Honestly Coming from Blackberry Tour, What to Do About Touch Keyboard!

Million

Reaction score
Yep... Swype is great but not perfect... I've had some issues...

But Motorola is releasing reworked Droid and CLIQ models with better keyboards... so you may want to wait for them.

FireDroid

Reaction score
I am a hunt and peck guy so I will not try swype! Use the landscape droid virtual, and when you start getting used to it you can start typing and train yourself to reach up and tap the work you started typing and save a bunch of time!

imiller913

Reaction score
I too came from a BB Tour and it did take a while to get used to but I got it. I had to use it in landscape for a while.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am a long time user of the Palm Treo which has a great keyboard. I couldn't do anything with the Droid keyboard. Hated it. And to echo others:

Swype is the greatest app you'll ever install. Try it, it's free.

+1 to both points.

One of the selling points for me was the Droid's physical keyboard. I found it disappointing to say the least after my previous phones. Usable but hardly up to the standard set by the Treo. Once I installed Swype, however, I found I almost never use the physical keyboard at all.

I strongly suspect that Swype is going to simply stop working on my phone one of these days. The version we are using is likely one provided for evaluation to selected users/journalists. If so, it almost certainly has a time bomb built in that will stop it at some point, probably in the not too distant future.

I've decided not to worry about it until it happens. But for my wife who tried a Droid Eris and hated it, I'm seriously considering the Omnia II where Swype is a guaranteed option. (She loves it on my Droid.)

nyijedi

Reaction score
I am a long time user of the Palm Treo which has a great keyboard. I couldn't do anything with the Droid keyboard. Hated it. And to echo others:

Swype is the greatest app you'll ever install. Try it, it's free.

This is funny, because I'm the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of this. While the physical keyboard on the Droid is lacking compared to some of my older phones having a physical QWERTY, I adapted to it pretty quickly and I use it for everything now. Maybe it's because I don't have monster fingers? I don't know...but I have zero problems with the physical keyboard. Sure, it could be much better, but even in its current state, I find it much easier to use than a virtual keyboard.

And as for Swype, I've been trying to use it on and off for the last few weeks since everyone seems to love it, and I absolutely HATE it. Admittedly, I seem to be in the minority on this, but I just don't like it. To each his own, I guess.

au1776

Reaction score
I would suggest just buying wholesale into Swype. Like it or not, once you get it your messaging will be much, much easier.

I have no doubt that Swype comes less naturally to some, and that some don't like the idea, but I've gotta think the large majority of people can become much quicker on Swype than on the standard touch keyboard.

Barkleyfan

Reaction score
Swype WILL increase your productivity, once you get used to it. I still prefer physical keyboard, however. Probably because my previous phone was the HTC Kaiser. I'm just used to sliding the keyboard. But I'm also used to tilting it, and I keep catching myself trying to tilt my droid.