'Holy Grail' of Material is Carbyne: 40 Times Stronger Than Diamond

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
carbyne-worlds-strongest-material.jpg

Here's a fun off topic bit of tech news to start off your weekend!

Science has created the "Holy Grail" of materials. Graphene has been catching all of the news hype over the past few years, and deservedly so. Despite that, it is not the ultimate man-made substance that humans are capable of making. That honor now belongs to a formerly theoretical substance called Carbyne, which is now the strongest substance known to man.

To put it in perspective, Carbyne has double the tensile strength of Graphene which is 20 times stronger than diamond. Doing "the maths stuff" tells us that Carbyne is 40 times stronger than diamond! Carbyne is also quite versatile beyond it's incredible strength to weight ratio, as it is very electrically conductive as well.

Despite it's impressive qualities and credentials, it will still be some time before this tech can actually be utilized in anything. In fact, it required sheets of Graphene (which is still not market viable either) to be used as a protective tube in order to even craft a Carbyne strip only 6,400 atoms long!

Either way, it's cool to see that the stuff of Science Fiction is in the near future. What do you folks think?

Source: Carbyne: Scientists create 'holy grail' strongest material in the world that's tougher than graphene

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I said this to him privately but feel the need to say it publicly. Applauds go to @dgstorm for posting tidbits like this. I know we're an Android forum but to read stuff on here that is a little different is nice. Especially the stuff that is tech oriented that is not the same stuff being reported on other Android tech sites for the day. Definitely have to keep up with the popular stuff but stuff like this and the other nuggets DG digs up is deserving of a 2 thumbs up.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It's kind of funny reading the article, and then looking at the picture handling it with gloves and tweasers like a super fragile work of art.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It's kind of funny reading the article, and then looking at the picture handling it with gloves and tweasers like a super fragile work of art.
Yes, except that the "material" they're holding isn't Carbyne. The largest quantity of Carbyne they've been able to produce so far is some 6,400 carbon atoms long, to small for the human eye to see. What you're seeing is likely a representation of what the material might look like once it's reached mass production state.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
dgstorm

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
@pc747 - Thanks brother! The appreciation is always appreciated!
@FoxKat - Yup. Nailed it. I think the picture is actually of Graphene manufacturing. I figured since they needed to roll tubes of Graphene to create the Carbyne, it would be the closest cool thing to show. ;)