Horizontal cases, magnetic or otherwise...

solar

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I've been reading a lot of posts about Droid cases, but mostly clipon hard cases. I'm more of a horizontal holser guy, and my old case fit my droid, but the magnets kept putting it into dock mode.

So, i'm still sporting the cheapy verizon one until I find something better. Has anyone tried the Seidio hoziontal case? Or any other magnetic clamp type cases? I really prefer the magnet clamps, but I can't have the Droid draining itself in my pouch.:greendroid:

don_813

Reaction score
this is the only thing i hate about the droid. I cannot find a freaken case for this because of the magnet problem. Almost all cases are magnets

danagudo

Reaction score
VErizon's Droid case works fine

I tried using my old Blackberry case, but had the magnet problem, so I bought the Droid case at Verizon. Tho expensive (~$30 as I recall), it works fine; it's horizontal and doesn't snap off when I sit down. The Velcro is not as easy as a magnet; and it's noisy, but it doesn't drain the Droid.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Yeah. I don't really dig the velcro either, but its all I have for now...:reddroid:

Erich_F

Reaction score
Case Logic

I keep posting about this case, but the word keeps failing to spread. It's a horizontal leather case with simple, nonrotating belt clip. The clip is VERY tight and can actually be a bother to get off :)

It has a magnetic closure, but it DOES NOT affect the Droid, screen in or out. I have been using this case for over a month now and still love it. The Droid fits in it like it was made for it.

Case Logic Black Universal Milan Slim PDA Leather Pouch - CLP105DB

big_clp105db.jpg

RolandOG

Reaction score
The Seido leather case DOES NOT interfere with the docking magnet, at all.

I have that case and what you've stated is accurate, with one caveat. When the glass is facing out the case does NOT trigger docking mode. However, if you face the glass IN I have had the magnet trigger docking mode 4 out of 7 times while sliding the phone in and out of the case. I removed the Droid slowly to test this, but not much slower than I might do when answering a call.

If you don't care about the added protection of facing the glass in then the Seidio works great, at least in my tests. I should add that the leather is quite thick and facing the glass in is probably overkill.

The quality of the Seidio case is exceptional; it's one of the nicest leather pouches I've seen and worth every penny. Face the glass out and you're all set.

Last edited:
OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Hi Erich_F, I did actually se your post before, I was just trying to see if I can get a good horizontal case thread going. Thanks for posting. Its good to know I have an option if I wan't to go to a retail store and get it quickly. I saw that one, but wasn't sure about it. Thanks for the big pic.

Thanks to billyidle and RolandOG for posting about the seidio case. Are you two using the Premium Horizontal Leather Case
clear1x1.gif
or the Premium Horizontal Leather Case for use with Seidio Innocase
clear1x1.gif
? If all I have to do is keep the glass facing out, that would be acceptable. I would prefer that anyway, as the volume button would be facing up so that I could mute call rings easier! If its not too much trouble, would guys be able to post a pic of your droid in the case?

billyidle

Reaction score
Correct, I'm using the Seido premium leather case, the one that works with the Innocase.

RolandOG

Reaction score
Hi Erich_F, I did actually se your post before, I was just trying to see if I can get a good horizontal case thread going. Thanks for posting. Its good to know I have an option if I wan't to go to a retail store and get it quickly. I saw that one, but wasn't sure about it. Thanks for the big pic.

Thanks to billyidle and RolandOG for posting about the seidio case. Are you two using the Premium Horizontal Leather Case
clear1x1.gif
or the Premium Horizontal Leather Case for use with Seidio Innocase
clear1x1.gif
? If all I have to do is keep the glass facing out, that would be acceptable. I would prefer that anyway, as the volume button would be facing up so that I could mute call rings easier! If its not too much trouble, would guys be able to post a pic of your droid in the case?

I have the one for a naked Droid but I've already packed it back up to return to Seidio. As a long time flip phone user I've decided that I'd rather have the Innocase/Holster combo instead of the leather case. Stick with what I know, if you know what I mean.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Hi RolandOG, before you decide to return it to go with the combo, did you try it out? No magnet issues while facing the phone one or either direction?

Cool Billieidle,good to know. Though I think I want to use the case for the naked droid. If I was to use a clamp on case, I think i would get a seidio though.

pathfin9

Reaction score
I ordered mine on the 24th, but got an email saying they were backordered. Not sure when I'll get it, but its good to know that it works well with the Innocase and the magnet doesnt trigger it. I've found that keeping it in your pocket makes the slider get loose. I hope it comes in soon!

-John

RolandOG

Reaction score
Hi RolandOG, before you decide to return it to go with the combo, did you try it out? No magnet issues while facing the phone one or either direction?

I only tested it as described in my previous post and then put it back into its packaging. As I said, in my testing when the glass was facing IN the phone went into car mode 4 out of 7 times while putting it in or pulling it out of the case. When facing the glass OUT it never went into car mode for me.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression, from my tests you can face the glass out and not have it trigger car mode, just as the Seidio site states. The leather is thick and high quality so facing the glass in is overkill, IMO. As I said up-thread, the reason I decided to return the leather case is that I've been using holsters for 10 years and I decided to stick with what I'm comfortable with.

OP
solar

solar

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I think i'll have to get one. This verizon case is aleady begining to show signs of falling apart.