Honeycomb tablet to Gingerbread tablet

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
A crafty hacker was messing around with some of his configuration files and tried tinkering with the LCD density on his Honeycomb tablet. When setting it to anything above 160, he was met with a very interesting result – the tablet-friendly Honeycomb interface transforms into the Gingerbread interface.

[video=youtube;T8m_Qawds9o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8m_Qawds9o&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - ‪Streak 7 running honeycomb hidden gingerbread‬‏[/video]​

We’re not exactly sure why Google left bits of ginger inside Honeycomb and why it was so easy to uncover, but we aren’t complaining. And we can’t imagine any of you will have any real use for this, but it’s always nice to uncover peculiar stuff. Check it out in the video above.

SOURCE: Android Honeycomb has hidden Gingerbread interface, enabled by higher LCD density -- Engadget

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
One thing I notice with this video (an many others) is that even newer Android devices have UI lag. I'm so tired of UI lag. UI interaction should be seamless; you should NOT have to tap on the icons multiple times before the UI decides to get around to responding.. as if the UI has better things to do than respond to your request. In fact in some cases you almost start to think that the UI has crashed. I've seen some slight lag in the Apple iOS for iPhone & iPAD but no where near as much as I see with pretty much every Android device. If Apple can make a UI that's 99% lag free Google should be able to as well. Perhaps with the release of Ice Cream Sandwich (which is supposed to be the end of Android OS fragmentation) we'll start to see more seamless performance and responsiveness in the UI.

This is an interesting find though. I'm not sure how good honeycomb with gingerbread sprinkles would taste, but it sounds pretty sweet :laugh:

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
One thing I notice with this video (an many others) is that even newer Android devices have UI lag. I'm so tired of UI lag. UI interaction should be seamless; you should NOT have to tap on the icons multiple times before the UI decides to get around to responding.. as if the UI has better things to do than respond to your request. In fact in some cases you almost start to think that the UI has crashed. I've seen some slight lag in the Apple iOS for iPhone & iPAD but no where near as much as I see with pretty much every Android device. If Apple can make a UI that's 99% lag free Google should be able to as well. Perhaps with the release of Ice Cream Sandwich (which is supposed to be the end of Android OS fragmentation) we'll start to see more seamless performance and responsiveness in the UI.

This is an interesting find though. I'm not sure how good honeycomb with gingerbread sprinkles would taste, but it sounds pretty sweet :laugh:
i have noticed the lag also...but then again i am running under the launcher pro app. there is a chance that launcher pro is causing my UI lag.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
This could simply be Dell being lazy and not properly making two seperate ROMs for their tablet. They could have put HC over GB in a shotty way and called it HC.

Also, about UI lag, I get none on my DroidX Running the .591 GB leak with Blur. Its crazy responsive.

Druuseph

Reaction score
This could simply be Dell being lazy and not properly making two seperate ROMs for their tablet. They could have put HC over GB in a shotty way and called it HC.

Also, about UI lag, I get none on my DroidX Running the .591 GB leak with Blur. Its crazy responsive.

Um, no. Honeycomb is not officially released for the Streak (And neither is Gingerbread as far as I know). This is a port of STOCK Honeycomb. If you load up Honeycomb in the emulator and set the DPI it does the same thing. What the says more than anything is that the base UI elements were left in accidentally more than likely from an early cycle of development where UI didn't matter and it was all about getting functionality.

Also, a side note with the UI lag. Again, PORT to an unsupported device. As far as I am aware my Droid Incredible with CyanogenMod 7 has no real lag to speak of, neither do most phones running it. Any UI lag says more to the awful custom interfaces of phones that are not running something AOSP based than it does about Android itself.

Big Ry

Reaction score

x965,325,851

That is my number one priority in my next phone and the reason I refuse to buy another moto phone. (however, the atrix is quite a big step up in that dept from previous moto models).

The lag drives me nuts. I just want a lag free phone. HTC and samsung have been pretty good at preventing lag. Unfortunately, the tbolt is superlagged when plugged in and semilagged when not...maybe the charge is good? :/

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk