Hmmm....BB 2.1 not working correctly, or problem with JIT?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of my apps (most actually) are not coming on with BB v7. Touiteur, Homerun Battle, Root Explorer to name a few. The screen sort of goes black (with the title bar intact) and it pretty much locks up the phone.

Can I disable JIT via the terminal to see if that's the problem? I'd like to figure out if this is a problem using Titanium Backup with 2.1 coming from 2.0.1 or if this is an issue with the ROM itself.

2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I uninstalled Homerun battle and reinstalled and it still doesnt work, leading me to believe this is something with JIT/the ROM/something I did rather than Titanium Backup.

3. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    setCPU hiccupped on me when I started it the first time. I waited it out, and it is running fine right now. I didnt enable JIT, unless it is on by default.

4. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I redid everything but then installed Chevys 10 slot kernel. As soon as I install that kernel and reboot, the problems begin.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2010
  5. Bob Dammit

Bob Dammit DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +17
    Which kernel? I'm running the 1.1Ghz. I only overclock to 1Ghz, so the 1.25Ghz didnt interest me.

6. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I know for sure that is what is causing the issue on my phone.

- Wiped phone...no problems
    - Installed BB .7 via Nandroid...no problems
    - Used Titanium Backup to restore everything....no problems
    - Used the patch to go to Smoked Glass...no problems
    - Use update.zip for Chevys 10 slot 1.2GHz kernel...reboot...everything is ****ed up. So either the kernel doesn't like something on my phone, or who knows what else.

7. mootsucks

mootsucks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Or it could be your backup conflicting with the kernel. Do the same, but install the apps from the marketplace without using your backup program. I have done exactly what you have done without the backup and everything (including the apps you listed) work perfectly!

8. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I did that, it changed nothing.

9. ilikefishes

ilikefishes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to be having the same problems that Matth3w is having. I can get everything but the kernel to install properly. It has to be something with that 1.1 kernel. I am waiting out another attempt and will let you know the results.

10. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I eventually rebooted about 10 times and it worked.

11. ilikefishes

ilikefishes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How long was it held up in the "eye" mode when it actually worked? Thanks,

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    3-5 minutes.

I might actually switch back to the 2.0.1 rom. I'm still getting a TON of force closes.

13. toddegreene

toddegreene Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had to reboot 3 times after installing bb2.1, same problems Matth3w was describing. Since then it's been flawless. I installed JIT from p3droid and his update.zip method.

14. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Try a kernel from AdamZ (from his Smoked 2.1). These phones apparently are very sensitive and several people (myself included) can only run certain kernels. I've yet to have luck with Chevy's kernels but AdamZ have been great on my phone but I've seen others with the opposite experience as well. Also as you've indirectly hinted at kernel development is still a bit young with the new 2.1 ROMs so kernel/phone/ROM conflicts have been more common. Also the devs are trying so new things and getting... interesting results.

Also JIIT seems to be the same, some people use it with great results while others see negative results.

15. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I will try this for awhile but honestly it seems like it just takes awhile for the phone to get stable enough to use. A couple of reboots and it starts to work better.

Search tags for this page

hmmmbb