Horrendously bad battery life in 6.2

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by turbohappy, Jan 6, 2011.

1. turbohappy

turbohappy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This is on a 1 month old battery that was working fine before upgrade. Upgraded to 6.2 from 5.0 (wiped) and now I'm lucky to get 3 hours out of it even with using it infrequently. It seems warm even when not being used and battery usage is 31% android OS, 29% display, 8% android system, everything else 7% and below. Any ideas?

2. gsDroid

gsDroid Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Read some of the other battery threads that are on the first page of this forum. Did you even look?

3. Joeteck

Joeteck Member

Ratings:
    +0

Oh..its a known problem then, huh? I'll look too...

4. gsDroid

gsDroid Member

Ratings:
    +3
    @Joeteck - Hey, I know you have had battery issues, too, and I'm sorry for your trouble. Since many have not had battery problems with .6.2 I don't believe it is a general problem with the rom. Every other rom thread I've seen includes posts from people having battery problems. There are too many variables to just blame it on the rom. I'm lucky. Every bb rom I've used has been better, smoother, and easier on my battery than the last.

On a final note, I did enjoy the sarcasm employed in your comment.[​IMG]

5. turbohappy

turbohappy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been. They all seem to be talking about the battery stats being wrong. My Droid is actually warm and then shuts down, sometimes within an hour so it seems like something different. Unless I'm looking at the wrong threads.

6. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
  7. gsDroid

gsDroid Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't know if this will help, but I went from 0.5 to 0.6.1 after doing the full factory reset, wipe cache, format system, format boot, and clear dalvik cache. I think I did them 3 times. My .6.1 worked great and when Pete released .6.2, I did a nandroid backup of .6.1 and did all the wipes again, but had some issues on .6.2 with restoring all my apps with Titanium Backup (I still don't know why). I restored my .6.1 nandroid and just wiped cache and dalvik cache and popped .6.2 over it. It went perfectly and I didn't have to restore any apps. If you can get .6 or.6.1 working well, just put .6.2 over it. I'm using the stock kernel, with compcache, and no theme. I get the best battery life I've ever had.

As others have stated, kernels, certain apps, task killers, and themes can adversely affect battery and performance. Some original droids do better with some roms than others. Not following installation instructions can be an issue. I'm sure you will find a rom that suits your droid. Heck, start over from .5 and try again just to see. Good luck.

#7 gsDroid, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  8. Mbk

Mbk Android For Life
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4
    BBv0.6.2 definitely drains battery quicker, have had every BB ROM version for quite a while and with v0.6.2 I've experienced more complete battery drains within a day than with any other ROM with varying types of usage in said days...

I have cleared batt stats and currently have had my BBv0.6.2 running for a day and a half so far (however not too extensive usage), and now it's down to 10%...so will see if after this complete cycle the clearing of batt stats made any difference...

9. borq646

borq646 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What does the battery usage say? I'm curious about something.What are the top 5 offenders in the list and what percent are they using?

10. jcwilliams

jcwilliams Senior Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Mine is actually doing a lot better than before. I was getting half a day on bb.5 now I'm getting a full day (7am to 10pm) but with very little use (20 texts a day, 1 call, and some net). I'm happy with this but after seeing a few ppl are getting like 2 days maybe I should be deleting some apps or freezing some to see if I can get more...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

11. turbohappy

turbohappy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It was:
    31% android OS
    29% display
    8% android system
    several tied at 7%

12. borq646

borq646 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My phone has been on all day and Android System is using 9%.

Every time I have terrible battery life with a ROM/Kernel Android System is always way up there. If that phone has been on for a long time after it's last boot 31% is far too high. Something is running nuts like.

What kernel are you using? If it's a slayher one or something else, try flashing a Chevy kernel, like the 1Ghz ULV one. See what the Android System stats say after it reboots and sits for a couple hours.

I used to run Chevy's ROM and kernel. I had awesome battery life. Then with the latest release my Android System percentage was 30%+ no matter what kernel I used or what I did. I switched ROM's, using a sapphire kernel with Sourcery ROM now and my battery life is sick. I'll take my phone off at 7 am, work all day and check emails/texts all day in meetings and I get a ton of emails since I work in IT, when I leave to go home around 5 pm I have 80% left.

#12 borq646, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011