Hint in the infamous 'no data issue'?

Discussion in 'Samsung Droid Charge' started by Vidguy7, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

The pattern I've noticed, is that when I get the dreaded 'no data connectivity' box popping up, my signal strength can be strong but yet I show no signal type by the signal bars (3G, 4G, 1X). Until a signal type shows up, I can never get data regardless of how many bars I've got. This pattern seems to repeat every time I can't get data. This seems to happen in either solid 3G areas or mixed 3G $ 4G areas.

Anyone else notice this?
  2. Down2Earth

Down2Earth New Member

I just got my Charge on the 27th and so far my phone almost knows when I need 3G
    and when I need 4G and seems to switch with telepathy! Where I live: I get 3 bars.

If I travel out I get full bars. The only issue I've had is when I've switched (forced)
    4G when I was in 3G and noticed only bars: hence a crap connection like the once you've experienced. I feel it has to be the network.
  3. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

"forced 4g", with an app?
    there really would be no need to force it, 4g is default, and if its working correctly it should never switch to 3g while in a 4g area unless you put the phone in "cdma only" mode.
  4. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

The only problem with your theory is that often when this happens, I'm in a solid 3G area that has no 4G at all. Just today I had it happen in Suffolk County on L.I. Absolutely no 4G in the area and I got a full set of bars with a signal strength of about -79db (not bad at all), but again I had no indication of 3G or 1X and I also had 'no data connectivity' for several minutes.

You also mentioned a 'forced 4G'. You can't do that with a Charge, so I'm not sure what you were doing.
  5. spdivr1122

spdivr1122 New Member

Do you have the phone in cdma only mode? Im in an area with no 4g and have it in cdma mode, but the no data thing only lasts a few seconds to rarely a minute. Its really not tthe end of the world for me

Sent from my droid charge
  6. Vidguy7

Vidguy7 New Member

For many of us it can last a lot longer than that. Additionally, it's one thing to live in a 3G only area where you can comfortably leave it in 3G all the time, but it's an entirely different thing to live in a mixed 3G/4G area which would mean you'd have to switch constantly between 3G & 4G with the settings. That's an absurd thing to ask a user to do just to 'minimize' the screw ups of Verizon's system & equipment.

When you live in a mixed area, you can be constantly traveling from 3G to 4G within a few blocks and back again. You have to be in these areas to appreciate what I'm saying.
  7. spdivr1122

spdivr1122 New Member

The area I live in is like that but I only lose data for about a minute or so. Sometimes its longer but iI just reset the phone quick or turn off data or put in airplane mode. I don't see it as a big deal really for me at least. But I have to agree Verizon needs to fix it

Sent from my droid charge
  8. Down2Earth

Down2Earth New Member

Correction I meant force 3G, not 4G.

Of course you *shouldn't* have to hold your phone in a certain way or toggle
    settings just to get it to work but with software and possibly different hardware
    (tolerances) you might have different issues spanning different areas no matter
    the coverage.

I noticed when I toggled airplane mode I had to wait almost a minute for it
    to see Verizon's network, whether 3 or 4G.

In the end we all wanted a brand new untested network that will have issues
    because it's being tested as we speak. You can almost tell when they're messing with things
    especially when download speeds are varying even when you've got full bars in a 4G coverage area.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  9. bweN diorD

bweN diorD Well-Known Member

you guys assume the bars are for data, how do you know?. i doubt there is 3g on every tower, even less for 4g. so lets say you have 5 bars on phone signal but there is no 3-4g on that tower, but you have 3-4g from another tower a little farther away with lower signal, which value does it display?
    its my opinion the bars are an indication of phone signal, data signal strength can be seen in settings. with more than one radio, i dont see how one meter can represent them all, i could be wrong.
  10. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

As far as I know, the 3G/1x/phone are one in the same, and are on every tower on VZW's network. That is what the bars represent. However, the 4G is a totally different beast, including using a different frequency. The bars do not represent a 4G signal in any way, shape or form. At my house, I have a decent 3G signal, and the bars represent that. However, the 4G is weaker and sometimes intermittent, and bars do not show that (as expected). In addition, on the charge, the "Signal strength" listed in the phone status seems to represent the 3G/1x/phone signal, not 4G.
  11. Frankenpc

Frankenpc New Member

2 things:rogue apps crashing androids telcom ability. And 'palming' the phone. If I hold the phone in thw palm of my hand 4g slows then cuts off. if I grab it by the bottom sides I get pretty consistent signal

3hree things. I want an effing cursor to controll text selection! Addendum...yeah! A bluetooth mouse works!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  12. BeefJerky

BeefJerky New Member

I do not have either of these problems with my Charge. I did, however, have the "palming" problem with my Thunderbolt.