High data usage

Reaction score
Since netflix came to the Thunderbolt I have been watching it like crazy. 15 days into my cycle and I have used 4 gigs of data. Excessive? I have unlimited data. Any similar stories?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be an issue. I have used over 9 gigs before just watching Netflix.

CM74DX

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
most I've used was around 5GB , currently sitting on 3GB with 4 days left on this cycle

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Since netflix came to the Thunderbolt I have been watching it like crazy. 15 days into my cycle and I have used 4 gigs of data. Excessive? I have unlimited data. Any similar stories?

More than average probably. But it really doesn't matter since you have an unlimited plan.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
see this is exactly what's wrong with tiered data plans. They introduce LTE which is nice and all but it eats data like crazy. Yes some of us were grandfathers into the unlimited plans but for all the people who go under new contracts, they are going to be super ticked at how easy it is to chew through 2 gigs of data using LTE.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
see this is exactly what's wrong with tiered data plans. They introduce LTE which is nice and all but it eats data like crazy. Yes some of us were grandfathers into the unlimited plans but for all the people who go under new contracts, they are going to be super ticked at how easy it is to chew through 2 gigs of data using LTE.

Its super easy on 3G... I couldn't imagine LTE... I used close to 300 MB today alone.

2 gigs is nothing.

CM74DX

googlelover

Reaction score
For all of you wondering if your tiny 2-4 gb's of usage is excessive, I've seen someone who used 127 gb's in one month. Nuff said right there. To be in the top 5% you gotta use a lot more data then that (Op's post). I'm guessing quite a few people on this forum average 8-10 gb's a month, and many that aren't on this forum. Should be fine if your below 10 gb's.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Reaction score

No unlimited and not being grandfathered is the reason Ive decided to go with sprint and their slow/fake 4G and miss out on Verizons super fast network and the freaking orgasmic HTC Vigor early October. Burns me up to no freaking end that VZ ended their UL plans 3 months before Im set to switch. They have the best network by far, fantastic phones, but the cost would be ridiculous as I would use 8 or so gigs per month, its just not going to work.

OP
L
Reaction score
For all of you wondering if your tiny 2-4 gb's of usage is excessive, I've seen someone who used 127 gb's in one month. Nuff said right there. To be in the top 5% you gotta use a lot more data then that (Op's post). I'm guessing quite a few people on this forum average 8-10 gb's a month, and many that aren't on this forum. Should be fine if your below 10 gb's.

That was one thing I was worried about, being in the top 5%. In case verizon wanted to do as at&t and "throttle" the heaviest users. Guess I didn't realize my usage wasn't as heavy as I thought.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

That was one thing I was worried about, being in the top 5%. In case verizon wanted to do as at&t and "throttle" the heaviest users. Guess I didn't realize my usage wasn't as heavy as I thought.

yeah some people use an unexplainable amount of data. To be in the top 5% I would guess you would have to use well over 50-100 gb's a month. That is a complete guess, I have no facts to back that up but I would think that would be about right.

googlelover

Reaction score

yeah some people use an unexplainable amount of data. To be in the top 5% I would guess you would have to use well over 50-100 gb's a month. That is a complete guess, I have no facts to back that up but I would think that would be about right.

Now thats a little high, that means there's roughly 300,000-500,000 people that use 50 gb's a month? I'm guessing its more like 20-30 gbs with a few HUGE data hogs.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

Now thats a little high, that means there's roughly 300,000-500,000 people that use 50 gb's a month? I'm guessing its more like 20-30 gbs with a few HUGE data hogs.

Yeah you are probably right. That would be a lot of people either constantly streaming or tethering.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

Blacksantron

Reaction score
I used 31 gigs last month. And I refuse to feel bad about unlimited data no matter how I use it. Tether or streamed. Data is data and I pay for unlimited. Eat me vzw.

Sent from my Supercharged Chainfired Cyanogenated DROID X @ 1.25

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used 31 gigs last month. And I refuse to feel bad about unlimited data no matter how I use it. Tether or streamed. Data is data and I pay for unlimited. Eat me vzw.

And that attitude is exactly why there is tiered data plans and there is a throttle on data. Yes unlimited data for your phone should truly be unlimited but tethering is clearly not included in that. But whatever that convo is for another thread.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

And that attitude is exactly why there is tiered data plans and there is a throttle on data. Yes unlimited data for your phone should truly be unlimited but tethering is clearly not included in that. But whatever that convo is for another thread.

Do you know how much data actually costs VZ? Its not much. Kinda like text messaging. It costs them about a penny for each text message, yet they charge a ton. I don't feel bad for Verizon.

CM74DX