Hmmm....BB 2.1 not working correctly, or problem with JIT?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    A lot of my apps (most actually) are not coming on with BB v7. Touiteur, Homerun Battle, Root Explorer to name a few. The screen sort of goes black (with the title bar intact) and it pretty much locks up the phone.

Can I disable JIT via the terminal to see if that's the problem? I'd like to figure out if this is a problem using Titanium Backup with 2.1 coming from 2.0.1 or if this is an issue with the ROM itself.
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Ok I uninstalled Homerun battle and reinstalled and it still doesnt work, leading me to believe this is something with JIT/the ROM/something I did rather than Titanium Backup.
  3. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

setCPU hiccupped on me when I started it the first time. I waited it out, and it is running fine right now. I didnt enable JIT, unless it is on by default.
  4. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Ok, I redid everything but then installed Chevys 10 slot kernel. As soon as I install that kernel and reboot, the problems begin.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  5. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

Which kernel? I'm running the 1.1Ghz. I only overclock to 1Ghz, so the 1.25Ghz didnt interest me.
  6. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Well I know for sure that is what is causing the issue on my phone.

- Wiped phone...no problems
    - Installed BB .7 via Nandroid...no problems
    - Used Titanium Backup to restore everything....no problems
    - Used the patch to go to Smoked Glass...no problems
    - Use update.zip for Chevys 10 slot 1.2GHz kernel...reboot...everything is ****ed up. So either the kernel doesn't like something on my phone, or who knows what else.
  7. mootsucks

mootsucks New Member

Or it could be your backup conflicting with the kernel. Do the same, but install the apps from the marketplace without using your backup program. I have done exactly what you have done without the backup and everything (including the apps you listed) work perfectly!
  8. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I did that, it changed nothing.
  9. ilikefishes

ilikefishes New Member

I seem to be having the same problems that Matth3w is having. I can get everything but the kernel to install properly. It has to be something with that 1.1 kernel. I am waiting out another attempt and will let you know the results.
  10. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I eventually rebooted about 10 times and it worked.
  11. ilikefishes

ilikefishes New Member

How long was it held up in the "eye" mode when it actually worked? Thanks,
  12. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

3-5 minutes.

I might actually switch back to the 2.0.1 rom. I'm still getting a TON of force closes.
  13. toddegreene

toddegreene Member

I had to reboot 3 times after installing bb2.1, same problems Matth3w was describing. Since then it's been flawless. I installed JIT from p3droid and his update.zip method.
  14. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Try a kernel from AdamZ (from his Smoked 2.1). These phones apparently are very sensitive and several people (myself included) can only run certain kernels. I've yet to have luck with Chevy's kernels but AdamZ have been great on my phone but I've seen others with the opposite experience as well. Also as you've indirectly hinted at kernel development is still a bit young with the new 2.1 ROMs so kernel/phone/ROM conflicts have been more common. Also the devs are trying so new things and getting... interesting results.

Also JIIT seems to be the same, some people use it with great results while others see negative results.
  15. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

I will try this for awhile but honestly it seems like it just takes awhile for the phone to get stable enough to use. A couple of reboots and it starts to work better.
  16. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

It seems I've read of so many people having problems after using Titanium to restore their apps and settings after going to any of the 2.1 (ERE25 or ESE53) roms. I downloaded and reinstalled all apps from the market and have virtually no problems.

Now, there are some kernels that I can not run and there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. But I can run Chevy's 1.1 (5 or 10 slot) and I can run Chevy's 1.2 (5 or 10 slot). I can not run his 1.0 or his 1.25 regardless of slot count. And I don't mean that I can't run them at max, I can't run them at almost any clock speed. The exception is the 1.25 which I can run at 1.25, but not at 550 or 800.

Anyway, look first at the possible "contamination" of the 2.1 with old 2.01 data.

And that's my opinion - firmly held and I will defend it to . . . . well, until I change my mind!! :)
  17. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Haha...the thing is, I had force closes before I even installed any apps...just mounting the phone.

And as a test I tried to download Homerun Battle 3d, Touiteur, and Action Complete (the programs I was having problems with after using TB) from the Market instead of using Titanium Backup, and it had the same exact issue. When I tried to run it, the screen would go black (like it usually does) but then it would be like 5 minutes...nothing...and then it would pop up and say that Action Complete force closed...another minute...Touiteur forced closed, etc etc.

After doing nothing else though...rebooting several times...it seems to be working with little issue. >.<

Then after maybe 20 minutes I was trying to change an icon using Bettercut and when I went into the Gallery I got a Gallery force close.
  18. czerdrill

czerdrill New Member

I used titanium and I'm wondering if that's what the issue was for me as well, but I went back to 2.0.1 till I decide to devote some time to try it again. Seemed like there were a bunch of issues, and after rebooting got stuck in a loop so just gave up on it.
  19. biggestmexi

biggestmexi New Member

mine was like that too but then it hit back and home enough it asked to FC.
    i did that and the things worked fine again.

but this was for all the apps that needed SU
  20. Balthazar

Balthazar New Member

JIT drove my blood pressure through the roof yesterday. FC after FC, random reboots, and a battery hot enough to make coco on. After going back to a pre-JIT nandroid backup of BB .6 with chevy's 1ghz five slot kernel I haven't had a single problem. I used Pete's update.zip file, but it was such aPITA I have no desire to try the other update.zip file I've seen posted.
Search tags for this page

hmmmbb