Horrendous signal, call problems

smittythepig

Reaction score
I got a new Droid sent to me (new in box with charger, battery, etc.) by customer service because of major problems with my various Droid Eris phones. The problems were mainly issues related to being able to make calls. I was so relieved to get the Droid.

Unfortunately I am now starting to have problems with it. First, when I try and make a call I usually have to sit and wait about 10 seconds before it connects. My guess is this is related to where I make the call and the signal problem I mentioned. Happens in my apartment usually I think. I have horrible problems making and receiving calls in my apartment with the Droid. If I DO manage to connect a call the audio is very choppy and usually drops.

You might say it's just a very bad area. But my wife's phone easily makes calls there (she has a moto dumbphone from last year) and sounds crystal clear. I won't get into how bad the Droid sounds on her end even when i'm in an area with strong signal.

My phone shows a couple bars usually in the apt, sometimes just one. But it shouldn't have any problem. I was also driving down hwy 95 today and all of a sudden the phone started breaking up terribly and continued to do so for a couple miles until I had to call the person back. It was fine after that. Had 4 bars the whole time. Not sure if it's related.

I updated the PRL a couple days ago. Don't know if that screwed things up or not. But I think I was having trouble before that. Can't be sure. I run GDE home replacement. Other than that I don't have to much on the phone. I have the phone in an Otterbox case. But I took it off and still had the issue.

OP
S

smittythepig

Reaction score
my bad. posted in wrong forum. should be in Droid forum. mods - please delete. sorry.

atthehop

Reaction score
I got a new Droid sent to me (new in box with charger, battery, etc.) by customer service because of major problems with my various Droid Eris phones. The problems were mainly issues related to being able to make calls. I was so relieved to get the Droid.

Unfortunately I am now starting to have problems with it. First, when I try and make a call I usually have to sit and wait about 10 seconds before it connects. My guess is this is related to where I make the call and the signal problem I mentioned. Happens in my apartment usually I think. I have horrible problems making and receiving calls in my apartment with the Droid. If I DO manage to connect a call the audio is very choppy and usually drops.

You might say it's just a very bad area. But my wife's phone easily makes calls there (she has a moto dumbphone from last year) and sounds crystal clear. I won't get into how bad the Droid sounds on her end even when i'm in an area with strong signal.

My phone shows a couple bars usually in the apt, sometimes just one. But it shouldn't have any problem. I was also driving down hwy 95 today and all of a sudden the phone started breaking up terribly and continued to do so for a couple miles until I had to call the person back. It was fine after that. Had 4 bars the whole time. Not sure if it's related.

I updated the PRL a couple days ago. Don't know if that screwed things up or not. But I think I was having trouble before that. Can't be sure. I run GDE home replacement. Other than that I don't have to much on the phone. I have the phone in an Otterbox case. But I took it off and still had the issue.

Where are you located?

Riddlin

Reaction score
Dont feel bad. I am getting a new incredible, because mine loses signal and rarely gets 3g coverage.

sjacksonauto

Reaction score
The problem is, you are not supposed to talk on the phone while driving.

Sent from my Droid S.Jackson Edition ver. 3.8 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have had the same problem since I've gotten my Droid (got from Verizon Store). I go back to the store and complain, they call tech support and they talk to them and then I talk to them. I explain my problem and how I've read online about other people experiencing the same thing... The ****er called me a Liar (not directly). He said "I have not had anyone call with this complaint before and I have an Incredible and I haven't had that problem". I ask him how long he has had it, he says "Got it yesterday"... I nearly freaked out. But after he talked to other tech members they informed him that this has been a problem other have called about. So after a 20min session of me reading info off my phone to him he says "It has to be the service not the phone, I will make a ticket to have your area checked for problems". So now I'm waiting to hear back. They said they would give me a new phone if need be. The biggest issue I have though is that it is eating my battery alive. On average my phone is telling me that 47% of my battery is going to "signal standby". That is what gets me the most. ARGH! I love the phone but hate tech support.