Home Made Droid X Docking Station

xlivewire7x

Reaction score
Okay, so having an android based phone with such a nice large screen means you're going to want to have a stand for it. Maybe to use as an alarm clock, maybe to watch movies, maybe just for a digital picture frame. Well you don't have to worry about buying a fancy overpriced docking station from the store or internet when the basically give you one with the phone! Using some duct tape and an exacto knife (or a small flat head screwdriver :) ) you can turn that plain old box that your phone came in into a nice new docking station! If you want to go for a more cleaned up, sophisticated look, use some electrical tape to cover the duct tape and it looks pretty sleek. Anyway, here's the one I made!

2w3uzpw.jpg

2zgalvq.jpg

286z9l5.jpg

23st74y.jpg

Still need to throw on some more electrical tape because right now only the front is covered but it turned out nicely, the droid fits snugly in there.

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
How do you bend CD that much without breaking it? I want to make one, I can kind of figure it out by the picture,

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How do you bend CD that much without breaking it? I want to make one, I can kind of figure it out by the picture,

Probably add a little fire while doing it... that is way to funny, this thread rocks already! Haha.

BluestedSRT

Reaction score

I am the one who made the CD stand. All I used was a straight edge, an x-acto knife, and propane torch for the heat source. I don't see why a candle, heat gun or lighter couldn't achieve the same, albeit slower, result.

I'm working on a newer design, I'll post pics when I'm done.

iDr0id

Reaction score
that cd one is sweet, to hold the dx up, did he just bend the legs up?

dolph

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you either need a dock simulator app, the dock itself or a well placed magnet to initialize it. It's not like the car dock that you can just launch.

Look for 'dock simulator' in the market.
It looks like a little digital clock with red leds.

Migamix

Reaction score
blackberry case

picture sais it all
do this as an added bit, if you have an old :blackberry:blackberry case laying around
what you see is the little magnet from the case, on a folded piece of velcro, marked with M for media dock on one side, and C for car dock, and the magnet tab is currently what i call a regular user mode :motdroidvert:(not over the activating position), if i move it closer to the speaker and put it on the side i want (polarity dependant), boom , i have that docking feature.:motdroidhoriz: so, while your working on your docking cradles, you can add this little bit to your project, the magent is about 1.25cm diam, and .75mm thick, so its not really that hard to have fun with it. my docking option cost me....nothing...had a piece of velcro sitting in front of me, and what was left of the case from my :blackberry: BB
dancedroid