home screen always locked in portrait mode

nepkp

Reaction score
I have had this phone for 2 months. I just love the phone. it's amazing. But the home screen always being locked in portrait mode unless a cable is plugged in, is very annoying. What is up with the non rotating home screen on the Droid RAZR Maxx HD? I only can do it by plugging in some kind of optional cable and I'd like to do it all the time. Are they ever going to make this part of the basic operating system?

snowman

Reaction score
I'd say the sensor in your phone is bad get it replaced
your the first I have heard of this

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Download androsensor and post your results...perhaps someone can compare readings with you... so you can verify if your sensor is faulty..

-insert catchy phrase here-

PW_Irvine

Reaction score
Download the Android Sensor Box app from Google Play and check the "orientation sensor" in your phone. If it's not working properly, demand a replacement phone. However, first check your Settings/Accessibility to make sure that your "auto-rotate screen" option is selected. Good luck!

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
It has nothing to do with OP's sensor.
The homescreen doesn't rotate unless it's in car mode.

Dumb........ Motorola

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
It has nothing to do with OP's sensor.
The homescreen doesn't rotate unless it's in car mode.

Dumb........ Motorola

This I didn't know...so his device operates as intended...

-insert catchy phrase here-

snowman

Reaction score
Pw_irvine has a good idea I forgot about settings it is turned on isn't it?

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
Download the Android Sensor Box app from Google Play and check the "orientation sensor" in your phone. If it's not working properly, demand a replacement phone. However, first check your Settings/Accessibility to make sure that your "auto-rotate screen" option is selected. Good luck!

Home screen does not rotate regardless of this setting. Just how the phone works.

snowman

Reaction score
Yeti35 then your phone is messed up and needs a replacement
Verizon will most likely have you do a reset before replacing if you want to try this first
but you will have to reinstall everything which sucks a bit
talk to a level 2 guy at tech support they may have a better idea and it actually could be an app. that causes this
they will take control of your phone and take a look at it, most of the guys are ok with it being rooted if it is
they have never said anything to me about it I just unroot before I talk to them but SU and Voodoo are still
on the phone and they can see that, be sure and hard reset before sending it back but root will show no matter what you do but it is a hardware failure
so they are good with replacing it., good luck

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeti35 then your phone is messed up and needs a replacement
Verizon will most likely have you do a reset before replacing if you want to try this first
but you will have to reinstall everything which sucks a bit
talk to a level 2 guy at tech support they may have a better idea and it actually could be an app. that causes this
they will take control of your phone and take a look at it, most of the guys are ok with it being rooted if it is
they have never said anything to me about it I just unroot before I talk to them but SU and Voodoo are still
on the phone and they can see that, be sure and hard reset before sending it back but root will show no matter what you do but it is a hardware failure
so they are good with replacing it., good luck
So you are saying your HOME screen rotates when you rotate the phone? Neither my Maxx or my Maxx HD ever rotated the home screen. As far as I know neither did my X. You sure you are understanding the OP's issue? My phone is not screwed up and is working fine.

snowman

Reaction score
Yeti yes you are correct and I was wrong it does not rotate on HOME screen !!!!
while in some apps it should sorry I didn't read well:D

turbodave

Reaction score
So you are saying your HOME screen rotates when you rotate the phone? Neither my Maxx or my Maxx HD ever rotated the home screen. As far as I know neither did my X. You sure you are understanding the OP's issue? My phone is not screwed up and is working fine.

I'm not sure snowman is understanding the original question either. The Home screen/Desktop (whatever you want to call it) is not supposed to rotate. Nor are the subsequent screens that show all your apps/widgets.
The only time the screen should rotate is when you are actually "IN" an app/widget.

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The only time the screen should rotate is when you are actually "IN" an app/widget.
To expand apon this the home screen will rotate as said above when installed in a car dock. I don't personally have one, but know someone that does and it does in fact work then.

snowman

Reaction score
yes Dave thats what I meant while operating in an app it should rotate with most at least
but no not on home screen I misread at first ==== orginal op (nepkp) your phone is functioning nomal

PW_Irvine

Reaction score
Yes, the HOME SCREEN, by design, does NOT rotate. I misread the OP's original comment and question. I would add that there are many apps that, by design, do not permit screen rotation either. For example, OneCast comes to mind. Question for the group: Are there any third-party launchers that allow you to change home screen orientation?

Last edited: