Home/Launcher question

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by metasin, May 29, 2010.

1. metasin

metasin New Member

Sort of a theoretical question: Does it make a difference (speed, memory) if you use a launcher from the market (Helix, etc.) vs. the launcher in system?

If so:
    Is it safe to remove the launchers that are not used?

And

Can you add a market launcher to the system? For example would there be any benefit to adding Helix to the system and removing the other non-used home/launcher apps?
  2. Zac7

Zac7 New Member

This is what I did. I am running Ultimate droid "new era" and I only use helix, but have recently been trying launcherpro, I deleted "home". I dont know if there is a big difference as far as performance goes cause I never compared.
  3. Zac7

Zac7 New Member

I put helix and launcher pro in /system/apps because I wanted to use a theme.
  4. metasin

metasin New Member

I was wondering if those "extra" launchers are active even though not being used. In other words do they take up unnecessary memory? I imagine it must not be significant either way but if I am never going to use them should I just remove them?

I am using BB 1.1 and since I use Helix1 exclusively is there a benefit to removing/renaming the other two that are in the system?
  5. kook

kook Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

It really depends on your droid. Some people report major lag problems with helix2 while mine never had this issue. Test it out and see if it works for you. You can always revert to a previous backup.
  6. metasin

metasin New Member

I went ahead and renamed the two launchers to .bak. Now the phone runs 1000% faster!! Not really, I have not noticed a difference, other than appeasing my OCD.
Search tags for this page

does mx home launcher work with 4.2