Home Replacement Apps = Completely new phone experience.

Discussion in 'Android Applications Discussions' started by bamfsig45, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Jorenm

Jorenm New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought this app to see if it would make the home screen smoother...and it DOES! My home screen was always kinda choppy when swiping it, but this app makes it totally smooth.

I haven't yet found any skins\icon packs that I like, but I enjoy having the option available. The only problem with icon packs is they generally only replace the built-in apps, and then any 3rd party app icons do not match. :(

2. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Really should check out "GDE". It has now been updated for 2.0, has a nice cube option and many settings. Not sure on the max limit of pages, but it is a ton. You can also select which page you want to be your home. Not a huge amount of themes, but most are free. Nice application. Available at Market.

3. mapexvenus

mapexvenus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i can't find the open home app - all I see are open home themes. Help!

4. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    search for Open Home Full

5. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow I tried out PandaHome which isn't fully 2.0 compatible yet and it looks really promising. There are lots of cool features like the ability to make little docks of icons at any corner or sides of the screen and have them be any size you want. You can drag icons to either edge of the screen and it adds a new screen for you in that direction. There is a "quick menu" that you can enable so when you long press any icon on one of your screens, you get a menu that lets you trash the icon, uninstall the app, go straight to application info, rename the icon, change the icon, etc. You can modify themes on the fly (font colors and whatnot). You can hide app icons from the app list! Bye Amazon MP3!! There are also a bunch of options listed that say "coming soon" like the ability to change the color of the theme (I imagine it will be an RGB slider type thing).

It seems to run fast and hasn't force closed on me but there are obviously some resolution issues. Wallpapers don't fill the screen, some parts of the screen show artifacts when you move things there, etc. I think these are 2.0 compatibility issues.

Description says Droid support is coming soon but its said that for a while :( Hopefully any day now it will be updated because out of all the home replacements I've tried, I like this one best so far.

6. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Pandahome too, except for the resolution issue and once you add a custom wallpaper then there are drawing issues and everything blurs.

7. gardobus

gardobus Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I can't wait for an update because once they fix those couple issues, it looks like it will be great!

8. foolie

foolie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone want to start a new thread listing all the available Home Replacements and links? Unless if the OP can change the title of this thread

I did pick up GDE, and I'm blown away by its support...there's an 89 pg thread for it over @ XDA

9. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0

I cant change the title when I edit the OP, need Mod priv's I believe or I would have already.

Yea this definitely needs to be changed to an Home screen Replacement Thread, not just Open Home.

I'll see if I can send a mod this way.

10. foolie

foolie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Awesome, I've sent you a PM.

11. bamfsig45

bamfsig45 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    OP and Thread title updated. This thread has turned into a discussion about All Home Screen Replacement apps.

12. II-Savy

II-Savy New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Driod, grabbed the lite version of Open Home. Installed works fine. It will not give me the choice to add my already downloaded weather widget. It's simply not on the list when I hit add. I CAN add it when NOT using open home, it's available and adds fine.

Any help adding widgets while running Open Home?

Search tags for this page

android multiple workspaces

list of home replacement applications

new free home replacement apps for android