Horrible battery on the Droid 4?

AKDroid

Reaction score
So I've had my phone for about a week now, and I've noticed that the battery is just plain horrible.

-Screen very low using about 30% of my battery,
-No Wifi
-Turned off 4g.
-Underclocked to 300-800 Mhz on powersave mode (I use CPUtuner).
-Froze many of the Bloatware the phone came with

Yet, I can barley get through a day of school (6 hours), having about 30-40% battery at the end. Hardly even used my phone throughout the day, maybe to play a few games of Angry Birds for about maybe 5 minutes and using the internet every now and then for about a minute each time. I can't imagine how strained my phone will be on a weekend out with no charger around me.. Is this sad battery life normal for the Droid 4 line? Or am I doing something wrong?

PS: I am automatically receiving emails however. Idk if that makes a giant impact, but any idea on how to turn it off just in case?

Dave Lister

Reaction score
How good is reception inside your school? If the signal strength is low, the battery will die faster. Also, the easiest way to disable automatic syncing of email and anything else, put the power control widget on your home screen. From there you can toggle wifi, bluetooth, syncing, gps, and brightness.

r314bd

Reaction score
What apps are using the most battery according to your battery usage screen?

zertsman

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with 2 of them.. we switch to 4g when we need alot of data.. otherwise it dies very quickly.. got on with tech support last night.. when 4glte is on, there are 3 radios on.. voice, 3g and 4g. need a way to turn the 3g radio off when 4g is in use... i guess 3g and 4g are on so the phone can switch back and forth.. in my opinion, 4g is usless on this phone!!! can't get through an 8hour work day.

also, we have 4g with 10Mbit download (speedtest) but we are not in the 4g area of the coverage map. don't konw if that has anything to do with it or not.

Dave Lister

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem with 2 of them.. we switch to 4g when we need alot of data.. otherwise it dies very quickly.. got on with tech support last night.. when 4glte is on, there are 3 radios on.. voice, 3g and 4g. need a way to turn the 3g radio off when 4g is in use... i guess 3g and 4g are on so the phone can switch back and forth.. in my opinion, 4g is usless on this phone!!! can't get through an 8hour work day.

There are only 2 radios in the phone that deal with the VZW network: the voice/3G radio and the LTE radio. The reason data will not work while on a phone call in a 3G area is because they are handled by the same radio. That is also why the 3G radio stays on when you have 4G signal because it still has to handle the voice signal.

zertsman

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

Kas84

Reaction score
I rooted my D4 and installed SetCPU, which dramatically improved battery life....at first. Now my phone won't hold a charge and I don't know why. Any ideas of what I can do?

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Benton

Reaction score
One of thebiggest culprits I find with battery life is the automatic email setting. Ikeep the email on manual retrieval and the battery life improves almost 50%over retrieving once every 30 minutes, I figure there is no purpose inreceiving emails when I am not looking at the phone so manual retrieval worksfine.

podspi

Reaction score
Has anyone who is having battery issues tried a factory reset? According to battery monitor widget, my battery lasts (on average, from full to empty) about 20 hours. Not great, but long enough for a working day...

I don't have Twitter syncing in the background (which anecdotally I've heard kills battery life) but I do have 3 gmail accounts, 1 exchange account, Facebook, Ebay, and G+ syncing just fine.

Honestly if resetting doesn't work, I'd install an app like Battery monitor Widget, set the options like charger output for accuracy, run a few large charge cycles (low % to 100% uninterrupted), and see what the estimated mAh of your internal battery is. Mine is 1764mAh, which is actually above the rated capacity of 1740mAh. If it is low, get it replaced under warranty.

zertsman

Reaction score
So you have a droid4 running in 4glte?

Sounds like you are running the first razr... :)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

dsw1519

Reaction score
The best things I have done for improving battery life is to make sure you use a battery app (i use Battery XL) and take the time to set up smart actions. I also switch my phone to use 3g for mormal use and only use 4g when I'm downloading a big file, app or music.

Here is a link to a smart actions thread that gives some very good suggestions.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr/195613-question-smart-actions.html

Nasa

Reaction score
Just got mine. Found WiFi to be the biggest user. Turned it off.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2