Home Screen - Motor Blue Home

REMilk

Reaction score
This is one of a series of brief postings on Home Screens and Home Screen Replacements. This review is based on the version that was available in the App Market during the period October 22, 2011 through October 31, 2011. The posting contains my personal view of the Home Screen Replacements. All were installed on my Droid 3. If you like this Home Screen, please post and describe what you like about it. If you do not like this Home Screen, then please describe what you do not like about it and/or what you think needs to be changed to improve it. Just saying something like “I like it” or “It sucks” provides not much in the way of information to those with an interest of finding out more about this Home Screen.

Moto Blur Home (Droid 3 Stock)
This stock Home Screen is considered fully-featured as opposed to a minimalist view. It is a solid middle-of-the-road performer and meets the needs of many people. It supports scrollable, resizable widgets. It supports folders, but the folder graphics are from a pre-defined set. You seem to be limited to 5 screens and you cannot continuously rotate through screens. The screen grid size is predefined and not changeable. The dock area is limited to 4 icons and you cannot scroll the dock area.

This works well for my wife and she sees no reason to change. For the period I used it, this worked fine. For me, I prefer additional functionality or 'whiz-bang' that this does not provide.

NoBloatware

Reaction score
Stock home has been laggy for years. What a joke. The dock isn't as customizable, and overall it lacks basic features. I suggest that you put ADW on your wife's phone and have her try it out.

OP
REMilk

REMilk

Reaction score
Stock home has been laggy for years. What a joke. The dock isn't as customizable, and overall it lacks basic features. I suggest that you put ADW on your wife's phone and have her try it out.

I agree with you that there are many benefits to using a Home Screen replacement. As I implied, she is happy with the stock Moto Blur Home. She does not 'stress' her Droid 3 like I or others do and says she has never had any issue with lag, redraws or delays and the included features meet her needs. Given that, I will not upset the household over something like a Home Screen replacement.

She played with some of the alternatives I have reviewed on my phone and seems willing try out something like "NetFront Life Screen" if we can ever figure out how to remove/add apps to the carousel. She likes the 'uniqueness' of it.

One of the things I like about the Android family is that you have a myriad of choices, in this case, the Home Screen replacement. At least in the Droid family, you are not locked into a specific Home Screen. You can download and try them all and in the end you choose the one that fits your individual needs and requirements the best.