History of Rooting?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by currensy, Mar 9, 2011.

1. currensy

currensy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone have a link on how the first android was rooted and who could ever think of something like this? Why would a company put out a phone that they don't want to be rooted? What's the process that hackers go through to break a lock or code to make a device rooted? Do they take the phone apart or the company really want us to hack their phone and use gimmicks that if you rooted it, you could lose your warranty?

I think that it would be pretty interested if someone could give me this info.

2. X_TAC23

X_TAC23 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +10
    Rooting is all code. Since android os is similar to a pc superuser permission (administrative access) is able to obtain. Now when you get into encrypted bootloaders that's when it gets tricky. I am learning code but its still new to me right now. As for the first rooted device im not sure. And no they don't take apart the phone.

3. currensy

currensy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So the hackers are probably majors in computer engineering at some school instead of a guy that collect phones right...

4. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Have you ever seen lawnmower man? It's just like that.

5. X_TAC23

X_TAC23 Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +10
    I wouldn't say that. They are just really smart.

6. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol this is a trip. it's not like lawnmower man, and it's not as if all hackers are supergeniuses either... it's just like anything else, practice makes perfect. or in the case of a "h4x0r" ... pr4(71(3 m4|{3$ p3rƒ3(7 ... lol

you learn to look for certain vulnerabilities and ways to exploit them. and thats just practice and being able to read and understand code. to my knowledge, the first root exploit for the Droid was the "rageagainstthecage" exploit that was due to a vulnerability created by toggling bluetooth on and off if that further answers your question.

to learn a little more about hacking, just google "hack this site". it's not android hacking, but you can learn a lot there. contrary to popular belief, hacking in and of itself is not necessarily illegal. a lot of crummy people give it a bad name. it's simply using code in a way that is was not originally intended. thats all. can be good, bad, neither or both.

edit: and yeah the whole bootloader thing, as x_tac mentioned is more or less a more advanced version of brute-forcing the crap out of it to try to find a key... usually to no avail if it's the manufacturer's true intention for it to remain uncracked.

#6 adsfa34, Mar 16, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  7. kptphalkon

kptphalkon Active Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Root as a term is derived from having super user or 'root' access on linux based OSs, root being the lowest level of file access

See / for more info...

But yes hackthissite.org is a very awesome place :)

/edit/ Yeah trying to brute force a heavily encrypted key (say 256 bit, which doesnt sound like much but just try it man) is basically a futile thing. Just for example, it would take a top of the line home desktop more than 22,000 years to brute force a secure password such as this: a5X:bd.7l11"& /edit/

8. adsfa34

adsfa34 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ...and somehow I still see all these n00bs asking "has the X bootloader been cracked yet???" lol all bc they have no clue how insanely good Moto is at encryption technology.

Sent from Sourcery

9. HarvesterX™

HarvesterX™ Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Just curious...was rageagainstthecage the first exploit? Back in early summer of last year when I bought and rooted my first android phone I don't remember it having anything to do with Bluetooth, but then again I don't remember much at all about period about which method I initially rooted with. I just remember it being a log more involved then simply clicking a "root" button inside an application :), and hence why I'm asking.

Search tags for this page
android rooting history
android root history
android rooting hidtory
android rooting history
background story of rooting android device

history of android rooting

history of rooting

history of rooting an android
history of rooting android
rooting history