Honest review from a critical nerd.

Creed

Reaction score
Camera:
Razr - 8MP autofocus w/LED flash image stabilizer
GNex - 5MP autofocus w/LED flash zero shutter lag

...and the camera on the Razr is awful? What does that make the camera on the GNex?

Rarz has a 1780 mAh battery while the GNex have the 1750 mAh. So if the battery is awful on the Razr, I guess it is terrible on the GNex, however the Razr comes with Smart Action which has proven to give me and many others extended battery life. There are many posts on the web that explain how to use this. Try reading some of those posts and you might change your opinion.

Processor:
Both use a 1.2 GHz dual-core Texas Instruments System-On-Chip Open Multimedia Application Platform processor.

Razr: TI OMAP 4430 - 1GHz and 304MHz
GNex: TI OMAP 4460 - GNex 1.5gz and 384MHz

The GNex has faster processor but honestly I don't think I would notice much of a difference.

The GNex has No expandable Storage and No HDMI support.

Both will eventually have the same software so using that as an argument is weak.

Both phones are nice but personally I think the Razr is better contracted. That is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. As I said in my previous post, once it comes out I will go to my local store and see how it feels in my hand and make a final determination then, but going off what I have read and seen so far in videos, I don't feel it is better. If you love the phone go buy it. If it did not come with ICS would you still buy it?

Lets start with the camera. You say that since the Razr is 8mp and the Nexus is 5mp the fact that the Razr is bad means the Nexus must be worse but in actuality MP is meaningless if you don’t plan on plastering your prints on the wall. In fact, to record in HD all you need is a mere 1.15mp. The Nexus camera is far superior because the pictures are less noisy, the compression is better (none of those stripes), the white balance is pretty good and the color reproduction is extremely accurate.

On to the battery. The Razr has a 1780mAH battery while the Nexus has 1850mAH (your data was off) but in addition to that, the chip in the Nexus is higher-binned and under-clocked which reduces the energy used by the chip tremendously. On top of all that is the simple fact that ICS offers huge battery improvements while motoblur is a battery hog. Even with ICS, the Razr will still have motoblur which still will not be as efficient from a battery perspective.

In addition to all that, the chip is much better than the one in the Razr not because it can be clocked higher but because it is clocked the same but is higher binned. (as I said before, more efficient) The GPU in the Razr is simply bad, if I remember correctly it runs at 200MHz which when compared to the 384MHz the Nexus runs at is slow to say the last. Your last point about software being updated is mute because of motoblur. Even with ICS motoblur is still motoblur and will never run as smoothly as native ICS.

Edit: Nexus DOES have HDMI support.

Last edited:

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Lets start with the camera. You say that since the Razr is 8mp and the Nexus is 5mp the fact that the Razr is bad means the Nexus must be worse but in actuality MP is meaningless if you don’t plan on plastering your prints on the wall. In fact, to record in HD all you need is a mere 1.15mp. The Nexus camera is far superior because the pictures are less noisy, the compression is better (none of those stripes), the white balance is pretty good and the color reproduction is extremely accurate.

On to the battery. The Razr has a 1780mAH battery while the Nexus has 1850mAH (your data was off) but in addition to that, the chip in the Nexus is higher-binned and under-clocked which reduces the energy used by the chip tremendously. On top of all that is the simple fact that ICS offers huge battery improvements while motoblur is a battery hog. Even with ICS, the Razr will still have motoblur which still will not be as efficient from a battery perspective.

In addition to all that, the chip is much better than the one in the Razr not because it can be clocked higher but because it is clocked the same but is higher binned. (as I said before, more efficient) The GPU in the Razr is simply bad, if I remember correctly it runs at 200MHz which when compared to the 384MHz the Nexus runs at is slow to say the last. Your last point about software being updated is mute because of motoblur. Even with ICS motoblur is still motoblur and will never run as smoothly as native ICS.

Edit: Nexus DOES have HDMI support.

And may I add, yeah!

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Are you sure you did you research and got you facts straight? Let's see....

You can't honestly believe that camera is better on the GNex than the Razr.

Camera:
Razr - 8MP autofocus w/LED flash image stabilizer
GNex - 5MP autofocus w/LED flash zero shutter lag

...and the camera on the Razr is awful? What does that make the camera on the GNex?

Rarz has a 1780 mAh battery while the GNex have the 1750 mAh. So if the battery is awful on the Razr, I guess it is terrible on the GNex, however the Razr comes with Smart Action which has proven to give me and many others extended battery life. There are many posts on the web that explain how to use this. Try reading some of those posts and you might change your opinion.

Processor:
Both use a 1.2 GHz dual-core Texas Instruments System-On-Chip Open Multimedia Application Platform processor.

Razr: TI OMAP 4430 - 1GHz and 304MHz
GNex: TI OMAP 4460 - GNex 1.5gz and 384MHz

The GNex has faster processor but honestly I don't think I would notice much of a difference.

The GNex has No expandable Storage and No HDMI support.

Both will eventually have the same software so using that as an argument is weak.

Both phones are nice but personally I think the Razr is better contracted. That is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. As I said in my previous post, once it comes out I will go to my local store and see how it feels in my hand and make a final determination then, but going off what I have read and seen so far in videos, I don't feel it is better. If you love the phone go buy it. If it did not come with ICS would you still buy it?

Boz you make some good points but I have to ask:

1. Have you seen pics from the Razr? I have, three different units and all of them had off color displays, one blue grey, one prison grey,and the last one had a green tint. The 5-8 mp difference doesn't matter as much as the lens and it's f-stop. My old Nokia had only a 3.2 mp sensor but it out shot many 5 mp cameras because it had an Carl Ziess lens.

2. Trying to argue that that two batteries one removable and one not with nearly the same capacity is silly. A removeable battery gives you twice the capacity in seconds. I do agree that Smart Actions should be on every smart phone made but a non-removable battery in not a plus in the pro column.

3. 1 GHz vs 1.5 GHz not noticeable? Are you nuts, 500 MHz is nearly as fast as the OG Droid?

For me none of these are deal killers for the Razr, but I think it's good to be honest about it.
Also the Gnex may not be the "God Phone".

OP
T

TheBoyPat

Reaction score
Your points became moot when you equated megapixels to camera quality.