Honestly Coming from Blackberry Tour, What to Do About Touch Keyboard!

M.J.H.

Reaction score
I don't know what to do about this phone... I absolutely LOVE the phone itself and it's blazingly fast but I feel like I am concerned with the stability of the overall operating system. Yes I did download 2.1 and I expected there to be bugs but it seems to constantly reboot for no reason at all.

I had a GDE background / theme setup that was okay but I deleted it because it seemed to slow down the phone too much. And I have had the Better Keyboard application for quite some time it's basically all that I use.

But my concern is the typing on the touch screen! I absolutely cannot manage to type quickly and efficiently no matter what setting or skin I seem to go with. I am wondering how you guys are doing it? Because I'm ridiculously quick at every other phone typing phone except this one.

Need recommendations!

minmongoblin

Reaction score
I use Swype for typing. There are plenty of topics to search for about that =)

J

Johnly

I don't know what to do about this phone... I absolutely LOVE the phone itself and it's blazingly fast but I feel like I am concerned with the stability of the overall operating system. Yes I did download 2.1 and I expected there to be bugs but it seems to constantly reboot for no reason at all.

I had a GDE background / theme setup that was okay but I deleted it because it seemed to slow down the phone too much. And I have had the Better Keyboard application for quite some time it's basically all that I use.

But my concern is the typing on the touch screen! I absolutely cannot manage to type quickly and efficiently no matter what setting or skin I seem to go with. I am wondering how you guys are doing it? Because I'm ridiculously quick at every other phone typing phone except this one.

Need recommendations!
FT BB....lol, that needs the most maintenance, get real and let yourself free of the BS

x25064

Reaction score
Uh...............

Slide the screen up when tilted to the left and use the physical qwerty?

From my understanding 2.1 is not OEM yet so if you've uploaded it and now your phone is rebooting and giving you hell, that is NOT the phones problem, it is because you chose to upload firmware that may not be entirely ready for mass consumption yet. That is the risk you take when loading "roms" and tinkering with firmware. My droid runs solid aside from a few Android 2.0 glitches everyone already knows about.

Last edited:
OP
M

M.J.H.

Reaction score
I guess I should try using the physical keyboard more I guess I just never feel like opening up the entire phone but okay that makes sense I would just think that if the iPhone can text like a maniac on the touch screen keyboard I don't see why we would not be able to do the same.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I guess I should try using the physical keyboard more I guess I just never feel like opening up the entire phone but okay that makes sense I would just think that if the iPhone can text like a maniac on the touch screen keyboard I don't see why we would not be able to do the same.
You've gotten realize you're coming from a QWERTY device expecting to be as fast typing on a Touch Screen device. It's just not gonna happen over night. You basically need to learn all over. I know it's a bum deal but they're two different animals.

The physical keyboard is there however :)

terriermike

Reaction score
Yea...try the physical keyboard. If you don't like it, you'll probably get used to it. And definitely check out swype...using that I can text using just my right thumb in portrait mode just as fast as I could type with my Tour.

No denying the Tour's keyboard is nice, but really, would you rather have that, or the big, beautiful high res screen of the Droid? Choice is obvious for me.

mjs31

Reaction score
Give it time and practice. I came from the Tour as well and can type just as fast, if not faster, on the virtual keyboards. Now though, I use SWYPE and can fly.... Let go of the BB and just take your time. As for stability....come on!!! Forget the days of having to pull the battery all the time because your system slows down. Forget the days of broken promises about new and improved upgrades. Just relax and go with the flow...you will love it. Many of us are former BB users and are not looking back.

minmongoblin

Reaction score
It takes practice. The two phones have almost identical keyboards/response.

mjs31

Reaction score
Yea...try the physical keyboard. If you don't like it, you'll probably get used to it. And definitely check out swype...using that I can text using just my right thumb in portrait mode just as fast as I could type with my Tour.

No denying the Tour's keyboard is nice, but really, would you rather have that, or the big, beautiful high res screen of the Droid? Choice is obvious for me.

The Tours keyboard was my favorite, but I can honeslty say I do not miss it at all. Especially with Swype. I actually typed on my coworkers Tour tonight for the first time in a long time and just did not like it. Besides his track ball is starting to act up....

Oh yeah...I do not use the Droids physical keyboard at all.

Last edited:

darreno1

Reaction score

We? I text like a maniac on mine. And with swype it's fun. Also why would you expect stability out of an early unofficial 2.1 upgrade? I'm sure the devs are working to make it more stable, but it's still a work in progress.

That's like me taking a BB Tour and putting somebody's not yet stable rom on it (if possible at all) and complaining that it's not rock solid like everyone's saying. Sorry but that makes little sense.

shademar

Reaction score
Swype for regular use (it flies and works particularly well one-handed in portrait orientation), physical for anything that predictive text bogs down with and general web surfing in landscape. They work together as a close to perfect combo imo.

Troy

Reaction score
I had better keyboard too, and it wasn't better. You're "better" off using the android keyboard, it's more precise. btw, I had a Tour too. If the tour was as fast as the droid, I take the BB back in a heartbeat.