1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Hopefully a question someone can answer.

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by alitke, May 22, 2010.

1. alitke

alitke New Member

I am currently running Smoke Glass latest version and am looking to change. What is the easiest way if I wanted to change to bugless to do so? I am not great with all of this stuff as I work a lot and really have not been able to keep up with everything. Adamz pretty much has not updated in forever so I am looking to something new. I heard ROM Manager is a great app but does it simply allow me to switch to Bugless or do I have to do other steps?

Sorry to sound like a complete scrub but could really REALLY use some help. I am mainly looking for wireless tethering AND a 1ghz setup.
  2. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

ROM Manager will allow you to install Bugless Beast if you have the premium version. I ran Smoked glass for quite a while and liked it alot, but right now I'm running Bugless Beast. I'm running the 1 ghz kernel and the wireless tethering. It's real stable and REALLY fast. Good battery life too. When you install it from ROM Manager, you can select the kernel and theme at the same time, so it's a 1 shot deal to install new ROMs. It even wipes the data for you. It's a sweet ROM. But then I've like pretty much all the ROM's I've run. For me, it comes down to the theme and battery life. They all seem to run really well, and seem to have the same basic set of options available.
  3. alitke

alitke New Member

So it is a guided install with nothing on my end being tough if i have ROM manager? Do I need to change anything from what I have? As in will the kernal or whatever it is called screw up with what I have now?

Sorry to sound like a scrub but do not want to wreck my phone.
  4. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

All you have to do is install it from the market. Then purchase the premium version. It's a separate license file that downloads and enables full functionality. After that, it will tell you it needs to download and install clockwork recovery, which it will do for you. Then you just pick the ROM you want to install and any options you want that are offered by the ROM author. Once it downloads your selection(s) it will ask you if you want to wipe the cache and if you want to back up your current ROM. Then it does the install for you, and automatically does the backup and data wipe during the install process.

It also allows you to back up your current ROM at any time, without any hassles, just so you can have a backup. It's a nice application. Well worth the money. I think it was like $3.99 or so. It also allows you to install updates without having to rename them update.zip and move them to the root of your sd card. It can also check to see if there's a new version of your current ROM and install it for you if there is. I haven't had any problems with it. It did have issues a while ago, when it first came out, but that was then. It's very stable now, and very easy to use.

It's so easy to use, you may find yourself changing ROM's more often. It only takes a few minutes to change one, and if you don't like it, you can just restore the backup you made when you installed the new ROM. Basically, I think it is exactly what you are looking for. It does the work, you just make the choices. And I haven't heard of it bricking any phones.
  5. alitke

alitke New Member

thanks. I know little if anything about "kernals" and did not know how they affected the switch from rom to rom. I have the 1ghz one from Adamz and did not know how that factored in. Just do not want to screw up a phone. Gonna download the rom manager tonight and give her a try. Just need something new. Adamz is either dead or super busy as he has not updated anything in forever.
  6. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

I know. I keep looking for his latest, but haven't seen anything. Anyway, when you install BB, select a 1ghz kernal from the list. Pete says the kernals he has with the ROM are written specifically for his ROM. You don't need to run SetCPU on this ROM since the ROM handles most of the functionality that SetCPU does on other ROMs. If you run into any problems, I can try to help you through them, but I'm not an expert by any means. Good luck, I'm sure you'll love this ROM.
  7. alitke

alitke New Member

So I used ROM manager and after about 10 minutes using Bugless my screen would not turn on. I am trying to get nandroid to do a restore of my previous ROM now. Taking a while but all I know is I am little worried. The phone was definitely working as you could hear it doing things and I could even unlock it but the screen was acting as if it were off the whole time. So pretty much everything was working but the screen.

Just finished rebooting back to Smoked Glass and it works fine. Kinda worried about trying bugless again as losing my screen really freaked me out.
    Last edited: May 23, 2010
  8. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

Which speed kernel did you use?
  9. alitke

alitke New Member

1ghz. Weird thing is that it worked for a good 10mins then all of a sudden turned the screen blank while buttons stayed lighted up. Could even long press the screen and feel it vibrate. Screen simply would not illuminate.
  10. bhughesiii

bhughesiii New Member

Did you have any widgets running? I was having weird issues when running the setcpu active widget. Big time screen lag, dark screen that would take a long time to come back on. It was really frustrating! Try removing any widgets on your home screens and see if that resolves it. Also, did you wipe system before installing? That can cause some issues as well.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  11. ska8r411

ska8r411 New Member

I only use 3 Widgets and I get no lag what so ever. Of course its cynagon rom if that's how u spell it lol

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  12. alitke

alitke New Member

I did have a single widget i do believe i had recently turned on. beautiful widget clock thing.