Home only or automatic?

billy4

Reaction score
Should my roaming setting be on home only or automatic? Because I know one of them sucks your battery.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

kvnhmmd

Reaction score
Should my roaming setting be on home only or automatic? Because I know one of them sucks your battery.

I set mine to home only. I live on the border of US and Canada, and don't need the roaming charges if I get a call or text when I'm not on the Verizon network.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I set mine to home only. I live on the border of US and Canada, and don't need the roaming charges if I get a call or text when I'm not on the Verizon network.
That's surprising. Does Canada even have any CDMA carriers at all?

kvnhmmd

Reaction score
That's surprising. Does Canada even have any CDMA carriers at all?

I guess they do. But it didn't say on my phone what the name of the network was. I did get a text, however, saying:

Welcome to Canada! Roaming data may be billed up to $2.05/MB per your plan. Turn-off data or use WiFi to avoid charges. VZW Support 908-559-4899.
After that, I definately turned off all roaming. The ROM I downloaded (Liquid ROM for Droid X) had data roaming enabled by default.

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
I live in wsiconsin should I be using home only as well? What really is the difference?

kvnhmmd

Reaction score
I live in wsiconsin should I be using home only as well? What really is the difference?

Depends if you are close enough to Canada to get hit with roaming charges, if any. I'm not sure if you are charged with roaming off other 3rd party USA networks or not. Something maybe you should ask Verizon.

It would make sense that changing to Home Only saves battery, because I guess it wouldn't be scanning for 3rd party networks with stronger signal.

Try turning it to home only. If you don't seem to be dropping signal, I would just keep it like that.

I never lose signal here with it set to Home Only. Just prevents it from roaming off Canadian networks.