1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Home++, How do you feel?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by roberj13, Jan 19, 2010.

1. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

I am a new Motorola Droid user as of about 5 days ago, before I got my phone I think I spent half of my day on here silently reading up on everything Droid. As a result I have probably tinkered with my Droid more than anyone I know that has one.

Currently I have Home++ running, and I LOVE the way it is setup. I like the extra screens. The power strip is awesome and makes the whole phone make more sense, with the notification button on the bottom where my short stubby thumb can reach it, and the browser and contact button part of the power strip so I don't need an icon on my home screen for it.

Problem is, since I have installed it, once a day the phone has locked up, no screen turning on, no nothing which forces me to remove the battery to turn it back on. It generally happens when the phone is sleeping and I get a text. Like I said, once a day or so, not everytime I get a text.

So my question is, does anyone else have this problem, if so how do you cope..lol

I really love this app, but I don't know 100% if the trade off is worth it. Good news is hopefully I will like 2.1 enough to not need Home++. It will at least give me more screens.
  2. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

I loved Home++, but ended up removing it due to lagging and force closes. I loved the 7 screens and everything else about it, except it's performance.

I then started using the Launcher from 2.1 and it's pretty darn great too. But after 2-3 weeks, it started getting a little laggy too. I'm back to the stock home and it's smooth and quick. I'll just wait for 2.1.
  3. jcardona1

jcardona1 New Member

i like Home ++ at first but i soon ended up hating it. it's such a bad app, lots of lag, FCs all the time. i finally got fed up and removed it. i cant even remember what it was like ;)
  4. DAGr8

DAGr8 New Member

GDE > *

try ot you ll see
  5. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

I have Home++ with 4 screens and am happy with it. There have been some FCs, but they are rare. I tried GDE for a long time, but I hate the way it hangs with Beautiful Widgets. We'll have to see if I stay with Home++ after 2.1, but it does have that Power Strip.
  6. amyk

amyk New Member

I love having the extra screens---mod them every day lol, but hate the FCs all the time---I guess I'll just deal with it 'til 2.1 and then won't have to worry about it
  7. techguru

techguru Member

I used GDE and mostly liked it, but it force closed every time I removed my phone from the media or car dock. Home++ is good, but it does seem to slow down as the day progresses. Not many force closes, but it seems to restart on its own sometimes (repaints the screen really slow then starts working well again).

Looking forward to the official 2.1 release so I can go back to stock and still have 5 screens.

Thinking about going back to stock and just using folders to organize instead of screens.

Alan
  8. DAGr8

DAGr8 New Member

i am using gde and beautiful widgets no issues here ,,,, the main thing about gde is the app dock , and that cube ...
  9. cj1896

cj1896 New Member

I have been using Home++ for a while now. I tried sweeterhome but it was way too work intensive to get it to look good, Home++ is good and I like the interface. Granted, it force closes from time to time (I would say 3-5 times a day) but does that really affect me using the phone...not really. Once 2.1 comes out I will probably give it a shot but man I really like the powerstrip.
  10. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

This mirrors my experience exactly... I used it for almost a week and LOVED it. Couldn't understand people problems... then for no reason it became VERY unstable, constant FCs, serious lag... Removed it and phone went back to being FAST!!! I'm using Launcher 2.1 now and it's not bad. I'm just waiting for 2.1 OTA until I decide one way or another.
  11. misteruplink

misteruplink New Member

Home++

I have been using home++ for over six weeks and almost never have any FC's.
    Switched to launcher 2.1 last week and it's very keewl. It seems everyones phone reacts differently...
  12. FSTTYMS

FSTTYMS New Member

I have been using Home++ for a while... Mine mostly FC's when I use the built in app killer.
  13. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Went back to stock screens after my phone sat in a half blurred state then the screen went black. Had to take out the battery again because I couldn't get it to respond to anything. Does it affect me using the phone? Not most times, but as I mentioned it happens alot when someone texts me when the phone is asleep for some reason. I forgot how fast this phone is until I uninstalled it. Mind you I have only had the phone for less than a week still.

I may try GDE just to check it out since a number of people have made comments about it. I got spoiled with the extra screens, 3 is so....constricting. Guess I need to be more organized.

BTW, if anyone can answer this question. When I uninstalled Home++ it said Uninstall unsuccessful, but it seems like everything is gone. Could there been a file in use or something that the phone couldn't uninstall at the time? It's not in the list to try to uninstall again anyhow, so I don't really know what I am worried about. Just don't want to use memory for something I don't use..
  14. Aaron636r

Aaron636r New Member

Running Home++ and love it. FC's once in a while but worth it for me.
  15. bossrogue

bossrogue New Member

I tried Home++ and hated it. I got GDE and I love it. Loving the cube!
  16. Milk With Pulp

Milk With Pulp New Member

I removed Home ++ due to the phone is still new right now and has many developers and soon enough there will be one I like that just works 100%. Due to the new droid firmware, the new 2.1 should be out soon, until then I will wait till 2.1 root the phone busybox and chmod it then figure out the basic commands to modify. Home ++ worked for a while until the Forse Closes happened, it is great for some and for others it was something to test out.
  17. tdjt

tdjt New Member

I think I've only once had FC on Home++. Been using it for a month or so. I like the power strip because it replaces icons that would otherwise take screen space.

What do you guys use 7 screens for? I tried 4, 5, 6, but I still like 3. Moving over two screens just seems seem so far away. I'm always looking for better ways to organize my desktop, so please share your best practices.
  18. techguru

techguru Member

I find 3 screens a bit too restrictive. I like having 5 but could probably be happy with 4.

My leftmost screen is for stuff I hardly ever use, but don't want to go searching through the app menu to find. Things like taskkiller widget, foxyring widget (silences the phone for a preset time) and the vibrate during meetings widget that needs to be on a home screen to work, but never needs to be touched. A few other tools.

Next over is music players, Shazam, and a couple of destination links. This is my main screen when in the car once I turn off the useless Nav Home.

Middle screen is my main one, with apps I use most often. WeatherBug Elite widget at the top of the screen, than browser, voice recorder widget, 3banana notes shortcut to start a new note, calendar, gmail, camera (I have my camera button remapped to another app) Google Voice, Livelist (a todo list app) and Google Maps. Also have a folder of shopping apps including Our Groceries, the Barcode scanner, Market, Shop Savvy, Google Goggles, Calculator, and a tip calculator (I guess they could all have been a sixth screen instead).

Next screen to the right is primarily work related stuff. LAIK calendar widget, Timecatcher (for capturing billable hours as I am currently unemployed but doing some consulting), Keepass, a folder of travel related things (car locator, bus and train maps and schedules, find starbucks, translator apps, etc..) and then I also have some time related things. Gentle alarm, Sleep Now, Tea Timer.

Because I had room, I also have the MotoTorch widget and the news widget ripped from 2.1, although they don't really fit the theme of this page.

Last page is fun stuff. Twitroid widget, LolCat widget, link to facebook, and folders with other entertaining stuff and games.

I am not sure what I would want to give up to go back to just three pages. I also really like the powerbar in Home++ or the phone and contacts links in GDE. Without them, I would need additional phoen and contacts links on at least my main page, and would probably put them on every page, taking up more screen space.

Alan
  19. roberj13

roberj13 New Member

Well, I am trying out Panda Home now. Hmm, this one has some interesting features too. The side dock is great! Seems maybe slightly more laggy than Home++. Hmm, now that I think about it, I wonder if there is any correllation between the number of screens people use and experiences with FC's. I was using 7 and 5 Screens, never tried 4. Maybe that would have helped a little bit. The extra screens are nice since my Weather Widgets flip clock takes up half the usable portion of the screen. I could almost live with three with the side docks on Panda, we will try this out for a few days until the "expected" 2.1 release date.
  20. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member