Home Screen - Icon Delay

fotoamazonas

Reaction score
no need to root...

I was experiencing a mind-numbing delay (sometimes up to 30 seconds) getting to my home screen. following advice, i removed icons from all but 3 screens. the delay vanished instantly! now i'm back to having the speedy droid i knew and loved. having fewer icons is a pain, but i'm using folders now (for games, etc), and it's well worth it.

fyi, running stock 2.2

Dj Carpenter

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is one of the reasons I rooted my Droid. Mine got so laggy and I too has having blank home screens, only the dock bar was showing. And I never had that problem again until I started using MIUI which I like, but I can't flash anything else anyway

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I was experiencing a mind-numbing delay (sometimes up to 30 seconds) getting to my home screen. following advice, i removed icons from all but 3 screens. the delay vanished instantly! now i'm back to having the speedy droid i knew and loved. having fewer icons is a pain, but i'm using folders now (for games, etc), and it's well worth it.

fyi, running stock 2.2

God that's so funny, I also tried that a got no
Improvement at all. The only thing that worked for me was a hard reset. Now I've got 7 home screens all filled with widgets & icons. No delays no problems.

fotoamazonas

Reaction score
Hey foto let us know how it's working in a couple of days.

just an update...

after removing icons from all but 3 screens 2 days ago, my droid is still flying at break-neck speed. no lag at all. strange how this works for some but not all. clearly this is a multi-factorial problem.

Sweettooth

Reaction score
You ought to try out LauncherPro. I'd heard about it numerous times and finally installed it, and I absolutely love it! It has some cool features, customizations, and best of all, no more redraw lag! If anything it makes scrolling smoother. :D

sfchris

Reaction score
I had the slowness problem for the last 4 months (since the 2.2 update). The recent FRG83D over the air update finally fixed it though!!!!!!!!!!!! It's like my phone is brand new again!!!!

arcturner

Reaction score
Mine is getting baaaaad. All apps off card. Icons only on one home screen. No task killers, etc. I have FRG83D. This really, really frustrating!

Thanks for listening.

greenskorpion

Reaction score
So how exactly does one do a hard reset. Also how do I send ringtones on my Droid 1?

datacreek

Reaction score
It's back. I thought after the update the problem was resolved. For a few days the phone was zippy and then one day after some extensive browsing the lag was there. It seems to come and go but when you do any memory intensive process it's prone to happen.
I don't think a hard reset will work, at least not permanently. It has to do with the way memory/cache is handled.

I'm on a Droid 1. Maybe folks using later Droids are not experiencing this (as bad). This might be where the faster processor pays off. I really wish the devs would come up with a solution. Out of the dozens that have been mentioned and the various launchers tried nothing seems permanent.

u7mg0

Reaction score
I have the same problem after the update. it is so slow. i really hate it - not the phones fault. i cant wait to upgrade in a few months

no one seems to have a solution. unless it is not as widespread as we thinkg

sheriffwoody

Reaction score
Update to missing delay home screen icons droid

Ive posted on this thread one before for the home screen icon lag. My phones pretty much been doing it since i got it, the first month this droid came out and i still have it, cracked screen and all (Im waiting maybe iphone will come to verizon????)...
Anyway, ive tried different ROM's after rooting and it never really helped... Recently i switched from buggless beast to cyanogenmod-6.1.2 I have android version 2.2.1 FRG83D ....
Although my phone is slow as molasis in general, its been over a week and my icons are always there. Only issue is laggy response. but to know my icon WILL be there when i am in a hurry and need something from my phone immediatedly! had to wait 20 seconds or so at times.
so far ROM change may have worked!.
I bought the app ROMmanager and went that route, altho if you have the time you can do it yourself for free there is plenty of info on that.

arcturner

Reaction score
Mine is getting baaaaad. All apps off card. Icons only on one home screen. No task killers, etc. I have FRG83D. This really, really frustrating!

Thanks for listening.

What phone? What Launcher?

Droid 1 and stock Launcher. Delays are getting into the 20 second range now. I find myself cursing frequently at it. I rely on it heavily for business; it's very unprofessional not being able to answer call because of the lag or sometimes the lag is so bad that I thought that I missed the call but didn't and end up calling that person back and having each of us on call waiting with the other - just an example. I can hardly take it anymore but don't want to spend $500 for another phone that will do the same thing. Also throw in the hanging up on every tenth caller or so, totally randomly. At first I blamed it on a colleague's iphone reception, but I think I own the problem.