Home Screen - Icon Delay

dj928

Reaction score
I only had put about 5 apps to the sd cars, most of them weren't capable of moving. Moved them back to phone. Didn't help. Not sure how bad of a delay others are experiencing, but I have a blank screen for about 8 seconds before icons show. Over the course of a day, the delay becomes substantial.

DroidGurl

Reaction score
I too wish I hadn't updated. I got a replacement phone just a couple of weeks ago and have maybe 5 apps installed - Pandora, a note pad, a ring toggle...super basic stuff. I have the icon delay even with a brand new SD card, no apps on it.

I am most upset that Pandora doesn't work, the audio quality is terrible because 2.2 cannot properly decode exceptionally common audio files. (I contacted Pandora and they sent me links to the known issues on this.) I use my phone, browser, email and Pandora most on my phone - I live in a rural area with no decent radio stations. I wish I could go back to 2.1, I don't see what good the update did, and it just messed a lot of stuff up.

sperho

Reaction score
I was having the same problem and I tracked it down to running System Monitor. I'm also running LP and have about four screen loaded with icons and widgets...

out4droid

Reaction score
Pull the battery while the phone is still on WORKS (so far)

I tried the "three battery pull" trick to smooth that problem out. I finally decided to do a battery pull while the phone was still on and it works great now. It's not slow, not choppy and the icons all appear as they're supposed to. Pull the battery while the phone is still on and see if that fixes it.

I was also going crazy with the delays. So I came to the board and read your suggestion. About 30 mins ago (15:00hrs 8/24), I pulled the battery while the phone was still on and the delay is gone.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll let you know if the delay returns.

jeffe65

Reaction score
Maybe it's coincidence, but I've tried this twice: If the screen doesn't redraw after a bit, try tracing your finger over the screen, like you're drawing a circle on it. Both times, the icons came back right away. It may be that the electromagnetic input wakes it up a bit...

ricca218

Reaction score
Dakster and all,

I currently am having this problem with the icon delay as well. However, i only figured out how to store apps on the sd card last night, and was having the problem long before i figured this out. I did, however, do the original "official" manual froyo update that was posted on droid-life before motorola/verizon stopped pushing the OTA for whatever reason. So im curious about whether people who did that original manual update that i did are the only ones experiencing the problem. Is anyone who received the actual OTA experiencing this icon delay?

From what i read, that manual update wasn't as "clean" as the real OTA update that was pushed. I really want to downgrade back to 2.1 so my phone will receive the actual OTA, but to be honest i cant really figure all that stuff out. I wish i did not make the mistake of doing the manual update so that my phone was living the life that verizon/motorola intended. I mean my build number is the as the OTA so i could be wrong, but it would really put my mind at ease.

jeffe65

Reaction score
Dakster and all,

I currently am having this problem with the icon delay as well. However, i only figured out how to store apps on the sd card last night, and was having the problem long before i figured this out. I did, however, do the original "official" manual froyo update that was posted on droid-life before motorola/verizon stopped pushing the OTA for whatever reason. So im curious about whether people who did that original manual update that i did are the only ones experiencing the problem. Is anyone who received the actual OTA experiencing this icon delay?

From what i read, that manual update wasn't as "clean" as the real OTA update that was pushed. I really want to downgrade back to 2.1 so my phone will receive the actual OTA, but to be honest i cant really figure all that stuff out. I wish i did not make the mistake of doing the manual update so that my phone was living the life that verizon/motorola intended. I mean my build number is the as the OTA so i could be wrong, but it would really put my mind at ease.

While I have no stake in the software pushed by Verizon OTA or the equivalent manual updates, I can tell you as a software engineer that as long as the "signed" file(s) and other factors are in place, they are one and the same updates. Whether you got it OTA or manually, it went to the same place on your phone (the root of your SD card) and proceeded to run from there.

This forum doesn't give us an accurate picture of the percentage of problems from one or the other; I'm not sure where you could get that data. What I can tell you is, as complex as all of this is, there are a number of factors that could contribute to the problems you and others may experience, some of which Verizon and Motorola can't fix, other than a replacement of your phone.

If it puts your mind at ease to use an OTA to see whether it works, then by all means try it. If you're wondering the difference between files, I believe the smaller manual update (~36MB) file is equivalent to the "standard" OTA update, while the larger one (76MB) is much like the the one used at Verizon to do a complete reinstall. I may be wrong on those counts, but from what I understand, this is what your available choices are. If you're using the smaller manual file, that may be your problem; it's more of a true "upgrade" than a clean install. The OTA would doubtfully do much different. If that doesn't work, try having Verizon do a clean install if you don't want to pursue more manual remedies.

Good luck; I know how frustrating these issues can be.

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I found installing the larger file (I had gotten the OTA first) helped considerably.
Also, FWIW, I find exiting out of an app via back key (or quit option) as opposed to hitting the home key seems to make a difference, but YMMV.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ricca218

Reaction score
Phoenix,

Did you do the manual update? Or did you get update when the OTA was pushed to your phone? I did the manual update which I think is the smaller 45mb file...I wish there were clear directions on how to get back to 2.1 so I can update via OTA... I have heard the same as you about the larger file running smoother because it was a cleaner install

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
I got the OTA first, then installed the 76.9 mb file, which is the full install, from this link in another thread:9046f5a3ec09.signed-voles-ota-45394.zip (I'd link direct to the thread but I can't find it at the moment--lots of pages to scroll through!). That one I installed manually since it didn't get pushed to me.

ricca218

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can use this 76.9mb file to do the updateeven if I've already manually updatedusing the 45mb file?

hoosiermama

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg81
I tried the "three battery pull" trick to smooth that problem out. I finally decided to do a battery pull while the phone was still on and it works great now. It's not slow, not choppy and the icons all appear as they're supposed to. Pull the battery while the phone is still on and see if that fixes it.
I was also going crazy with the delays. So I came to the board and read your suggestion. About 30 mins ago (15:00hrs 8/24), I pulled the battery while the phone was still on and the delay is gone.

I did the same after reading that, and I no longer have any delays. Thanks!

comprocon

Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can use this 76.9mb file to do the updateeven if I've already manually updatedusing the 45mb file?

I just did that, and phone seems to be working okay.

Still getting delays with icons though, but doing a wipe cache and will see.

jeffe65

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mg81

I did the same after reading that, and I no longer have any delays. Thanks!

I've always been of the understanding that pulling a power supply while a device is in use is a bad idea, but maybe that's more for high-voltage/AC-types of things like desktop PC's. Anybody know whether this would have a detrimental effect on a cell phone?

aldaudio

Reaction score
ive done battery pulls, and it still leads to redraws. im beginning to believe what others have said, and that its just a 2.2 issue.