try to play music it'll start skipping. Try streaming your music almost immediately once your phone and headphones connect

OP
Q

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
update : i have fantastic call quality over the headset, but still music and other media quality sucks... even if i put it in my back pocket... maybe I got a bad headset? should I contact motorola?