Home++, How do you feel?

Milk With Pulp

Reaction score
I removed Home ++ due to the phone is still new right now and has many developers and soon enough there will be one I like that just works 100%. Due to the new droid firmware, the new 2.1 should be out soon, until then I will wait till 2.1 root the phone busybox and chmod it then figure out the basic commands to modify. Home ++ worked for a while until the Forse Closes happened, it is great for some and for others it was something to test out.

tdjt

Reaction score
I think I've only once had FC on Home++. Been using it for a month or so. I like the power strip because it replaces icons that would otherwise take screen space.

What do you guys use 7 screens for? I tried 4, 5, 6, but I still like 3. Moving over two screens just seems seem so far away. I'm always looking for better ways to organize my desktop, so please share your best practices.

techguru

Reaction score
I think I've only once had FC on Home++. Been using it for a month or so. I like the power strip because it replaces icons that would otherwise take screen space.

What do you guys use 7 screens for? I tried 4, 5, 6, but I still like 3. Moving over two screens just seems seem so far away. I'm always looking for better ways to organize my desktop, so please share your best practices.

I find 3 screens a bit too restrictive. I like having 5 but could probably be happy with 4.

My leftmost screen is for stuff I hardly ever use, but don't want to go searching through the app menu to find. Things like taskkiller widget, foxyring widget (silences the phone for a preset time) and the vibrate during meetings widget that needs to be on a home screen to work, but never needs to be touched. A few other tools.

Next over is music players, Shazam, and a couple of destination links. This is my main screen when in the car once I turn off the useless Nav Home.

Middle screen is my main one, with apps I use most often. WeatherBug Elite widget at the top of the screen, than browser, voice recorder widget, 3banana notes shortcut to start a new note, calendar, gmail, camera (I have my camera button remapped to another app) Google Voice, Livelist (a todo list app) and Google Maps. Also have a folder of shopping apps including Our Groceries, the Barcode scanner, Market, Shop Savvy, Google Goggles, Calculator, and a tip calculator (I guess they could all have been a sixth screen instead).

Next screen to the right is primarily work related stuff. LAIK calendar widget, Timecatcher (for capturing billable hours as I am currently unemployed but doing some consulting), Keepass, a folder of travel related things (car locator, bus and train maps and schedules, find starbucks, translator apps, etc..) and then I also have some time related things. Gentle alarm, Sleep Now, Tea Timer.

Because I had room, I also have the MotoTorch widget and the news widget ripped from 2.1, although they don't really fit the theme of this page.

Last page is fun stuff. Twitroid widget, LolCat widget, link to facebook, and folders with other entertaining stuff and games.

I am not sure what I would want to give up to go back to just three pages. I also really like the powerbar in Home++ or the phone and contacts links in GDE. Without them, I would need additional phoen and contacts links on at least my main page, and would probably put them on every page, taking up more screen space.

Alan

OP
roberj13

roberj13

Reaction score
Well, I am trying out Panda Home now. Hmm, this one has some interesting features too. The side dock is great! Seems maybe slightly more laggy than Home++. Hmm, now that I think about it, I wonder if there is any correllation between the number of screens people use and experiences with FC's. I was using 7 and 5 Screens, never tried 4. Maybe that would have helped a little bit. The extra screens are nice since my Weather Widgets flip clock takes up half the usable portion of the screen. I could almost live with three with the side docks on Panda, we will try this out for a few days until the "expected" 2.1 release date.

drkpablo

Reaction score
Im running it and loving it... at times I do get a lot of FC, but it runs great (Especially since OC).

fgw

Reaction score
Removed It

I installed Home++ and loved it but after my Droid started running as slow as the Storm 1 I had gotten rid of, I removed it. If they come out with a fix, I will go back to it but I am just using the stock home screen for now. Home++ lagged and caused forced close too many times and, like I said, I spent a year of that with the Storm so didn't want to go through that when the Droid is such a great phone.

CronoDL

Reaction score
I really like the power strip on the bottom and the extra screens, as well as its integrated task killer. However, like many people here, it gave me a lot of problems with lag, force closing, and freezing. I got rid of it.

MK-9

Reaction score
I really like the layout and options on Home++ as well. I went from 7 screens and trimmed it down to 5. Definitely cuts down on the lag. Still a bit laggy, but nowhere near as bad as it was with 7 screens. I still get a few FC's as well, but seems those are also minimized with using less screens.

Lars1

Reaction score
Today I killed it!

I've been running it for quite a while but I just can't deal with the force closes anymore! Plus it's quite laggy.

I will miss the hidden notification bar and the shortcuts @ the bottom. I am heading back to GDE.

gentlefury

Reaction score
Home ++ is THE best hom replacement there is....I've tried them all, and none can compare. To anyone that is saying it's slow or unstable, try not task killing for a day (this really causes all around instability...let it do what it does!) I went from 2 or 3 FC warnings (ooo big deal it takes 3 seconds to recover) to maybe one a week if that. I thought task killers would make my phone faster....it actually makes it run like crap!

It is the fastest smoothest home replacement out there, and the powerbar is irreplaceable! Just wish I could disable the useless screen switcher.

RadYOacTiVe

Reaction score
I uninstalled it a couple of weeks ago. I couldnt take the lag and FC's. I will wait for 2.1 and the 5 home screens, it's all i really need, 3 isnt cutting it!