1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

HORRIBLE BATTERY LIFE & ANDROID OS using 2X what Display is

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by JEFFSGTP, Aug 9, 2011.

1. JEFFSGTP

JEFFSGTP New Member

I am running the latest 5.4 and have even switched to 1.0ghz ULV to try and stop my rediculous battery drain.

Anyone have any ideas why my battery would be getting hosed by Android OS more than 2x as fast as the display is killing it.

Oh and for the record, the battery is less than a month old...I replaced the old one thinking the problem was the battery was just getting old (almost 2yrs) but my new battery is barely doing any better, thats when I noticed the above.

So ANY IDEAS?
  2. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

Have you tried a wipe and reinstall?
  3. Ma_USMC

Ma_USMC New Member

Jeff, many others have had the same. Temporary fix (until 2.3.5 comes out with the hope of a remedy) is to use the deprimed kernel.

You install the same as a typical kernel but then you enter terminal and type "Su" -> "primed" and then reboot.

That kernel runs much cooler and keeps you going longer; there is still issues with high Android OS and battery still could randomly drain quickly but I'm not sure anyone knows why.

Let's see if 2.3.5 is any better...
  4. Sixonefour

Sixonefour New Member

Try flashing a med voltage kernel. This worked very well for me. It's still not great battery life but its much better. This subject has been beat to death here in the forums. Search around and read the other threads to see what may work for you. Hopefully 5.5 will end this nightmare. Also wipe your battery stats after you install the new kernel to get a better idea of what's draining your battery.
  5. JEFFSGTP

JEFFSGTP New Member

can you point me towards one of those kernels?
  6. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

The primed kernel is even lower voltage then chevy's ulv, use either deprimed stock or try chevys med voltage 1.0ghz, id say try the med voltage as chevy's kernels have always run the best for me

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  7. JEFFSGTP

JEFFSGTP New Member

OK now I am confused, I admit I know nothing as far as what primed and deprimed means, but if you say to try the Med volt kernel, I will give it a go...isn't that what is normally installed when you install chevyno1's latest build though?...if so that is what I came from to the ULV. also does anyone think a full wipe and re-install would actually help? (still will try the med volt kernel first though.
  8. pdc419

pdc419 Member

For some reason when your voltage is too low the OS will drain more then the display will. So the medium or SV will probably fix your problem. That's from what I've read anyway

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums
  9. 666ogre666

666ogre666 Member

That's correct, up in voltage or down in clock speed. The deprimed kernel has a terminal command to change its voltage but it would only make it worse as it is very low compared to most kernels

10. JEFFSGTP

JEFFSGTP New Member

^^^thanks, for the short explanation. I flashed the medium voltage to it and its charging now. will wipe the battery cache once its charged...crosses fingers!!!

If it doesn't do it I will try the standard voltage one.
  11. Ma_USMC

Ma_USMC New Member

I compared my typical usage between the deprimed and primed and found that both had high Android OS usage in relative comparison to everything else. The Primed ran cooler and used less battery whereas deprimed, although improved against Chevy's MV kernels, came of 2-4 hours shorter each day over the course of a week
  12. Ma_USMC

Ma_USMC New Member

13. JEFFSGTP

JEFFSGTP New Member

Thank You!
  14. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 New Member

I should tell you that if you run a kernel and your phone can't handle how low the voltage is then it will have issues with sleeping and the system will constantly be running.

If you see your android system is using more battery than normal, bump up your kernel voltage

Sent from my R800x using Tapatalk
  15. Ma_USMC

Ma_USMC New Member

I have been listening to pretty much everyone tossing this around; perhaps this holds true for most but I have used every kernel from Chevy to P3 and the Deprimed kernel (in Primed mode) is the only kernel with a great balance of cool operation and battery.

My typical usage with Chevy MV's netted me much higher temperatures (~120-127F) with 15min of surfing and anywhere between 11-14hrs of battery (to the 5% warnig track).

Deprimed's Kernel runs to 98F with 15min of surfing and can clear 16hrs of battery.

Albeit Chevy's MV kernels bring my Android OS down to a typical(?) 7%, the heat and battery usage just don't justify using it. I joined in on the thread about the drastic change and suggestions were to use Deprimed: I did with great success save for the still present 20%-40% Android OS (after a days use).

I don't know what happened but I suspect a change in the CM7 based on the responses from some users running nightlies. Hence, my eagerness for 5.5.
  16. JEFFSGTP

JEFFSGTP New Member

well, I now Chevyno1 said in another post that 5.5 was already being tested by him, so hopefully the wait isn't too long.

For now the Medium voltage kernel got my battery life back to a useable level...might play with other ones this weekend...to busy ATM though.
  17. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay New Member

Two things. You say you have a new battery, did you but one of those cheap batteries off Amazon/eBay? I bought one and it was terrible, worked great for a day or two and than it just would not hold a charge long. I went back to the original which is over 1.5 years old and it is fine.

2nd thing. I found the lv kernal to work best. I had similar issues that you are having with ulv and Med voltage made my phone run to hot. I haven't tried the deprimed kernals, but I hear good things.

I suggest you go back to your old battery and find a proper kernal first. Than you can try the new battery and see if its better or worse.

18. t3knokon

t3knokon New Member

FWIW... Im using a battery thats almost 2 yrs old on SS5.4 with Chevy's 1.0 GHz Lv. I also have the Governor set as Interactive, 250MHz min, and 800MHz max. I have to say, I see great battery life compared to other iterations of SS even with the fancy animations turned on. Quick question, have you tried the clear batt. stats trick as well?
Search tags for this page

droid x chevyno1 battery drain