Honestly who has better service... Verizon or AT&T

soyboy

Reaction score
One of the few national ratings I have seen, Verizon consistently beats AT&T. i have had both over the years and in the DC - Balto. area they both are pretty good, however when you head out to the mid and western part of MD, Verizon has much better coverage. In my county, Verizon has near blanket coverage except up in the watershed areas of the mountains. AT&T still has a lot of holes in their service. Although, AT&T seems to be picking up. I have found both companies customer service to be pretty good when I have had to deal with them.

hal1

Reaction score
Simple to figure out - Have you ever known ANYONE to leave Verizon to go to AT&T? I think not.

slammed

Reaction score
Simple to figure out - Have you ever known ANYONE to leave Verizon to go to AT&T? I think not.

lol, i did have one friend leave Verizon and goto At&t, but he did it so he could get the iphone and be like everyone else.

Guindalf

Reaction score

Yes, actually.

A LOT of people switched to get an iPhone. Not for the network, but for the phone itself.

Happily, now there is an alternative. My NE2 was up in May and I was out of contract in September, so I was seriously considering a swap until the Droid was announced. I refused to pay the "smartphone tax" for anything less functional than the iPhone or as crippled with VZWare as anything Verizon offered, but the Droid, thankfully, changed that.

wil318466

Reaction score
Not even a real poll. Verizon has the #1 service in the country, I believe. but I guess it all comes down to where you maek most of your calls. In Philly, its Verizon or nothing. Everything else sucks.

-Wil

Mongoose

Reaction score
Pacific Northwest - Absolutely unconditionally with Verizon. In the many years I've been here, I have been in one place where AT&T had coverage and Verizon didn't...but I could literally walk/drive less than a mile, lose the AT&T coverage, but regain my VzN coverage. On the other hand, I have been dozens of places where VzN had coverage and my friends who went to AT&T for the iPhone were bugging me or my wife and kids to use their phones for texting and calling and heaven knows what. Safety is a big issue for me since I spend a lot of time on my boat with my family. I want the best coverage and I'm willing to pay for it...I don't put a price on it. A good way to judge this is to see what outfit the LEO's/EMT/FD recommend as far as coverage goes. Knocking on wood here...but I have NEVER had a dropped call with VzN in the 8 years I have used them...:icon_ devil:

FoFa

Reaction score
I have had Sprint and Verizon (Verizon now for quite a few years) and so far in my area Verizon beats out.

Most anyone I have known to switch off Verizon has done so to get the iPhone (many) or one person because customer service pissed them off.

I think you should check around in your area and see which network offers the best service if that is your concern, and base it on that.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a few friends on at&t because they live in a verizon dead spot. They hate it, they always complain about service and coverage, they just refuse to get a land line.. everybody else I know is on verizon, and for good reason.

mjs31

Reaction score
In my area it is hands down Verizon. AT&T in the immediate town, but anything outside and it is nothing. Also...it seems to me that CDMA just does much better inside my work place than GSM does.

sir

Reaction score
always had signal strength issues and dropped calls with AT&T. now i'm with verizon and the droid.

but until the fix the echo/static issue with the droid, i don't want to comment because i don't have any experience with verizon outside of the droid.

darreno1

Reaction score
Had at&t for a year and it can't compare imo. Verizon down here in SFlorida has better coverage. In my house I hardly ever use the wifi now. So far everywhere I've been has been good in terms data throughput. With At&t it was very spotty for data. Voice was ok though.

Zennmaster

Reaction score
I'm an airline pilot, so I go all over the place all the time. My first carrier was AT&T, back before they switched to GSM (There's your timeline). It was ok until the GSM switch, at which point I lost coverage at my house, and just about everywhere I went.

On the recommendation of a co-worker, I switched to VZW, and have never looked back. I can't remember the last time I saw "No Signal" or whatever it says, except while the phone is booting.

On another issue, when I called to cancel my AT&T service, I think I spent more time on hold for that single call than I have spent on hold IN TOTAL with Verizon in the 6 years or so since I ported.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
On another issue, when I called to cancel my AT&T service, I think I spent more time on hold for that single call than I have spent on hold IN TOTAL with Verizon in the 6 years or so since I ported.

That reminds me of a similar experience. I was with Cingular and was very happy with it. When ATT bought Cingular they shut down the tower near my house and my reception at home went from great to almost non-existent. I had just re-upped with Cingular and called ATT to cancel. I told them I didn't have a landline and what had happened. I went through 3 levels of mgt at the call center, they verified my story (tower shut down) and said "tough, we don't guarantee coverage" and made me pay the early termination fee.

msheldon

Reaction score
Phoenix area, hands down Verizon.

My wife is constantly loaning her phone to her partners (ambulance crew) with iPhones because they keep dropping calls.