Holy cow! Those baseband updates are tempermental!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by sc4fpse, Jun 26, 2010.

1. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After finally returning to the good old United States from a study abroad trip the other week, I went and loaded a 2.2 rom onto my Droid. Last night I figured I should probably update the baseband to one of the leaked ones as well.

Upgraded to the first one, which was required for the second one. Tested the connection speeds, and they seemed slower than before. Not good. So I upgraded to the latest one. It effectively killed my mobile connection. With the last baseband, I would go from 1 bar of 3G to 2 bars in my house. Never saw 3 bars around here. No big deal, really. I don't live here for most of the year, so I can tolerate low signal strength. But this last update was giving me almost no 3G signal period! Didn't test any calls, but wtf...

So, I went and downgraded to the first update. And man, it sure is tempermental. Sitting on my bed and holding my phone, I'm seeing 3 bars of 3G for the first time ever here. But when I move the phone one foot to the right, and place it down on the dresser next to my bed, BOOM. 0 bars, fluctuating to 1. I've had absolutely no problem getting a decent signal there before... in fact I like to stream di.fm before going to bed sometimes. So why the heck don't I have signal there? And now my signal strength literally *1 foot* away is 3 bars? Crazy.

Did a speed test on the two locations using the same test server. 219 kbps download, 260 kbps upload sitting on my dresser. Lower than with the last baseband... Some upgrade. But then when I hold it over my bed, literally one foot away: 800 kbps+, higher than I've seen before here (usually average 600 using this server).

It's nice that I've got a little more signal strength over my bed (although looking at it now, I'm seeing it fluctuate between one and three constantly... urg.), but... how strangely tempermental this baseband update is. :|

/thoughts

2. alm0614

alm0614 Active Member

Ratings:
    +5
    subscribing..i have the latest baseband and it seems to jump around a lot too

3. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    It's my personal opinion that baseband updates are placebo. I don't think they do a lot of harm, I just don't think they make much difference.

4. thatguychuck

thatguychuck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think the "lip" at the bottom of the phone is mostly antennas. Changing the position of the phone probably has more to do with it than changing base band. There was a thread once about signal strength and the positioning of your hand on the phone, but I'm too lazy to search for it right now.

Edit: Ok, so I lied. I couldn't find the thread from DF, but I did come across an interesting iphone story. To quote from it:

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone,"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2365658,00.asp

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  5. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've previously commented that the last two leaked baseband updates made my reception worse.

I went back to C_01.3E.0eP baseband, and my reception is fine.

E

6. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any chance you might have a download link available? Or were you forced to restore a backup?

7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
  8. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hookbill has kindly posted links.

I'm just adding that a backup (nandroid backup anyway) does ***NOT*** include the baseband.

The baseband is "the firmware that runs on the radio portion of the phone" and to limit it further "the CDMA radio" on the Motorola Droid. It's job is to make sure it communicates with VZW. It is flashed, but it is never backed up nor restored as part of a nandroid backup.

E

9. ashkev843

ashkev843 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is in rom manager under the cyanmod tab

10. jlaidlaw

jlaidlaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah which kind of sucks because you can't restore back to the backup that was running perfectly. I think there should be an option implemented into CWmod to backup the baseband also.

11. sc4fpse

sc4fpse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, wow. I knew what the baseband was, but did not know that it was not included in a nandroid backup. Yikes.

I took a look at the linked thread (thanks, hookbill!), but didn't see the exact baseband that you had listed. Tried the one listed as the older baseband, but the jury is still out as to whether or not it helped. I want to say that it has, but speedwise it's still iffy.

Guess time will tell. :) Thanks!

12. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    All the baseband updates I have are at
    Index of /droid/baseband

Download. Pick one. Rename to /sdcard/update.zip. Use SPR or CWR to install.

E