Home replacement questions

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by qwiksilver711, Feb 14, 2010.

1. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Looking for a home replacement app, and I don't really demand much from it. All I really want is a few more screens. There is a catch. When I swipe my thumb to go to the next screen I want it to snap like the stock home does. I have tried home++, pandahome, as well as the 2.1 launcher.

I didn't really like the first two as they did not snap to the next screen like the stock home does, they would slide and stick between screens (I understand that this is a feature of those that some like, I don't)

The 2.1 launcher seemed to do what I wanted but my phone got really laggy when I had that installed and it got better once I uninstalled it.

Any suggestions or helpful comments or tips on how to get more screens and have them snap like stock home does would be greatly appreciated.

2. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use Home++ and I don't have any lag at all when moving between screens since I have rooted and overclocked my phone. I did have the lag you are talking about before rooting, but accepted that as a tradeoff for 5 screens etc.
    If you don't mind spending lot's of time working with /on your phone, you might try Sweeterhome 2. There is a large learning curve but the customization is almost limitless.

3. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you gnmitchell for the tip, I'll check sweeterhome 2 when I go to lunch in four hours and see how I like it.

4. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Member

Ratings:
    +0
  5. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wow

sweeter home 2, just downloaded it, I think this is just what I was looking for, a bit intimidated with the options there, but I'm going to stumble my way through it once I get home and see if this will work for me, I hope beyond all hope it will, because this seems sick

7. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Launcher+ Beta only gives more home screens and drag/drop uninstall.

It's made by Home++ but it's not a complete home replacement. If you only want extra screen it might be the way to go. I'm not sure if it snaps, never used it, but it's a shot!

You can find it in the Market for free.

8. seang

seang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    tried several, i like GDE.

9. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    @nerdbox,

I tried launcher plus, it may work if this sweeter home doesn't work out for me. So far from what i've seen (which was 10 minutes of fiddeling around on lunch break) sweeter home will work.

@seang,

Thanks, again, if sweeter home does not turn out what I hope for I will try GDE as well.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    We have a winner! Great suggestion. :D

I am on day two of using SweeterHome. This is easily the coolest app on my phone. I can make my phone look and do exactly what I want it to, awesome. After a few hours, I think I have my home screens down to what I want.....a completely blank screen with hidden springboards to launch app trays.

I'm not sure I know what the OP means by "snap" between screens. You mean a "snap" sound or just the speed? I can jump around the screens in SweeterHome fairly quickly, but it doesn't make any noise. It also "slides" between screens instead of changing like channels.

-Mike

11. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what i mean by snap is on the stock home i slide to switch screens and it ends up on one or the other, doesnt let you be half on one and half on the other like home++, thats what I want, i dont want to be half on one screen and half on the other, anal i know, but irritating. I would compromise with sweeter home 2 if it is actually as customizable as it seems

12. ytwokc5

ytwokc5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am running Home++ with 5 screens currently and I love it. When I switch screens, if it's halfway between 2 screens and I lift my finger off the screen it snaps to the next screen. There is a setting for "Workspace Looping", if that is checked you will see the behavior you are referring to, uncheck it and the screen will snap like you want it to.

13. CGC2

CGC2 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Home++ needs an update..developer lagging on kicking one out.
    Tried Sweeter Home 2 and my phone did not play nice..must have an app loaded that does not like it.

14. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    agreed that the Home++ developer is lagging, but considering its a free app you can't blame them.
    qwiksilver- just curious to know if sweeter worked for you.

15. qwiksilver711

qwiksilver711 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sweeter home will defiantly work for me, i'm just stuck in that huge learning curve you spoke about, working my way through tutorials for it, but it really was exactly what I wanted as far as the amount of customization .