Honeycomb 3.0 on OG Droid?

kenbiz

Reaction score
All the phones out now are "old"....got the incredible n its a dinosaur..lol

sarreq

Reaction score
as I've read elsewhere, all the resources for a smaller screen are already included and apps switch to cell mode automatically. I'd say a custom rom is a strong maybe, but an official rom is highly unlikely.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
...the funny thing about Dinosaur Droids is they are the only ones who are running the newest O/S - with the exception of the Nexus S -

........Long live the Original Droid

Last edited:

eewny

Reaction score
Maybe google will finally make a nexus phone for Verizon and we can get an open phone like the og droid. They snubbed us twice. If the nexus 1 had been Verizon I bet their online store would have sold better.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

mr_silent

Reaction score
I don't think they're talking Honeycomb in its current form. Maybe a rom builder will design a version for phones. All the icons and fonts can be adjusted by changing the lcd density and a little script editing.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

illmatic636

Reaction score
We won't know until the Honeycomb SDk is released, but like it was stated before, we still need an official Gingerbread rom

brando56894

Reaction score
I'm not sure i'd even want honeycomb, or even if its possible. Its made for tablets, not phones.

Sent from my Sourcery using Tapatalk

Exactly. People dont seem to get that the current version of honeycomb is made for tablets, not phones. Would you want a full blown linux distro with a full KDE environment on your underpowered droid that has a 3.7" screen? It'd practically be worthless since you could barely interact with it.

I highly doubt the droid will ever see ANY version of Honeycomb considering were still not sure if its getting gingerbread.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Exactly. People dont seem to get that the current version of honeycomb is made for tablets, not phones.

I highly doubt the droid will ever see ANY version of Honeycomb considering were still not sure if its getting gingerbread.

We get that it's made for tablets but it will be optimized for mobile devices soon enough...it was built with dual core in mind - and as far as the Original Droid and Gingerbread, we won't officially get it from Google or VZW but I have been running it on my D1 since December...smooth and seamless

GB D1

mr_silent

Reaction score
Still not sure if its getting gingerbread? Excuxe me but that seems like a pretty ignorant statement considering you post it on this forum. I've had gingerbread on the milestone 1 for 2 months now. As for a version of linux the droid 1 has been able to run Ubuntu for over a year now. Its not too bad either, considering that I just installed YDL 6.1 on my ps3 which runs it on 256mb of ram with an equivelant swap size. I'm getting it set up as a web server at the moment too. The ps3 only allows linux to run off of two of its SPE's and its really not too bad. Admittedly it would be the [Mod Edit] if it could run on the whole system but it suits me okay.
The droid 1 is a remarkable phone in that it has managed to stay current for almost a year and a half now. I'm currently running every Gameloft HD release on it playing modern combat 2 online and still stayin on top of the rankings angainst nexus 1 and droid 2/x/whatever. If you don't know about the droid from experience, you shouldn't post about it. Especially in this forum.
Also how can honeycomb even compare with a "full blown linux distro? Please try not to be so dramatic about this. I can understand if you bought a newer/more advanced phone with a locked bootloader and are upset that these official releases are passing you by, but please don't bash the OG Droid, it truly is a milestone...
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let's try to be a bit more respectful in our responses and watch the language -

GB D1

mr_silent

Reaction score
I apologize if I've dissed anyone but I'm tired of people hatin on the droid, seems almost every thread now it comes up.

sarreq

Reaction score
that's google's intent, that doesn't mean a good rom builder won't at least try to get honeycomb on the D1
and try to remember, the only difference between a phone and a tablet are screen size & resolution, and (if they're smart) battery capacity. as for the rest of the hardware, you could easily make a tablet from the guts of a D1.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
For the record Honeycomb for Tablets was already booted on the Incredible, of course it didn't function at all but everything was visible...so I put nothing past our Developers